Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:02 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I don't know how long it's been there but the October 2018 build update for Windows 10 is available. To be honest I sort of forgot about the thing and just checked.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:38 am 

They started to roll out the 1809 upgrade again a few days ago Jay, I'm just letting my machines tell me when they are ready for it rather than force the update.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:36 am 

Nothing wrong with that Joan. I just like to get them out of the way plus I'd rather install via a DVD rather than Windows Updates.

BTW, the update went fine on my main system, haven't done the other two systems yet.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:29 pm 

Got 5 machines here that will need the update, 2 desktops and 3 laptops, hubby hasn't said anything yet about it so I'm taking that as his desktop and laptop haven't been offered it yet.

I know they're doing the rollout in waves so they don't have the trouble they had when it was first released.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:06 pm 

WOW! Actually I'm impressed at something with this update. There are times that I'll have three or four games loaded at the same time and switch back and forth between via the Taskbar. The time from clicking an icon in the Taskbar to the game being up and ready is, at least, cut in half, probably quicker.

<edit>
Actually it would seem that the entire performance of my M.2 system drive has been dramatically improved.

<edit #2>Doing some video conversions this evening. My conversion drive is a standard SSD. I am also seeing an increase in quickness on the conversions. It would seem that this new build does a better job of handling standard SSD and M.2 drives. Trust me in that I do a LOT of video conversions. The difference is obvious to me as to conversion times.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:19 am 

Final thoughts (maybe :mrgreen: ) on this October 2018 Windows 10 update. Just speculation but looks good to me. :)

Main system:
I've decided, but don't really know, that the performance increase on my main system is due to a change in either physical memory and/or swap file (virtual memory) management. For instance the case I stated as to having three or four games minimized to my taskbar. The three that are almost always loaded are Zuma Deluxe, Plants VS Zombies and Yahtzee. Before the update selecting one of the games to bring back up took a couple of seconds for Yahtzee to 5-6 seconds for Zuma or Plants. Now any of the three are just about instant. It is my thought that it is possible that the games used to be thrown to the swap file and loaded back in when selected. I think that they now may remain in physical memory if available. Since I have 32 GB of RAM physical memory is pretty much always going to be available.

The increase in performance while doing video conversions could also be explained by better memory management. It is my thought that it is possible that the conversions are now making full use of my RAM where there used to be many more disk writes. For instance I converted an MP4 video file to DVD format and the hard drive busy light hardly ever came on.

For ages the Windows 10 weather app failed to work properly. The app would open an empty window for a couple of seconds and close. I got around this by pinning a link to the web version to my Taskbar. I tried all the fixes shown through searches with no success. Actually the app worked fine it logged in as a different user account but would not work on my main account. Several other apps also would not work. Since the update all the apps are working properly. This issue seemed to be pretty common.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1920

Second system
Quite a while back I posted an issue with this system where I had to do a re-start every 2-3 days or I'd lose the functionality of my right click context menu. It was thought likely that it was due to a memory leak due to either old software and/or video drivers.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1786
Since doing the update I am now on day six without a re-start. This would also seem to indicate the possibility of a change in memory management.

Of course everything in this post is speculation but is the best guess that I can make. Bottom line is that this update seems to have resolved some issues and increased system performance. I am quite pleased. :)

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:49 pm 
welcoming committee

It sure is nice when an update really is.

William A. Gustafson
I know I have forgotten more than I can ever hope to remember.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:21 pm 

BillG wrote:
It sure is nice when an update really is.

Yes it is Bill. ;)

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:27 pm 

While related, sort of, my posts were not really what Corrine was talking about when she started the thread "Changes in Windows 10, Version 1809" ( viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1987 ) so I split the thread to put it back to what Corrine actually seems to have intended.

Sorry about sort of taking over your thread Corrine... :(

Post Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:44 pm 
welcoming committee

No need to be sorry and your experiences would certainly provide others with information that may be helpful with the 1809 version. It still hasn't been offered to my laptop but my desktop of the same vintage (2008) is on the latest Insider Build with no issues.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows