Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post subject: Windows 11
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:00 pm 
welcoming committee

Any suggestions for the best antivirus internet security software to install on my new Windows 11 computer?

Post subject: Re: Windows 11
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:07 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I use Windows Defender, which is built in, and Malwarebytes Premium.
https://www.malwarebytes.com/premium

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:07 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I use Windows Defender, which is built in, and Malwarebytes Premium.
https://www.malwarebytes.com/premium

Thanks Jay, got it on the way.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:36 am 
welcoming committee

I would completely agree with Jay's recommendation, oh, and congrats on your new system.
Acadia

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:23 pm 

YW :)

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:51 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
YW :)

Hi Jay, I got Windows 11 installed ok, also Malware and I have one problem already. There is no sound. The speakers are built into the tv monitor which in turn is connected to the computer. They worked ok on Windows 7 but not here on 11. Also of no concern at the moment but I thought it was rather odd, In the control panel for 11, one of the items is Back up and Restore and in parentheses it says Windows 7.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:42 am 

The backup option that says Windows 7 is just the image backup that was originated in Windows 7. It is not anything like making the system Windows 7.

As to the audio issue the sound applet is probably set to the system's built in audio, likely Realtech. Click the Start Button and type control panel and click on the result. Go to the sound applet and select different audio devices as the default until you have sound.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:08 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
The backup option that says Windows 7 is just the image backup that was originated in Windows 7. It is not anything like making the system Windows 7.

As to the audio issue the sound applet is probably set to the system's built in audio, likely Realtech. Click the Start Button and type control panel and click on the result. Go to the sound applet and select different audio devices as the default until you have sound.

I went to the control panel>sound and it showed 3 options, Speakers, Headphones, and Digital Audio HDMI. There is only a single outlet on the back of the computer for sound. Speakers is highlighted and a set of external speakers does give me sound on one monitor but not the other. I am not using Headphones so no need for that option and the last option is Digital Audio HDMI which is probably what I need but no idea what that is or how I get it. It says it is not plugged in so what is it that I have to plug in?

Another issue is that the computer keeps shutting off after about 5 minutes so I am assuming that it is going into sleep mode so I need to know how to stop that.

Issue 3 is that the screen resolution does not allow everything to show on the screen. It is currently set to the highest resolution and going lower makes it worse.

Issue 4 does not allow me to plug in a usb 1000tb drive unless I format it which would lose everything on the drive. On Windows 7, it gave me the option to continue without formatting. Any way to resolve that issue?

Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:33 pm 

How is the system connected to the monitor? If using an HDMI cable then you would want HDMI audio.

You would control sleep mode in 'power and sleep' under system is settings or at least that is where it is in Windows 10.

On the screen resolution it tends to indicate that you are probably connected via HDMI. Look in your display settings for an option for HDMI scaling. Your monitor may also have a size control that could be used to do the same thing.

Personally I've never heard of a 1000TB drive. :dunno: I assume that you mistyped the size. ;) I don't off hand know of a work-a-round but someone else may.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:54 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
How is the system connected to the monitor? If using an HDMI cable then you would want HDMI audio.

The system "is" connected to the monitor using an HDMI cable but under that option, it says it is not connected so what do I have to do to change that option to "connected" and make that the default?

Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:47 pm 

Have you tried setting HDMI audio as the default yet? If not it may show as connected once selected. You could also try a different HDMI cable if available.

Can you give a link to the system?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:04 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Have you tried setting HDMI audio as the default yet? If not it may show as connected once selected. You could also try a different HDMI cable if available.

Can you give a link to the system?

That HDMI option disappeared and now there is only one option under sound and it is called Cirrus Logic Superior High Definition Audio. Where the other two options fled to I don't know. The Cirrus one does play sound on the external speakers of one monitor. Not sure what you mean by a link to the system. I would like to put a shortcut to notepad on my desktop so if you can tell me how to do that, it would be great.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:02 pm 

By a link I meant a the site from which you bought the system. I wanted to see the specs for your new computer.

Personally I'd contact the support for the system and have them lead you through the process of using HDMI audio if that can be done. While I'd be surprised if it were the case I suppose that it could be possible that your video card does not channel audio along with the video via HDMI.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:04 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
By a link I meant a the site from which you bought the system. I wanted to see the specs for your new computer.

Personally I'd contact the support for the system and have them lead you through the process of using HDMI audio if that can be done. While I'd be surprised if it were the case I suppose that it could be possible that your video card does not channel audio along with the video via HDMI.

I got the computer from Amazon, following is the specs:
Dell Inspiron 3910 Business Desktop Computer 12th Generation Intel Hexa-core i5-12400 Processor 32GB RAM 2TB SSD + 1TB HDD Intel UHD Graphics 730 HDMI DisplayPort Bluetooth DVD-RW Win11

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:30 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Personally I've never heard of a 1000TB drive. :dunno: I assume that you mistyped the size. ;) I don't off hand know of a work-a-round but someone else may.

A 1000tb usb drive is just my way of saying that it is one that would hold everything I would gather in a lifetime and MS Windows 11 is saying we really don't know if you have errors in there or not but just to be safe, you need to format the drive and start over.....grrrrrrrr.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:54 pm 
Site Admin

Allyson wrote:
The Cirrus one does play sound on the external speakers of one monitor. Not sure what you mean by a link to the system.

On the monitor that sounds plays from, is that connected to the computer solely with an HDMI cable?

On my desktop PC (running Windows 10 as it is older), I have two monitors connected via HDMI to the PC. Both monitors have built-in speakers. I can select to play sound through either monitor as the preferred audio output device, but not both at the same time. The monitor speakers are too "tinny" for my taste, so I have a set of speakers (5.1) connected to the PC which I use as the default audio output.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:41 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
Allyson wrote:
The Cirrus one does play sound on the external speakers of one monitor. Not sure what you mean by a link to the system.

On the monitor that sounds plays from, is that connected to the computer solely with an HDMI cable?

On my desktop PC (running Windows 10 as it is older), I have two monitors connected via HDMI to the PC. Both monitors have built-in speakers. I can select to play sound through either monitor as the preferred audio output device, but not both at the same time. The monitor speakers are too "tinny" for my taste, so I have a set of speakers (5.1) connected to the PC which I use as the default audio output.

Hi Steve....I have two monitors that are both connected to the computer with an HDMI Cable, one is in the living room on my big wide screen TV and the other monitor is in what I call "my computer room". The HDMI cable that is used runs through a switch so when turned, one monitor goes off and the other goes on. I too have in mind to use External Speakers which hopefully will solve my sound problems. I must say at this point I am not a fan of Windows 11 because I like lots of shortcuts on my desktop and so far I have not found a way to get them there. Also, many windows that pop up to change things show what can be changed but they don't change anything when clicked on.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:41 am 
Site Admin

See if this will help as far the shortcuts -- https://www.guidingtech.com/top-ways-to-create-desktop-shortcuts-on-windows-11/

As for the monitor, I'm suspecting that the existence of the HDMI switch may be the issue. Speakers will certainly help, but not for the TV located away from the PC, at least not easily!

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:15 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
See if this will help as far the shortcuts -- https://www.guidingtech.com/top-ways-to-create-desktop-shortcuts-on-windows-11/

As for the monitor, I'm suspecting that the existence of the HDMI switch may be the issue. Speakers will certainly help, but not for the TV located away from the PC, at least not easily!

Thanks Steve, that site solved my shortcuts on the desktop problem. I also found a link while roaming around on youtube that helped very much with getting rid of things that I really don't need on my Windows 11.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx3H8BolgaI

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows