Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:50 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I think it possible that the failed installs may have messed up the hard drives. Personally I'd mount the drives in a working system, either internal or external, and see what Disk Manager says about them. If Disk Management sees them I'd try removing all partitions and set up as a simple partition taking the entire drive. If Disk Management fails I would try EaseUS Partition Master.
https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/?adbing&msclkid=aa9bb07f13ef18421533efb9b200741a&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=easeus%20search%20us&utm_term=easus%20partition%20master&utm_content=easeus%20partition%20master

The above assumes that you selected to do an advanced install of Windows configuring the drives as a single partition.

How do I mount the drive in a working computer externally.......also where can I see the Disk Manager to see what he says about it?

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:13 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
To mount externally you would put the drive in a USB drive enclosure or dock. If you don't have one you are sort of out of luck.

For Drive Management go to your Control Panel then Administrative Tools. Select Computer Management then Disk Management.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:40 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
To mount externally you would put the drive in a USB drive enclosure or dock. If you don't have one you are sort of out of luck.

For Drive Management go to your Control Panel then Administrative Tools. Select Computer Management then Disk Management.

OK......got there and it says 951.2gb NTFS Healthy Active Primary Partition
Image Back up Healthy Logical drive, Healthy System Active Primary Partition, abd Windows Healthy Boot Page file.Crash Dump Primary Partition

This is one of the hard drives that will not boot up

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:03 pm 

Allyson wrote:
Image Back up Healthy Logical drive, Healthy System Active Primary Partition, abd Windows Healthy Boot Page file.Crash Dump Primary Partition

OK, so it is a 1 TB drive that looks OK and has at least part of a Windows install judging by it stating Page File. But just to be sure let's setup the drive again. Right click on all shown partitions and select to delete or remove. You should now show unallocated space for the entire drive. Right click on the unallocated space and select to create a new simple partition and follow the prompts using all available space.

Put it back in the system in question and try to install Windows 7. I say Windows 7 as I just have a hunch that XP is just too old to install on your hardware. You could even try installing Windows 10. If you try 10 bypass entering a key code during install then enter a Windows 7 or 8/8.1 code once in Windows. The 10 version has to match the 7/8 code. In other words if the code is for Home edition you need to install the 10 Home edition.

Once you have a working Windows install I will be happy to guide you through setting up an XP virtual machine. It really isn't hard.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:02 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Allyson wrote:

OK, so it is a 1 TB drive that looks OK and has at least part of a Windows install judging by it stating Page File. But just to be sure let's setup the drive again. Right click on all shown partitions and select to delete or remove. You should now show unallocated space for the entire drive. Right click on the unallocated space and select to create a new simple partition and follow the prompts using all available space.

Put it back in the system in question and try to install Windows 7. I say Windows 7 as I just have a hunch that XP is just too old to install on your hardware. You could even try installing Windows 10. If you try 10 bypass entering a key code during install then enter a Windows 7 or 8/8.1 code once in Windows. The 10 version has to match the 7/8 code. In other words if the code is for Home edition you need to install the 10 Home edition.

Once you have a working Windows install I will be happy to guide you through setting up an XP virtual machine. It really isn't hard.

Hi Jay...........I came across another hard drive and put it in one of the computers that would not boot and I now have a computer that boots up to Windows 7 Pro and about 800gb of free space. One thing I need to know before we do this is whether or not it will affect the files because there are quite a few videos on this computer that I dont want to lose.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:11 pm 

If what will affect files? Installing a virtual machine? If so, no installing a virtual machine will not affect any existing files. Still it is always better to be safe than sorry. Make a backup of any important data files such as the videos.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:40 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
If what will affect files? Installing a virtual machine? If so, no installing a virtual machine will not affect any existing files. Still it is always better to be safe than sorry. Make a backup of any important data files such as the videos.

Ok, I think I have enough room for them on one of my USB Hard Drives so will get that going and get back to you

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:00 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:

OK Im ready. I hope we get this done soon because my sister is having a fit with the computer stuff I have all over the place.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:36 pm 

I assume that we are going with a virtual machine...

We need to make sure that your system supports hardware virtualization and that it is enabled. This will determine which version of VirtualBox we install.

This utility should work with either an AMD or Intel CPU.
https://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/CPU-Tweak/AMD-Virtualization-Technology-and-Microsoft-Hyper-V-System-Compatibility-Check-Utility.shtml
Unzip and right click on the app and select to run as admin. It will tell you if the CPU has hardware virtualization but not if it is enabled.

Last mentioned you were running an Intel I5. Is this true of the current machine? If so download and run the following instead of the above.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=592

Once checked we will get VirtualBox downloaded and installed.

<edit>
Actually this may be easier with no downloads.
1) Click Start and type run and hit enter.
2) Enter cmd and OK
3) At the proppt type systeminfo.exe and hit enter.
4) Look for the Hyper-V requirements. There are probably 4 entries and hopefully all say 'Yes'. The most important are the top two.

This is what you are after:
Attachment:
2020-12-01_18-45-10.jpg
2020-12-01_18-45-10.jpg [ 88.34 KiB | Viewed 3660 times ]

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:08 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I assume that we are going with a virtual machine...

We need to make sure that your system supports hardware virtualization and that it is enabled. This will determine which version of VirtualBox we install.

This utility should work with either an AMD or Intel CPU.
https://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/CPU-Tweak/AMD-Virtualization-Technology-and-Microsoft-Hyper-V-System-Compatibility-Check-Utility.shtml
Unzip and right click on the app and select to run as admin. It will tell you if the CPU has hardware virtualization but not if it is enabled.

Last mentioned you were running an Intel I5. Is this true of the current machine? If so download and run the following instead of the above.

Once checked we will get VirtualBox downloaded and installed.

<edit>
Actually this may be easier with no downloads.
1) Click Start and type run and hit enter.
2) Enter cmd and OK
3) At the proppt type systeminfo.exe and hit enter.
4) Look for the Hyper-V requirements. There are probably 4 entries and hopefully all say 'Yes'. The most important are the top two.

This is what you are after:
Attachment:
2020-12-01_18-45-10.jpg

Nothing Like that came up. There were no files with yes yes yes after them

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:17 pm 

Ya, I just tried it on my Windows 7 laptop and it didn't display what I was looking for.

Try this one if I'm right about you running an I5 CPU or any Intel.

Or this one if AMD, actually I think it works with either. Remember that it has to be run as an Admin.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:30 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Ya, I just tried it on my Windows 7 laptop and it didn't display what I was looking for.

Try this one if I'm right about you running an I5 CPU or any Intel.

Or this one if AMD, actually I think it works with either. Remember that it has to be run as an Admin.

Those downloads are always to complex for me to understand......it has the word download in at least 3 places and down arrows everywhere and the only thing I got was MS changed my opening page to them. I think if I am to ever see Windows XP again, I will have to buy a computer that already has it installed.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:55 pm 

It's up to you as to if you want to drop this; let me know... To be honest I think that you will have a hard time finding a system to buy with XP installed.Hmmm, mayhaps not. I just looked and found some. I can't be held responsible for the quality of the following.

Tower, $89.99
https://www.walmart.com/ip/REFURBISHED-Optiplex-GX745-Small-Form-Factor-250GB-HDD-4GB-Ram-DVD-Rom-Windows-XP-Professional/911555627?wmlspartner=wmtlabs&adid=22222222222066619586&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=84112641732536&wl4=pla-4587712268848771:aud-807615483&wl12=911555627_10000005893&wl14=buy%20computer%20with%20windows%20xp%20installed&veh=sem&msclkid=c6c076c01d841b6e66be2907117364c2

A Laptop, $165.00
https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Latitude-Laptop-2-0Ghz-Profesional/dp/B001P9CZ9O/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&hvadid=2066549394&hvbmt=bb&hvdev=c&hvqmt=b&keywords=Windows+xp+refurbished&qid=1606880771&sr=8-3&tag=mh0b-20

The Microsoft link only has one download link. Once you click Download there are two choices but the second is just a user guide which isn't needed.

The other proper download link is at the upper left.
Attachment:
2020-12-01_20-34-51.jpg
2020-12-01_20-34-51.jpg [ 188.75 KiB | Viewed 3655 times ]

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:59 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
It's up to you as to if you want to drop this; let me know... To be honest I think that you will have a hard time finding a system to buy with XP installed.Hmmm, mayhaps not. I just looked and found some. I can't be held responsible for the quality of the following.

Tower, $89.99
https://www.walmart.com/ip/REFURBISHED-Optiplex-GX745-Small-Form-Factor-250GB-HDD-4GB-Ram-DVD-Rom-Windows-XP-Professional/911555627?wmlspartner=wmtlabs&adid=22222222222066619586&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=84112641732536&wl4=pla-4587712268848771:aud-807615483&wl12=911555627_10000005893&wl14=buy%20computer%20with%20windows%20xp%20installed&veh=sem&msclkid=c6c076c01d841b6e66be2907117364c2

A Laptop, $165.00
https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Latitude-Laptop-2-0Ghz-Profesional/dp/B001P9CZ9O/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&hvadid=2066549394&hvbmt=bb&hvdev=c&hvqmt=b&keywords=Windows+xp+refurbished&qid=1606880771&sr=8-3&tag=mh0b-20

The Microsoft link only has one download link. Once you click Download there are two choices but the second is just a user guide which isn't needed.

The other proper download link is at the upper left.
Attachment:
2020-12-01_20-34-51.jpg

OK, I have downloaded that second link "Softpedia" now whats next?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:20 am 

Unzip and right click on amdvhyperv.exe. Select to run as admin.. This is supposed to work with both AMD and Intel CPUs. We shall see as to Intel as I already know it does with AMD. The thing is that it will tell if capable but not if enabled although it MIGHT say something if not enabled...

It should tell us if your system is capable of hardware virtualization. If not an earlier version of VirtualBox will be needed; version 5.x instead of the current 6.x. We may go with version 5.x regardless as bbarry had some issues with version 6.x and XP but not with 5.x. I have no issues with version 6.x but I am full blown as to hardware virtualization.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:44 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Unzip and right click on amdvhyperv.exe. Select to run as admin.. This is supposed to work with both AMD and Intel CPUs. We shall see as to Intel as I already know it does with AMD. The thing is that it will tell if capable but not if enabled although it MIGHT say something if not enabled...

It should tell us if your system is capable of hardware virtualization. If not an earlier version of VirtualBox will be needed; version 5.x instead of the current 6.x. We may go with version 5.x regardless as bbarry had some issues with version 6.x and XP but not with 5.x. I have no issues with version 6.x but I am full blown as to hardware virtualization.

I think I need that earlier version. I downloaded the one you told me and I can't even find it on my computer. Its not in my download folder and I looked everywhere on the computer and it does not show up.........so I tried to download it again and it said that it's already downloaded.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:11 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, I was forced to upgrade to Virtual Box 6.0 a few weeks ago, and no problems so far.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:13 pm 

Thanks BB. :)

Allyson, are you talking about the tool to check your system or VirtualBox that you tried to download?

Still, assuming that you are running an I5 CPU (would you confirm that?), it should have hardware virtualization.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:39 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Thanks BB. :)

Allyson, are you talking about the tool to check your system or VirtualBox that you tried to download?

Still, assuming that you are running an I5 CPU (would you confirm that?), it should have hardware virtualization.

I am talking about that Softpedia thing you showed me what to click on up above. I downloaded it and whatever I was supposed to get does not appear on my computer or it's there and I cant find it. The specs on the computer read as follows: Intel (R) Core (TM) I5-4460 cpu@ 3.20 GHz 8.0 gb Ram, 64 bit OS. I have not downloaded Virtual Box at this point.

You also mentioned that this has to be run as "Administrator" and maybe that is the problem. How do I proclaim myself as Administrator? Maybe I am just a low level user? I did buy the computer new and I am the only user.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:58 pm 

Since the CPU is an I5 let's just assume that it has hardware virtualization. Being an I5 it should.

I'm going to put the VirtualBox instructions in another thread as a bit of a tutorial. The link will be:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2522
It will take a bit of time to get the instructions up.

BTW, when stated to run as admin it means to right click on the file and select the run as admin option.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:11 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Since the CPU is an I5 let's just assume that it has hardware virtualization. Being an I5 it should.

I'm going to put the VirtualBox instructions in another thread as a bit of a tutorial. The link will be:
https://computerhaven.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2522
It will take a bit of time to get the instructions up.

BTW, when stated to run as admin it means to right click on the file and select the run as admin option.

I let that other thread you sent me to , to run for an hour but nothing came up

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:13 pm 

I'm not done with the tutorial yet. I will post here when done. It is taking a while as I'm doing images of each step...

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:44 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I'm not done with the tutorial yet. I will post here when done. It is taking a while as I'm doing images of each step...

Ok, no problem Jay.......just so glad you are doing all this for me

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:51 pm 

No problem. I've been intending, but putting off, doing such a tutorial anyway.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:08 pm 

Tutorial is done through Windows XP installing. There are a few things I'll add after the install is done.

Here is the tutorial. I hope that it is found to be informative and helpful...
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2522&p=26804#p26804

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows