Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:02 am 
welcoming committee

For as long as i can remember i've been using the following command line at an elevated Command Prompt and i'd like to know if it'll still work with Windows 10 & 11 before i migrate from Windows 7.
Quote:
%SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535

It's not a big deal if it doesn't work, i'll just have to find another method for removing a lot of the crud Windows builds up over time.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:36 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Doddie wrote:
For as long as i can remember i've been using the following command line at an elevated Command Prompt and i'd like to know if it'll still work with Windows 10 & 11 before i migrate from Windows 7.
Quote:
%SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535

It's not a big deal if it doesn't work, i'll just have to find another method for removing a lot of the crud Windows builds up over time.

I have no idea but expect that it would still work as it seems to be using system variables.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:29 am 
welcoming committee

I just run Disk Cleanup from the shortcut in the Windows Tools menu. Using 11.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:16 pm 
welcoming committee

dvair wrote:
I just run Disk Cleanup from the shortcut in the Windows Tools menu. Using 11.

The Advanced/Extended version of Disk Cleanup expands on the default options available which is why i use it, think of it as a hidden option i guess.
In practice it probably doesn't save a whole lot of extra disk space but it does help in that i don't have to go hunting down things like error reports etc, i only run it probably once every 3 months or so... or when i'm bored and doing manual software updates etc.

How to Use Extended Disk Cleanup in Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8
https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/76383-disk-cleanup-extended.html

That said, after a little further research it does appear that the command line i posted earlier will work with Windows 10 and so will probably work with Windows 11:

How to Open and Use Disk Cleanup in Windows 10
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3012-open-use-disk-cleanup-windows-10-a.html
Scroll down the page: Option Two ~ To Open and Use Extended Disk Cleanup

However, it seems i have opened another can of worms that i need advice on, the website below that i'm not familiar with strongly suggests that "Windows ESD installation files" should NOT be checked... what are ESD installation files and are they really that important?

Windows 10 Advanced Disk Cleanup
https://www.tweakhound.com/2015/09/16/windows-10-advanced-disk-cleanup/

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:25 pm 
welcoming committee

I meant to add that i don't use a batch file to run the above in Windows 7 and i won't be changing that practice, so if ESD is an issue i'll just add a line into the text document that has the command line so i remember not to select it.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:03 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Why not just use the built in disk cleanup link?

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:09 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Why not just use the built in disk cleanup link?

It is the built in one, but by using elevated privileges you get additional options.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:55 pm 
Site Admin

This link should help, Doddie.
https://www.howtogeek.com/266337/what-should-i-remove-in-disk-cleanup-on-windows/

Removing the ESD files would cripple the "Reset your PC" recovery option. You can still do a reset if needed if you've removed the ESD files, but you would need to download the Windows Install Media to do so.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:06 pm 
welcoming committee

I delete these once a week as my regular maintenance. I clean the system files and then the regular files. I then go into my temp directories and delete the stuff that is still there.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:49 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks Steve, that did indeed help.

A while ago (years ago now) i downloaded a copy of Windows 10 that i burnt to DVD (along with purchasing 2 Windows 10 Pro product keys) and installed it so i know it and the keys work.

I've recently downloaded an ISO of Windows 11 from Microsoft so only time will tell if the Windows 10 (or indeed Windows 7) product keys will work for me with a fresh install of Windows 11, Jay hints they should so hopefully they will, but even if they keys don't work with a fresh install of Windows 11 they should work for an upgrade from 10 to 11 (i hope lol).

Anyway, as i'll be burning the Windows 11 ISO to DVD or USB i presume that will count as install media, meaning even if the ESD files are deleted i should still be able to 'reset' using the media i use to burn the Windows 11 ISO too?

At the end of the day it's not a big deal if i make a complete mess of things because i am confident that my Windows 10 disk works and if the worst happens, as it invariably will given my history of playing around with new Microsoft operating systems when i migrate... i'll probably have to re-install very soon anyway as i learn what NOT to do lol! :omg:

The whole reset [ESD] thing i suspect might turn out to be moot anyway given i'll be making backups (probably with Macrium) as i go along, that and my system drive is always on a standalone partition so even if i have to reformat the C partition i shouldn't lose any data.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

Doddie wrote:
Anyway, as i'll be burning the Windows 11 ISO to DVD or USB i presume that will count as install media, meaning even if the ESD files are deleted i should still be able to 'reset' using the media i use to burn the Windows 11 ISO too?

The Reset from within Windows might not work, but booting from the DVD/USB to use the Advanced Recovery Options would work. Of course, with your image backups that is indeed a moot point. :-)

-steve

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows