Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:02 pm 
welcoming committee

Occasionally my new Win 10 Upgrade computer would freeze, which would require a reboot. So I decided to run 'sfc /scannow'. This told me I had some corrupt files that Windows Resource Protection could not fix. I ran 'sfc /scannow' three times with Fast Startup turned off and restarting my computer each time. Same results........corrupt files.

So I ran 'dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth'. Then I got the Error Code 0x800f081f and the message that the source files could not be found and that I should use the Source option to specify the location of the required files.

That's when I realized that I did not know what/how to do next. Maybe I need to do a 'repair', but I'm not sure how to do that (I don't want to lose any programs, settings, etc.).

What's the best way to fix corrupted files in Win 10? Any suggestions would be appreciated. :?

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:46 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
While you can reset the system and keep your personal files you cannot do so and keep your installed programs if you use the recovery options within Windows 10.

However you can do a repair install with your install DVD. Of course, even though you have some issues, do a system image first. Here is a link to step by step instructions.
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1639 ... grade.html
You will be looking at the ISO method even though you will be using your install DVD. Note that you will need to turn off secure boot in your UEFI. There are a few other factors that you look at in the pink/red box in the link.

The repair install will create a Windows.old folder which is already on your system. Just rename your current Windows.old folder to Windows.old7 or what ever... the '.old7' would indicate that it is the '.old' folder for restoring Windows 7. It is important that the proper name be returned before the automatic deletion of this folder after 30 days comes up. I can't say exactly what would happen if not done but you might be stuck with the thing forever as you cannot delete all of it even as an admin nor can the built in admin account delete all of this folder. <edit> Actually I must correct myself on this point. Apparently you can delete the Windows.old folder via Disk Cleanup. Just tried it and sure enough Disk Cleanup will totally remove Windows.old. Go figure... neither a user admin account nor the built in admin account can do so but Disk Cleanup can. :dunno:

Another option would be to revert back to Windows 7 and repeat the upgrade back to Windows 10 but the above method is probably half the time.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:53 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks, Jay. I have a couple of questions before I start the repair install:
(1) I assume this is the best way to fix corrupt files? I wonder why Windows Resource Protection could not fix them?
(2) I recently created a Win 10 System Repair disk when I was doing a Windows image backup.....why won't this work as a repair option? If it won't, then what was the purpose of creating this disk?
(3) I had previously downloaded the WIN 10 ISO and burned it to a DVD. I assume this is what I use and then follow his instructions for an ISO, i.e., click on setup.exe?
(4) During the repair, if I choose to keep personal files and apps, I assume apps encompasses all the programs I have installed (e.g., Lotus 1-2-3, Acronis True Image, Macrium, M/S Word, Photo Gallery, SyncToy, etc.)?

And I remember what you said about using Customize rather than Express settings.

Again, thanks.....

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:19 pm 

1) Since I've never used Resource Protection I can't really answer but it is possible that it wanted your install DVD to access files.

2) The restore disk is to provide basic restore features such as restoring a system image and fixing boot issues.

3) Yes, you would use the DVD that you made from the downloaded ISO file.

4) I can't promise anything which is one of the reasons that I said to make an image first. Apps is the new word for programs, there is no real difference between the two. I would assume but cannot prove that anything currently installed would survive.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:49 pm 
welcoming committee

Why not just restore from image backup and see if the problem still exists.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:56 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks again.......I will try the repair install in the morning when I'm fresh.

I did go into the log file and discovered that the reported corrupt file was 'opencl.dll'. I then Googled it and came to this most-interesting website that says this is a known issue within Win 10 Version 1511, which is the version I am running.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 995&auth=1

But even if sfc gave me incorrect results, the fact remains that my screen sometime freezes, so I probably need to do the repair install. I swear, Windows is getting too darn complicated. :shock:

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:00 pm 
welcoming committee

dvair wrote:
Why not just restore from image backup and see if the problem still exists.

It may come to that. I have several image backups, but they are fairly current.......most of them created after I first experienced the screen freezes, so I thought they would probably contain the corrupt file(s).

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:05 pm 
Fearless Leader

My question is the same as dvair's. You've got system images. This is the sort of thing you use them for. Why not restore an image?

Secondly, why are you getting corrupt files? I would do a hard disk scan and a memory scan. Right-click your C drive in This PC and choose Properties. Go to Tools. Run Error Checking. (You've got intact backups, right?)

Then download a memory checking program. Microsoft has one, there are probably others as well. Jay or Steve or Pete can probably point you to a good one.

Well of course there is the malware angle, but I suspect you've got good security, right? I wouldn't normally expect malware to be the source of this sort of thing, but it can be. So I'd do a virus scan and Malwarebytes scan as well.

These are all lengthy processes. I'd start with a hard drive check first. A failing drive could fail with all of these types of scanning activities. Might as well find that out first.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:14 pm 

@ David and Patty: I'd love to agree as to just restoring an image but this is a case where BB almost does image backups too often. In all probability, as BB states above, his images contain the corrupt files. Of course this does not mean that restoring an image is a bad thing to try. ;)

This is the main reason that I do what I call a 'base line image'. This is an image of each system after the initial install, updates and major software installs. This is different from my following images as it is a 'root' backup. It is the system as newly done with zero issues.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:44 pm 
Fearless Leader

He did say almost all his images were relatively new. I was hoping that meant he had an older one. ;)

You know what? I just read this whole thread from the start again, and frankly, I don't trust System File Checker. Not when you have updates replacing Windows files. Is the SFC database if files being updated every time Windows updates? If not, I wouldn't trust it to determine if a file is corrupt or not. It sounded like a great idea when Microsoft first introduced it way back when. In my experience over many years though, it has been worthless. Perhaps less than worthless. Really. I *am* telling you what I really think. ;)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:56 pm 

I can't say as to whether or not I trust System File Checker as I don't believe that I've evr even ran the thing.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:39 am 
welcoming committee

The easiest thing to try is a reinstall of your video drivers, this should install the latest opencl.dll file and may help with the screen freezing.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:46 pm 
welcoming committee

BB, I would go back to win 7

Seriously, my experience with Win 10 on a new machine was excellent, but the
upgrade on my win 7 system, sketchy at best

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:19 pm 

dvair wrote:
The easiest thing to try is a reinstall of your video drivers, this should install the latest opencl.dll file and may help with the screen freezing.

I am totally embarrassed! ;) I was so involved with the wording of the question as to resetting and repair that I never really looked at the reference to the dll file.

Agreed that a reinstall of the video drivers with the latest would be a good place to start. In fact, when I upgraded my Win 7 media system to 10 the first thing I did was to grab the latest drivers for the video card specifically for 10. I haven't yet but intend to do the same for my mother board drivers and such.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:38 pm 
welcoming committee

Even though M/S reported my video drivers as current (11/5/15), I went to the NVIDIA GeForce website and downloaded updated drivers (6/6/16) for my GTX950. But I still have the corrupt 'opencl.dll file' issue and I still have random computer freezes where keyboard and mouse become inoperable and taskbar clock stops.

Per Patty's suggestion, I also did a hard disk scan and a memory scan..........no reported problems with either. And no problems when I did a MBAM scan.

I'm not to the point yet where I want to do a repair install or system image restore every time I encounter a problem with Win 10. I prefer to try and find out why the problem(s) occurred so maybe I can correct it and prevent it from happening again.

So I kept searching the internet for discussions/solutions as to why Win 10 freezes. Then I ran across another tenforums thread consisting of 597 postings covering 60 pages..........all regarding random Win 10 freezes. So at least I'm not alone. Here is that thread.
http://www.tenforums.com/general-suppor ... domly.html

I'm really beginning to think that Win 10 (at least the upgrade) is a POS, and I'm about ready to take Pete's advice and revert to Win 7 before my due date of 17 July. Specifically, here are my plans:
- For the next few days I am going to continue searching for reasons/solutions for Win 10 random freezes.
- If I don't find a solution, I will then do a repair install
- If a repair install doesn't help, I will then try a system image restore
- If I still get random freezes, I will revert to Win 7.
- QED

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:42 pm 
welcoming committee

At least I'm assuming that I can revert to Win 7 after I perform a Win 10 repair install and/or system image restore. With Win 10, you just never know........so I guess I better investigate that, lol.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:00 pm 

I wish I could be of more help but it is hard when I can't duplicate the issue.

Remember that, if you do a repair install, it will create its own Windows.old folder so you MUST rename the Windows.old for the Windows 7 install to something else. Even with this it is possible that you would need to revert back to before the repair install to be able to do the revert to Windows 7. Of course, before doing the actual revert to Windows 7 you would need to rename the Windows.old folder associated with 7 back to the original Windows.old name.

Does the 'freeze' of the screen happen in specific situations such as while running a specific program?

Does the mother board of this system also have built in video while you are actually using an add-on video card? If so look at the BIOS and disable the graphics ability of the built in video. There could possibly be a conflict. I admit that I'm grasping at straws but this is a possibly viable situation.

If I remember correctly you are using an NVidia video card. Is it actually made by NVidia or another company such as MSI or Sapphire? If by another company did you go to that companies site to get the current drivers or did you go to NVidia? It is best to go to the actual manufacturer.

A little trick that may or may not help would be to allow Windows to re-install the device. You would do this, in this case considering the .dll file reported, by going to Device Manager and removing the device meaning your video card.

1) Go to Device Manager and then right click on your video card.

2) Select to uninstall.

3) Follow through and then shut down the system by totaly shutting down and removing power... You know the drill on this; unplug and hit the power button.

4) Start the system and Windows will see the video card and reinstall the thing.

5) No, I cannot promise that this will help but it should not hurt and only takes a few minutes. When you do this you are basically resetting the device as to its association to Windows.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:06 pm 

bbarry wrote:
At least I'm assuming that I can revert to Win 7 after I perform a Win 10 repair install and/or system image restore. With Win 10, you just never know........so I guess I better investigate that, lol.

I figure that the best method would probably to do the following...
1) Create a current system image.

2) Do the repair install.

3) If the issue persists (and you have exhausted the other options from my previous post) Restore the image and revert to Windows 7.

The potential issue here is that all Windows can do is detect the processor on the video card. Windows says that all is OK as it recognizes the chip. But it is quite possible that a third party supplier has modified things on the card, this Windows cannot detect. If a Windows install were to even come close to this kind of detection it would probabbly take at least a dozen DVDs to do an install.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:32 pm 
Fearless Leader

Bb, your concern about being able to revert to Windows 7 after a repair install or restoring an image is not unwarranted. It could certainly turn out that you can't. Why not start with the simplest solution given? Reinstall the video driver.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:35 pm 

MacDuffie wrote:
Bb, your concern about being able to revert to Windows 7 after a repair install or restoring an image is not unwarranted. It could certainly turn out that you can't. Why not start with the simplest solution given? Reinstall the video driver.

As per a few posts above BB has already tried installing the latest drivers.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:37 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Does the 'freeze' of the screen happen in specific situations such as while running a specific program?
Very random.

Does the mother board of this system also have built in video while you are actually using an add-on video card? If so look at the BIOS and disable the graphics ability of the built in video. There could possibly be a conflict. I admit that I'm grasping at straws but this is a possibly viable situation.
How can I tell if the motherboard has built in video? The motherboard is a Asus Z170-P Intel Z170 base chipset.

If I remember correctly you are using an NVidia video card. Is it actually made by NVidia or another company such as MSI or Sapphire? If by another company did you go to that companies site to get the current drivers or did you go to NVidia? It is best to go to the actual manufacturer.
How can I tell if NVidia or MSI? Literature says 2GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX950 GDDR5. And I went to NVidia website to get updated drivers.

A little trick that may or may not help would be to allow Windows to re-install the device. You would do this, in this case considering the .dll file reported, by going to Device Manager and removing the device meaning your video card.

1) Go to Device Manager and then right click on your video card.

2) Select to uninstall.

3) Follow through and then shut down the system by totaly shutting down and removing power... You know the drill on this; unplug and hit the power button.

4) Start the system and Windows will see the video card and reinstall the thing.

5) No, I cannot promise that this will help but it should not hurt and only takes a few minutes. When you do this you are basically resetting the device as to its association to Windows.
I can try that after you answer my above questions regarding video and motherboard. When I updated the NVidia drivers, that included an updated opencl.dll file. And remember in one of the M/S references I mentioned in an earlier post, M/S admitted that sfc.exe incorrectly reports that opencl.dll is corrupt if you are using Win 10 Version 1511 (which I am).

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:50 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
bbarry wrote:

I figure that the best method would probably to do the following...
1) Create a current system image.

2) Do the repair install.

3) If the issue persists (and you have exhausted the other options from my previous post) Restore the image and revert to Windows 7.
So are you saying that Windows would need this restored image in order to revert to Win 7?
The potential issue here is that all Windows can do is detect the processor on the video card. Windows says that all is OK as it recognizes the chip. But it is quite possible that a third party supplier has modified things on the card, this Windows cannot detect. If a Windows install were to even come close to this kind of detection it would probabbly take at least a dozen DVDs to do an install.
You lost me here, Jay. Remember that ALL this hardware worked in Win 7, including motherboard, video card, etc. I have changed nothing. And until I updated my NVidia drivers today, I went with all the drivers installed by Win 10.

By the way, Jay, thanks for hanging in here with me on this issue....an issue shared by hundreds of other Win 10 users as noted in the tenforums thread of 597 posts, cited above.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:27 pm 
welcoming committee

On the video driver install- did you do an express install or custom? It's best to do the custom and you can uncheck items that you don't need, 3D drivers and such. Also you have the ability to have the installation program uninstall the older drivers by selecting to do a clean install. You can rerun the driver setup program again and do the custom install if you didn't do it before. I always uncheck the 2- 3D options and uncheck the Geforce Experience option.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:10 pm 
welcoming committee

dvair wrote:
On the video driver install- did you do an express install or custom? It's best to do the custom and you can uncheck items that you don't need, 3D drivers and such. Also you have the ability to have the installation program uninstall the older drivers by selecting to do a clean install. You can rerun the driver setup program again and do the custom install if you didn't do it before. I always uncheck the 2- 3D options and uncheck the Geforce Experience option.

Thanks for the input, David. But it's too late, as I already did the express install. And as best I remember, I had to download/install the GeForce Experience to start the whole process (and at my DSL speeds, that took about 21 minutes). And I just assumed that it was a clean install.....why wouldn't the old drivers be uninstalled during this process?

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:31 am 
welcoming committee

You can reinstall again right over top, you don't have to download again as it saves the driver package on the hard drive in the C:\Nividia folder. You have to do the Custom to get a good "clean" installation. There will be a check box you need to click on to do the clean one, it appears on the same screen as the options to choose what to install.

You can also uninstall the extra features you don't need from the Programs and Features in the Control panel.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows