Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post subject: Windows 7 usb ports
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:16 am 
welcoming committee

If you will recall, a while back I was having some problems because l had several usb devices plugged into one port and Jay had me use different ports for each device and that corrected my problem. At that time, I also moved quite a few videos to an external usb hard drive and I went to view some of the movies today and all of them are very jumpy and stop for a second or so and then go again. I then moved a single movie from the usb hard drive back to my "C" drive and it worked ok so I am wondering if this is part of the original problem I had or something else. Short videos like those on America's got talent seem to work just fine but all the movies around 750mb or more are all very jumpy and cannot be watched.

Post subject: Re: Windows 7 usb ports
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:22 am 
Site Admin

I wouldn't say that it's the original problem. It could be the USB device itself that isn't able to handle the data output at a speed needed for a stable video or it could be that the USB port you are using is a USB 1.0 port which is slower than USB 3.0.
Jay will likely have more to say on the situation when he checks in as he is the video guy!
:-)

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:10 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
First, if the system is always on, try restarting.

Second, if the USB device is plugged into a front port try a back port.

If you have USB3 ports make sure to use one. They will normally be blue.

Try copying some of the videos to a flash drive and then try playing from the flash drive. Use the same USB port as is currently being used. If all is good using the flash drive the issue is probably the original USB device.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:42 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
First, if the system is always on, try restarting.

Second, if the USB device is plugged into a front port try a back port.

If you have USB3 ports make sure to use one. They will normally be blue.

Try copying some of the videos to a flash drive and then try playing from the flash drive. Use the same USB port as is currently being used. If all is good using the flash drive the issue is probably the original USB device.

Restart and Front or back port did not help. Copied a movie to a flash drive and used the front port and it worked ok so it looks like the 2tb usb external drive has a problem. Seems to store stuff ok but does not playback without the jumping. I opened a fortune cookie yesterday and it said, "My best years are ahead of me" so I am off to buy a new 2tb usb drive and see if I can transfer all the data from the old drive to the new one. Thanks for your help guys.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:47 pm 

Before buying a new drive I'd go to properties for the external and then tools. Optimize the drive which equates to a defrag. It is possible that the drive storage is just overly fragmented which could possibly cause the issue you describe just to the drive having to hunt down the data. This isn't all that likely but something I'd do before replacing the drive.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:47 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Before buying a new drive I'd go to properties for the external and then tools. Optimize the drive which equates to a defrag. It is possible that the drive storage is just overly fragmented which could possibly cause the issue you describe just to the drive having to hunt down the data. This isn't all that likely but something I'd do before replacing the drive.

Did it and checked it out but the videos continue to be jumpy so I ordered a new Drive......it will be here on Saturday. I imagine it will take some time to transfer all the files. Thanks again for your help Jay.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:33 pm 

I hope that it works out.

Just out of curiosity what do you use for a media player? I should have asked this earlier as some are better than others. If the new drive does not help we will look at players.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows