Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:30 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi guys,
Need some advice here. My situation is as follows: Dell XPS 8930. Two drives, C drive is an SSD running Windows 10. D drive is a 1 T SATA drive running Windows 11. I have set up a dual boot which is working fine.

After working with Windows 11 I find that it is somewhat slow, slower than the Win 10 on C drive. The PC is totally compliant with Win 11, and I can upgrade to Win 11 with no problem.

My question is: Can I turn C drive to Win 11, format D drive, and remove the dual boot?
My thinking is with an SSD running Win 11 it will it run faster. Obviously, I don't want to screw up the boot sequence. Can I do this? This would also free up my D drive for data storage.

Of course, the first question is whether I really need to do all this. In your opinion will it speed things up? Or do you think I should leave things alone?

Again, thanks for any advice you can me.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:49 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
The real question is if you want to dual boot...

Yes, Windows 11 would run better if installed on the SSD but do you have a need to upgrade to Windows 11 other than just wanting to run the thing.

Now it gets a little more complicated. Can you make the C: drive Windows 11? Sure, just do an upgrade install by starting the Windows 11 install within Windows 10.

Can you get rid of the dual boot menu? Yes but it is easier to not bother. Just boot to Windows 10 and open the Control Panel. Under System select the advanced options and set the boot menu display time to zero with the OS you want set as the default. The system will now boot to the selected default OS without any noticeable delay. Unless your BIOS is really old you would still be able to boot to Windows 11 if you wanted.

There are other options available but you need to describe what you want as the end result before we discuss such options. For instance you could partition the D: drive to be used for a Windows install but still have a section of the drive available as data. Just need to know what you want as the end result before delving into such aspects.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:53 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks Jay.
I will probably upgrade to Win 11 on the C drive (now Windows 10). I am not really happy about how fast Win 11 now runs. I do do some gaming and it has been slowed down in Win 11.

I like your idea about changing boot times for now. Later I'll probably use the D drive for storage as I previously mentioned. I'll give myself some time to see how the upgrade works.

I've decided that I like Windows 11 and will probably use it most.

Anyway, again I thank you for your insights and advice.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:37 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Glad that you seem happy with how things are. :)

Just keep in mind that there are things that you can do with the 1TB D: drive. For instance you could use Disk Management to reduce the size of your current Windows 11 drive size by say setting it to where 200GB is left for the Windows 11 install and then set the remaining 800GB for data. If there is a folder currently on the D: drive called Windows.old you could even use that to revert the Windows 11 install back to Windows 10. Then you could do an upgrade install of Windows 11 on the SSD. Not saying that you should do any of this. I just want you to be fully aware that you DO have options.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows