Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » System Recovery

Post Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:31 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I currently use Acronis True Image 2018 to backup my system drive to both a clone and internal/external image backups but do not have it actually installed on any system. I use an Acronis recovery CD that I made when Acronis was installed. I just didn't like the resources being taken by the installed version of Acronis.

I have also used DiskWizard which is a free lite version of Acronis supplied by most drive manufacturers. The recovery CDs built by Acronis and DiskWizard seem to work the same as to imaging, cloning and restoring.

My question is if I'm better off staying with Acronis 2018 or going to a current version of DiskWizard. In either case I would be working strictly with booting to the recovery CD, not an installed version. If I went with the current DiskWizard I would install, create a recovery CD and then uninstall DiskWizard.

Any opinions? :)

Post Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:35 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
...Any opinions?

Since you don't install either one, then what's wrong with updating? You would still have the old one available if you preferred.
Bill

Post Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:52 pm 

Acadia wrote:
jaylach wrote:
...Any opinions?

Since you don't install either one, then what's wrong with updating? You would still have the old one available if you preferred.
Bill

Sorry it has taken so long to get back but I kind of forgot...

Bill, you bring up a very good point as to updating my DiskWizard recovery CD by installing, burning the CD and then removing the DiskWizard install.

I guess that I stated my actual question badly. What I really wanted to know is if I would be better off staying with the Acronis True Image 2018 recovery media or going with the current DiskWizard. I guess my real concern is that I can't seem to find an answer as to if a clone or image backup made with the current DiskWizard would be compatible with Acronis 2018. I guess the best way to find out would be to try it out...

Post Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:10 pm 

Testing is done and good. :)

An image done with the most recent version of DiskWizard is seen and able to be restored with Acronis True Image 2018. I tested by creating an image backup with DiskWizard then doing a restore with Acronis 2018. It all went fine.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:18 pm 
welcoming committee

Most of the free ones will check to see if there is a drive present from the manufacturer that is supplying the free version of the software. So Seagate's software version will check for a Seagate Drive, it won't let you do two WD drives. Not a big deal but something to remember when cloning different drives.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:23 pm 

dvair wrote:
Most of the free ones will check to see if there is a drive present from the manufacturer that is supplying the free version of the software. So Seagate's software version will check for a Seagate Drive, it won't let you do two WD drives. Not a big deal but something to remember when cloning different drives.

All three of my systems qualify for using Seagate's version.

Board index » Technical Forums » System Recovery