Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » System Recovery

Post subject: Re: Image Restore issue
 Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:06 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
While I have done it, and it is obviously MUCH faster, I don't really like the idea of doing images to an internal drive. While I have never (knock on wood) had an infection more serious than a PUP there are other factors to consider. One such consideration would be a power surge.

Jay you raise some good points that people "should" consider but don't often do.

All my main images are to internal drives, but monthly I do a set to external USB drives.

As to power surges, both my desktops are on UPS systems that supply pure sine wave power. My external drives also plug into them. I have two types of USB drives. 1) Those that are permanently plugged in, and they all of on off switches. The others are powered by plugging them in, which I only do when using.

As to infections, also covered. All my browers are run under Sandboxie, which blocks access to My Documents and my other internal drives.

I also run Appguard, which prevents all guarded applications(browers,pdf applications, office applications) from writing to the system area, and when selected also block the other internal drives. So worries about internal drives is minimal to non existent.

Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:59 am 

Peter2150 wrote:
JoanA wrote:
I've got external hard drives I do image backups to. I have Acronis, Macrium and the native Windows File History I use.

Wise. More than one. Do you have Macrium V6?

No, well I don't expect I do as I only have the free version. Acronis is the paid version, although I'm not doing anymore upgrades as I don't see anything added that warrants the price. I'll stick with the 2014 version.

I don't use my 7 desktop that often now but that's permanently connected to a Seagate Expansion drive and looks after itself with regards backups via Acronis.
The other drives are the portable notebook type and I use them on my 8.1 Asus. There's another external in hubby's room for his computers running 7. :)

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:35 am 
welcoming committee

Took another look thru this thread and thought I'd update some things.

1. I use Macrium to switch back and forth from Win 7 to Win 10. I built the recovery environment from the Win 5PE option so it's 8.1. The same recovery environment works fine for both Win 7 and Win 10.

2. My Win 7 image is 1 partition the c: drive. The win 10 option is two partitions c: and one other small windows partition. Early efforts to get rid of that and move the boot stuff to C: were not successful so I just left it alone. Doesn't matter. With no change whatsoever in the restore procedure Macrium just does it correctly going both ways.

Pete

Board index » Technical Forums » System Recovery