Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:10 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
If you use sticky notes and ran into an issue after upgrading from Windows 10 version 1809 to 1903 it is a known issue with no release from Microsoft as to when it will be fixed.

Still you can get a fully working sticky note system back. There is a Windows Tweaker called Winaero Tweaker that will enable you to bring back sticky notes classic which was part of Windows 7 or 8/8.1; I'm not sure which. Install and run; scroll all the way down in the left pane and you will find the option for Classic Sticky Notes. When downloading through the following link make sure to select the link that specifically states to download Winaero Tweaker as there are other links on the page.

https://winaero.com/download.php?view.1796

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:04 am 

After the talk about this I've just tried it and mine at present is still working, still got the box come up that Sticky Notes are moving but I clicked on the new button and got the cross-thread that enabled me to take a snip. I didn't try to save the snip just closed the box via the red close button but did get the box asking if I wanted to save and I just said no and it closed.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:21 pm 

The Windows 10 version of Sticky Notes SEEMS to be working on my system also but, since I don't actually use it, all I did was to select to make a new note a few times and tried them out.

You lost me on a couple of points Joan.
1) I don't seem to have a 'New' button, just a plus sign that serves the purpose.

2) I have no idea as to what you mean by taking a snip for a note...

Like I said, I don't use Sticky Notes. ;)

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:45 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, I have used Sticky Notes for years. I normally use 5 Notes. Previously, my set of 5 Notes could be toggled on/off my monitor screen using the Sticky Notes icon on my taskbar. All 5 would go back on my screen in the established positions.

The program now has a Notes List. But just because my 5 Notes appear on the List doesn't mean that they will now appear on my monitor screen. And once I get all 5 Notes to appear and then close out Sticky Notes and then reopen it, one or more of my Notes will have disappeared from my screen. So I have to repeat the process to once again see all 5 Notes.

Like I said, before when I had my 5 Notes where I wanted to see them on my monitor screen, I could merely toggle the Sticky Notes icon on my taskbar to make them appear or disappear. Now when I toggle the icon, I never know what I am going to get....some Notes missing, most in different positions, etc.

The process of viewing/hiding the Notes use to be very smooth, now it's very awkward. IMHO, Microsoft took a nice feature that wasn't broken, and they broke it. And now they don't even know when they can fix it. :x

So as you suggested, I used Winaero Tweaker and installed the old Sticky Notes Classic version, which again is working fine.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:47 pm 
welcoming committee

JoanA wrote:
After the talk about this I've just tried it and mine at present is still working, still got the box come up that Sticky Notes are moving but I clicked on the new button and got the cross-thread that enabled me to take a snip. I didn't try to save the snip just closed the box via the red close button but did get the box asking if I wanted to save and I just said no and it closed.

Joan, it sounds like you are describing your experience with the Snipping Tool and not Sticky Notes. Could that be the case?

Post Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:27 am 

Oops! you're right BB it was the Snipping Tool I was on about which I use on a regular basis. I've never used Sticky Notes and don't actually know where it is, it isn't something I've looked for though.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:35 am 
welcoming committee

Joan, if/when interested, you can find Sticky Notes under the alphabetical listing of programs after you click the Start button.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:05 pm 

Thanks BB, probably won't be something I'll bother with but at least I'll know where it is. :-)

Post Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:18 pm 
welcoming committee

JoanA wrote:
Thanks BB, probably won't be something I'll bother with but at least I'll know where it is. :-)

Joan, I use Sticky Notes for several things. For example:
(1) I do a lot of internet shopping at Amazon & Walmart, so I keep my shopping list as a Sticky Note
(2) I have many trail cameras that I use to photograph the wildlife around my place, so I keep a record of when I change the camera batteries on each as a Sticky Note
(3) I have three Windows computers in my house (current, old & older); I keep a Sticky Note showing when both automatic and manual backups are done for each.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:18 pm 

Interesting, number 1 and 3 apply to me apart from the number of machines, there are 5 in my house 6 if you count my Lumia phone.

Amazon already keep a list of my previous orders if I need to re-order anything and my other regular shopping sites keep my lists as Favorites so I don't really need to keep another list anywhere. :-)

Post Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:43 pm 
welcoming committee

JoanA wrote:
Interesting, number 1 and 3 apply to me apart from the number of machines, there are 5 in my house 6 if you count my Lumia phone.
Oh, I didn't count my iMac, iPhone, and 2 iPads either, lol. But I let these do their own auto backups.
Amazon already keep a list of my previous orders if I need to re-order anything and my other regular shopping sites keep my lists as Favorites so I don't really need to keep another list anywhere. :-)
I also take advantage of re-ordering previous items. But I use my Sticky Notes to keep a current list of what it is I need to reorder or newly order. Just something I've done for years out of habit. I also use the little yellow Post-it notes all around the house to remind me of things I need to do.....and as I get older, the more notes I need. :?

Post Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:53 pm 

LOL! I'm a bit more haphazard. A list for my grocery shopping? I just wander around the store and get what strikes my fancy... Of course I go back the next day to pick up what I actually needed but didn't get because, of course, I'll remember and don't need a list. :mrgreen: I don't really do a lot of shopping on-line for things that I'd be likely to reorder except for my bird food and that is set up to automatically ship every 90 days.

Actually I've tried sticky notes now and then but they just don't seem to fit me. For things a ways away that I need to remember I just use my system calendar or jot it down on the magnetic dry erase board on my fridge.

This is why there so many options; so each can pick and choose what works best for them. :D

Post Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:42 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, I spent 30 years supporting NASA, where haphazard was not an option. So I guess my need to stay organized in many ways is a carryover from those days.

I do my best thinking sitting at my computer, so maybe that's why I use Sticky Notes; I also use a computer calendar to help me schedule & remember events.

But as you (almost) said...different strokes for different folks. Like back in my motorcycle riding days. I much preferred the deep throaty sound of a 4-stroke Harley Davidson vs the ping-ping-ping sound of the 2-stroke 'rice burners', lol.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:59 pm 

bbarry wrote:
Jay, I spent 30 years supporting NASA, where haphazard was not an option. So I guess my need to stay organized in many ways is a carryover from those days.

I do my best thinking sitting at my computer, so maybe that's why I use Sticky Notes; I also use a computer calendar to help me schedule & remember events.

But as you (almost) said...different strokes for different folks. Like back in my motorcycle riding days. I much preferred the deep throaty sound of a 4-stroke Harley Davidson vs the ping-ping-ping sound of the 2-stroke 'rice burners', lol.

LOL! Since my last 'rice burner' was a four stroke 1100 Honda Shadow I'll forgive the 'ping-ping-ping' part. :rofl2:

Not saying anything against using sticky notes, I just don't seem to have the need.

Actually I wrote a bit of software for NASA back in the early-mid 1980's. Actually NASA Lewis Research Center in Cleveland Ohio. It was an encrypted password entry system for their work stations totally written in Assembly.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:42 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
bbarry wrote:

LOL! Since my last 'rice burner' was a four stroke 1100 Honda Shadow I'll forgive the 'ping-ping-ping' part. :rofl2:
Oh no! A 4-stroke Honda was not what I call a rice burner.....the Shadow was a nice bike. I'm talking about the 2-strokes that actually did go ping-ping-ping. I actually had many Hondas....175, 350, 450, 750 and even a Goldwing. I had all of these when Harley was just an oil puddle waiting to happen. But Harley Davidson finally got their act together and produced a great motorcycle. Heck, while I was waiting for that to happen, I even owned Suzuki, Yamaha and Kawasaki 4-strokes. I rode motorcycles for 55 years all over the country and never had an accident, although I did drop my Goldwing once from a standstill when I though the kickstand was down....that didn't hurt anything but my pride.
Not saying anything against using sticky notes, I just don't seem to have the need.
I understand. But after I explained how I used Sticky Notes, you and Joan were quick to point out why you don't need them. ;)
Actually I wrote a bit of software for NASA back in the early-mid 1980's. Actually NASA Lewis Research Center in Cleveland Ohio. It was an encrypted password entry system for their work stations totally written in Assembly.
Good for you, Jay. I knew some people from Lewis, but most of my work was done in support of Marshall Space Flight Center (Huntsville, AL) and Johnson Space Center (Clear Lake, TX).

Post Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:53 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
If you use sticky notes and ran into an issue after upgrading from Windows 10 version 1809 to 1903 it is a known issue with no release from Microsoft as to when it will be fixed.

Jay, do you know whether this Sticky Notes issue has been fixed yet? I can't seem to find anymore about it, and I hate to give up my Classic Sticky Notes until it has been fixed. Thanks.....

Post Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:23 pm 

You need not give up on the Classic Sticky Notes to check out the Windows 10 version. Just try the Windows 10 Sticky Notes to see if there is a change. I doubt that there would be any effect on the Classic version.

Personally I doubt that it will be fixed before the fall 2019 feature update.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows