Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » System Recovery

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:17 pm 
welcoming committee

Once again I have a question of curiosity, not having a problem. Sitting home because of Covid, and bored, I decided to explore and play.

When I first got this Win10 system, 2 1/2 years ago, I made a mirror backup using the built-in Windows tool which was a leftover from Windows 7. Naturally, I made a recovery USB key should Windows ever become unbootable. I don't remember how I made it but I almost certainly would have used Microsoft's directions.

So today I decided to reboot, plug in the key, and see what happened. This thing gave me two options. First: VerbatimSTORE N Go 1100. And second: VerbatimSTORE N GO 1100, Partition 1. I explored both which means I had to reboot a second time.

Both options looked identical to me. The screens were blue with white lettering and graphics, I'm sure that you are all familiar with the screens I am talking about. When I went into Troubleshooting and Advanced Options, again, everything offered to me was identical.

Question: would it have mattered which of the VerbatimSTORE N GO options I had chosen, would the results have been the same? I did not bother testing it because the last backup I made with the built-in Windows tool was almost a year ago.

Thanks all, stay healthy, Bill

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:41 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
That sounds similar to Sandisk's software that is intended to help protect files on the drive. I always remove it on a Sandisk drive by re-formatting the drive. In your case I would think that the two options are just different listings for the same type of thing thing but I've never used a Verbatim drive.

The problem I see is that you don't list an option to enter the recovery environment you should see since you setup the drive as recovery media. It is likely that the Verbatim boot software is interfering with the boot to the recovery environment.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:15 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
... The problem I see is that you don't list an option to enter the recovery environment you should see since you setup the drive as recovery media. ...

The last blue screen gives me 4 to 6 options, I don't remember. Among the options: System Restore, recover from saved image (I don't remember the words), go back to previous version of Windows 10, use USB or recovery media, etc.

Bill

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:18 pm 

OK, sounds like you are OK then.

I pretty much just use Sandisk but the software you initially listed is probably just another version of the same thing. I find it useless and remove but, since your drive is already set up, I'd just leave it alone.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:26 pm 
welcoming committee

There really isn't any third-party software involved, is there? This is all Windows stuff, even the mirror imaging.

I believe that last screen's options were: System Restore, System Image Recovery, Startup Repair, Command Prompt, Startup Settings. Go back to previous version of Win10 was in there somewhere.

I guess that I am going to assume that either Verbatim (that's just the brand of USB) option will do me since they both appear to be the same. I will probably never use this anyway, the grapevine says that Microsoft is going to remove the mirror image tool in a future update, like I said, just curious (and bored).

Thanks Jay.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:37 pm 

YW :)

VerbatimSTORE N GO is both the name of a Verbatim flash drive and the name of a Verbatim app. Since VerbatimSTORE N GO is listed as a boot option (If I read your initial post right) I have to figure that it is the app although it could just be the drive label.

Board index » Technical Forums » System Recovery