Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Partitioning and dual booting

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:01 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
You don't need a link for Windows Updates. Just go to your Control Panel and select Updates.

It is possible that the problems that you are seeing are caused by the chipset drivers not being installed.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:29 am 
welcoming committee

Are you running 32 bit or 64, it makes a difference with the drivers?

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:31 am 

dvair wrote:
Are you running 32 bit or 64, it makes a difference with the drivers?

Good question David. I just assumed 64 bit.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:08 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
You don't need a link for Windows Updates. Just go to your Control Panel and select Updates.

It is possible that the problems that you are seeing are caused by the chipset drivers not being installed.

I went to the control panel and checked for updates and got error code 80072EFE. It also said recent updates "Never" and updates installed "Never". This is a 64bit Windows 7 Pro with service pack 1. If you think chipset drivers are the cause, where do I get them and how do I install them?

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:28 am 

You would get the chilset drivers from the same Dell page as the others.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:57 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
You would get the chilset drivers from the same Dell page as the others.

Oh great....now I can go to Computer Haven without the screen that said it might not be safe. When I went to that Dell page and clicked on the chipset file, it gave me a pop up that said it would not work but in the background I could hear my computer running and when it quit, everything worked just fine. Only two more problems left and then I can leave you alone for a while :) 1. When looking at videos such as those on youtube, they are very dark so I was wondering if there is a brightness setting. 2. How do I take the computer out of sleep mode? I like to leave it on all the time.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:46 pm 

Hitting any keyboard key should bring out of sleep mode but I've seen cases where hitting the power button was needed. Personally I don't like sleep mode as it can be a bit flaky at times.

As to the dark videos right click on the desktop and select display settings. I'm not sure that Windows 7 even had this feature but, if night light is there and enabled disable. Also from the same Dell page as the chipset drivers make sure to get and install the video drivers. Are you still using Chrome? If so try installing Firefox but try Windows Updates again first.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:12 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Hitting any keyboard key should bring out of sleep mode but I've seen cases where hitting the power button was needed. Personally I don't like sleep mode as it can be a bit flaky at times.

As to the dark videos right click on the desktop and select display settings. I'm not sure that Windows 7 even had this feature but, if night light is there and enabled disable. Also from the same Dell page as the chipset drivers make sure to get and install the video drivers. Are you still using Chrome? If so try installing Firefox but try Windows Updates again first.

Hi again....hitting the left mouse button brings it out of sleep mode and only takes a few seconds for everything to come back on so I can live with that. As for windows updates, I have tried to do that about 5 times but no luck, keep getting that 80072EFE error. I'm ok with that though because almost everything is working now. I was even able to download Mozilla and I made that my default browser. As for the dark videos, I am using a large TV screen as a monitor and I found out that it has settings to lighten or darken the screen....it's very complicated but I think in a month or so, I will have that problem solved.

So Thanks very much for all of your help in getting me from an 8-7 dual boot computer to a straight Windows 7 Pro computer with almost a terabyte of space.......lots of room for my videos. Need to get busy now and Install my Power Director 15. The box says it will work on everything from Windows 7 to Windows 11 64bit. Again, Thanks for all of your input.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:14 pm 

YW. :) LOL! Just for a blast from the past where is that trip to Victoria's Secret?
:rofl2:

Board index » Technical Forums » Partitioning and dual booting