Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:30 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
bbarry wrote:
Thanks, Jay. I had already used the path that Steve posted, and I didn't see any OneDrive startup. So hopefully I am home free at this point.

In my opinion, OneDrive proved to be a very messy and difficult software program to use...truly a POS and just another attempt by Microsoft to hook into your wallet.

Actually, with Office 365, there is not likely to be the issue you had with it filling up. If I remember right you get 5GB. With Office 365 you get 1TB. I use Microsoft 365 Personal which costs me $74.19 annually including tax. I can install on as many systems as I want but can only have Office apps open on 5 at a time, LOL! Not an issue. And not only is it 1TB One Drive storage but it is 1TB of One Drive storage for each install. Pretty good deal actually. ;) I don't actively use One Drive but I DO have a few items stored on-line, I just do it manually.

Anyway, if you don't get any One Drive prompts when rebooting all is good and there is no need to do anything else. If you do get One Drive prompts on a boot you can still get to the Startup that should show One Drive even though settings/apps/startup does not, you just need to do it through Task Manager instead of System Configuration. To get there you would type task manager in your search and hit enter (or just press Ctrl + Shift + Esc) then to to Startup. This will look different than the image I posted but is still functional. Instead of a list with check boxes you will just get a list that shows enabled/disabled but it is still functional. Just right click on One Drive if One Drive shows and is enabled and then select to disable.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:53 pm 
Site Admin

I find OneDrive to be very useful, though it can be a pain to configure *and* clearly, it is problematic if you have more data configured to sync than the free amount you are given. I have significantly more available OneDrive storage because I chose to use Office 365 Family for an annual subscription fee rather than buying multiple Office licenses and upgrading every few years for the latest. Office 365 gives me 1 Terabyte of online storage for each of up to 5 users (I have 2 users, myself and my wife) and all of the Office apps updated regularly on multiple devices. For me, the $100 annual subscription to Office 365 is a worthwhile expense.
I'm glad that your issue is finally resolved!

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:52 pm 
welcoming committee

Steve, I can see how Office 365 and OneDrive work for you and Jay. But at this point in my life, I don't want to purchase software on an annual basis via a subscription (except for Malwarebytes Premium). My personal copy of Office for Home & Office 2016 probably has more capability than I will ever use. Heck, I even still use my old purchased copy of Lotus 123 (I have spreadsheets going back to 1985 that I still use to track my Social Security earnings and contributions). And as Jay will attest, I even run Windows XP in virtual mode so that I can use a Calendar program and an Address Book program that are so old that they are no longer on the market.

In my case, OneDrive came installed on my Asus computer running Win 10 Home. So I never went through the setup process. And I never knowingly used OneDrive...it just sorta took over some backups. Then suddenly I received all sorts of red flags telling me I had exceeded my 5 GB limit (of which I really knew nothing about). Rather than purchase more OneDrive storage, I just decided to uninstall OneDrive. Unfortunately, it took many of my folders and files with it. That's when my troubles began and when I initiated this post.

Again, I thank you and Jay for all your help and guidance.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:25 am 
Site Admin

I completely understand why you wouldn't want to pay an annual subscription for Office! And with your current backup strategy, you don't need the OneDrive backup capability. I'm glad that we were able to help you regain control of your computer -- that's what we are here for. :-)
Have a great day!

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows