Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post subject: Windows 11 Slide Show
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:32 pm 
welcoming committee

I can't find anything to click on in my pictures folders that will create a Slide Show on my new Windows 11 Computer. Is this no longer a feature as it was in Windows 7?

Post Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:38 pm 
Site Admin

The ribbon options for Pictures in File Explorer is no longer in Windows 11, though there are "hacks" to bring that back:
https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/view-images-slideshow-explorer-windows-11/
Alternatively, this article expands a few options available to you -- https://appuals.com/get-old-photos-slideshow-windows-11/
-steve

Post Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:49 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
In Windows 11 you can also go to personalize in settings then background. There you should find the option to select the background to be a slide show with the option to select a folder of images for the slideshow.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:09 pm 

Here is probably better with an image to describe.

Attachment:
11-slideshow.jpg
11-slideshow.jpg [ 414.89 KiB | Viewed 8635 times ]

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:04 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
The ribbon options for Pictures in File Explorer is no longer in Windows 11, though there are "hacks" to bring that back:
Alternatively, this article expands a few options available to you -- https://appuals.com/get-old-photos-slideshow-windows-11/
-steve

No luck trying to make it work Steve. Windows 11 has way too many options to turn stuff off and on and most of it is Greek to me.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:10 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
In Windows 11 you can also go to personalize in settings then background. There you should find the option to select the background to be a slide show with the option to select a folder of images for the slideshow.

Hi Jay, I was able to make my background images go into slideshow mode but the fastest speed was once a minute and I want once every 2 seconds with the option to pause and just click to go every second.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:27 pm 

Allyson wrote:
jaylach wrote:

Hi Jay, I was able to make my background images go into slideshow mode but the fastest speed was once a minute and I want once every 2 seconds with the option to pause and just click to go every second.

Good luck with that. There MAY be third party software that will do this but it isn't going to happen through Windows.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:29 pm 
Site Admin

Allyson wrote:
sboots wrote:
-steve

No luck trying to make it work Steve. Windows 11 has way too many options to turn stuff off and on and most of it is Greek to me.

From the article, I suspect that the easiest option for you is to download and install Winaero Tweaker and select the option to restore the classic ribbon to File Explorer.
https://winaero.com/winaero-tweaker/
"All you need to do is install it as a normal application, then cycle through the options on the left-hand side to enable the following:
Classic Full Context Menus
Enable Ribbon
Once you do this and the settings are enforced, reboot your PC to make the changes appear on your PC.
The next time you boot Windows 11, you will be able to deploy slideshows in the same fashion as you were able to on Windows 10."
This program is freeware and has been around for a long time. I have no personal experience with it and there are tons of options available to tweak the Windows environment, so use with caution if you decide to go this route.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:46 pm 

sboots wrote:
Allyson wrote:
sboots wrote:
-steve

From the article, I suspect that the easiest option for you is to download and install Winaero Tweaker and select the option to restore the classic ribbon to File Explorer.
"All you need to do is install it as a normal application, then cycle through the options on the left-hand side to enable the following:
Enable Ribbon
Once you do this and the settings are enforced, reboot your PC to make the changes appear on your PC.
The next time you boot Windows 11, you will be able to deploy slideshows in the same fashion as you were able to on Windows 10."
This program is freeware and has been around for a long time. I have no personal experience with it and there are tons of options available to tweak the Windows environment, so use with caution if you decide to go this route.

I will vouch for Winaero Tweaker as I use it extensively. It allows MANY registry hacks with just hitting an option, no registry knowledge needed.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:07 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
sboots wrote:
Allyson wrote:
sboots wrote:
-steve

Enable Ribbon

I will vouch for Winaero Tweaker as I use it extensively. It allows MANY registry hacks with just hitting an option, no registry knowledge needed.

This downloaded ok and when I ran the program, it did show "Classic Full Context Menus" but there was no Enable Ribbon on the left side. I thought I might shut the computer down and see what happens. It says to click on The Start button to shut down but I have no idea where the start button is. After a bit I was able to find the shut down button and I restarted the computer and after it rebooted, there was no change.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:29 am 
Site Admin

I just looked at the change log for WinAero Tweaker and found that the option for the classic ribbon restoration is gone from Windows 11 22H2, so the developer hid that option in the program.
https://winaero.com/winaero-tweaker-1-40-is-here-with-new-features-and-fixes/
"Other changes
In Windows 11 version 22H2 the ability to re-enable the ribbon UI in File Explorer has gone. Also in this version, Microsoft doesn't allow to move the newer taskbar from the bottom. So I am hiding these options on 22H2+."
Well, that stinks. :-(

It doesn't appear that there is an easy way to get the slideshow functionality you want within File Explorer. Back to the links I posted previously, one of them listed 3rd party apps that you can use to create slideshows -- unfortunately, that's not as easy as simply navigating to a folder of photos and triggering a slideshow where you can control the speed. A 3rd party app may still be a decent solution...

Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:19 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
I just looked at the change log for WinAero Tweaker and found that the option for the classic ribbon restoration is gone from Windows 11 22H2, so the developer hid that option in the program.
https://winaero.com/winaero-tweaker-1-40-is-here-with-new-features-and-fixes/
"Other changes
In Windows 11 version 22H2 the ability to re-enable the ribbon UI in File Explorer has gone. Also in this version, Microsoft doesn't allow to move the newer taskbar from the bottom. So I am hiding these options on 22H2+."
Well, that stinks. :-(

It doesn't appear that there is an easy way to get the slideshow functionality you want within File Explorer. Back to the links I posted previously, one of them listed 3rd party apps that you can use to create slideshows -- unfortunately, that's not as easy as simply navigating to a folder of photos and triggering a slideshow where you can control the speed. A 3rd party app may still be a decent solution...

Nothing seems to work for me in Windows 11. None of my programs will load...not even my MS programs like Expression Encoder 4 Screen Capture SP2. I purchased a book, "Windows 11 for Dummies" and hopefully it will help me. Should be here after the Holiday. I had hoped to make a new beginning with Windows 11 but something tells me I will be running back to Windows 7

Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:22 pm 

Allyson wrote:
Nothing seems to work for me in Windows 11. None of my programs will load...not even my MS programs like Expression Encoder 4 Screen Capture SP2. I purchased a book, "Windows 11 for Dummies" and hopefully it will help me. Should be here after the Holiday. I had hoped to make a new beginning with Windows 11 but something tells me I will be running back to Windows 7

Before you even THINK about trying to drop this system back to Windows 7 make VERY sure that there are Windows 7 device drivers available which is doubtful.

Do the failed programs actually install but won't run or will they not install at all? Let's take Expression Encoder 4 Screen Capture as an example. Does it not install or does it install but won't run? In either case Compatibility Mode MAY help. We'll get back to this once this and the following questions are answered. Keep in mind that you are trying to do things that are obsolete and no longer supported. For instance Expression Encoder 4 Screen Capture was dropped after Windows 7.

What is the EXACT Windows version? Is there an 'S' involved in the version other than the 'S' in the word Windows?

<edit>
I would still like a link to the page where you bought the system; the page where you added the system to your cart and then purchased.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:15 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Allyson wrote:

Before you even THINK about trying to drop this system back to Windows 7 make VERY sure that there are Windows 7 device drivers available which is doubtful.

Do the failed programs actually install but won't run or will they not install at all? Let's take Expression Encoder 4 Screen Capture as an example. Does it not install or does it install but won't run? In either case Compatibility Mode MAY help. We'll get back to this once this and the following questions are answered. Keep in mind that you are trying to do things that are obsolete and no longer supported. For instance Expression Encoder 4 Screen Capture was dropped after Windows 7.

What is the EXACT Windows version? Is there an 'S' involved in the version other than the 'S' in the word Windows?

<edit>
I would still like a link to the page where you bought the system; the page where you added the system to your cart and then purchased.

Expression Encoder 4 Screen Capture installed to some extent but when I go to use it, it brings up a window that says: Change, Repair, or Remove.......that's all it does.
As for running back to Windows 7, that is not what I meant. I was talking about putting Windows 7 back on the big 56" Tv Screen in the Living Room and Windows 11 back on the small 36" tv screen with the other 3 computers in my computer room.

There is no S involved in the version:
Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎12/‎12/‎2022
OS build 22621.963
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22638.1000.0

The computer was bought from Amazon on 12/8/2022.....It was a Dell [Windows 11 Pro] Inspiron 3910 Business Desktop Computer, 12th Gen Intel Hexa-Core i5-12400 up to 4.4GHz (Beat i7-11700), 64GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB PCIe SSD, DVDRW, WiFi 6, Bluetooth, Type-C

Post Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 2:08 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Allyson wrote:

<edit>

What can I do in Windows 7 to enable Compatability Mode?

Post Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 3:22 pm 

In Windows 7 or 11 you will find the compatibility setting by right clicking on the app and selecting properties.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:34 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
In Windows 7 or 11 you will find the compatibility setting by right clicking on the app and selecting properties.

On my new Windows 11 Pro computer, I clicked on the start button and it brought up quite a few Apps but "compatibility" was not one of them. In the top right corner of that window, it had a link to "all apps". I clicked on that but "compatibility" was not listed. Anything else I might try?

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:08 pm 
welcoming committee

You need to right click the app icon itself to get the menu to pop out for it, Compatibility will be one of the options.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:36 pm 
welcoming committee

dvair wrote:
You need to right click the app icon itself to get the menu to pop out for it, Compatibility will be one of the options.

You will have to be a bit more clear in your description "right click the app icon itself". On my windows 11 pro, when I click on start, it displays all of my pinned apps which total 18 apps, none of which is Compatibility. In the top right corner of the window showing my pinned apps, it says all apps > and an arrow like that one.......there is no icon there and when I click on the arrow, it opens up all of my apps. When that opens, there is a list of quite a few more apps but "Compatibility" is not listed.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:00 pm 
welcoming committee

Try this, right click the app. Select Open File Location. When the Window opens up, right click the app in here and select show more options on the bottom, the next menu that opens up has a troubleshoot compatibly option.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:27 pm 

Please keep in mind that there is no stand alone comparability app and never has been. Compatibility is a tab under the properties for the app.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:49 pm 
welcoming committee

dvair wrote:
Try this, right click the app. Select Open File Location. When the Window opens up, right click the app in here and select show more options on the bottom, the next menu that opens up has a troubleshoot compatibly option.

I have no idea which app you are asking me to right click on.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:09 pm 

Allyson wrote:
dvair wrote:

I have no idea which app you are asking me to right click on.

The one that you want to make compatible. This assumes that you were able to install the app and it won't run. If it actually won't even install you would do this on the program that is supposed to do the install.

To be honest I can't understand why you would want a slide show that only displays each image for 2 seconds anyway; that would drive me more nuts than my normal state. ;) Not saying there is anything wrong with this; I just don't understand the desire.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:08 pm 
Site Admin

I don't mean to "pile on" by adding instructions, but perhaps this will help:

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/run-older-programs-in-compatibility-mode-in-windows-11-10/

What the article doesn't explain is how to locate the exe file for the program you wish to run. I am not near a Windows 11 PC to confirm the detailed steps, but you should be able to right click the program icon in the programs list to see Properties, which should show you the target for that shortcut -- which would typically be the main executable or exe file for the program.

You would need to repeat this for each older program that isn't working properly for you under Windows 11, but worked in Windows 7 or XP, for example.

-steve

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:19 am 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
I don't mean to "pile on" by adding instructions, but perhaps this will help:

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/run-older-programs-in-compatibility-mode-in-windows-11-10/

What the article doesn't explain is how to locate the exe file for the program you wish to run. I am not near a Windows 11 PC to confirm the detailed steps, but you should be able to right click the program icon in the programs list to see Properties, which should show you the target for that shortcut -- which would typically be the main executable or exe file for the program.

You would need to repeat this for each older program that isn't working properly for you under Windows 11, but worked in Windows 7 or XP, for example.

-steve

Thanks Steve, I will give this a try and let you know it if works or not.

I was able to get two old programs to work using the above method. One of the programs was called "Instagiffer" and although it works, it still has a glitch. Just as in Windows 7, it places the completed gif on the desktop and names it "insta" In order to add more gifs, the name has to be changed to insta1 and insta2 etc; Thats when I found out that none of my desktop icons allow me to change the names........so, the question becomes, how do you change a shortcut icon name on Windows 11?

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows