Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post subject: Sneaky-Pushy
 Post Posted: Wed May 18, 2016 4:01 pm 
welcoming committee

http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-wind ... aky-pushy/

Maybe it's time for me to go to "never ever" with regard to updates on my Windows 7 pro computer.

Post subject: Re: Sneaky-Pushy
 Post Posted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:29 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I don't know... I must be doing something either right or wrong. I have allowed the Get Windows 10 upgrade update on my Windows 7 Ultimate desktop as I intend to upgrade to 10 for a short period of time. Under Customize for the notification area where the icon shows I just set it to not show so it would not take up visible space.

I have never been bothered by this update nor have I ever received a popup. Who knows it just may be possible that it 'thinks' that my upgrade is in progress or, at least initiated, as I did allow the thing to check my system for compatibility.

Post Posted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:48 pm 
welcoming committee

Allyson wrote:
http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-windows-10-upgrades-get-more-sneaky-pushy/

Maybe it's time for me to go to "never ever" with regard to updates on my Windows 7 pro computer.

Hi Allyson

What I do is automatically hide the optional updates. Then on the important updates, I hide all the non security updates. I install the dot net and the security updates, and that is it. I also go thru the info link to see what the security updates are.

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:29 pm 

It doesn't bother me on my Windows 7 machine, the icon sits in the notification area but of course after it did the check at the beginning it can't upgrade as the CPU is not compatible.

I don't know if hubby still gets notified about it on his machines, they can be upgraded but he decide not to bother and I know the icons still sit in the task bar.

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:50 pm 
Fearless Leader

How to block Windows 10 upgrades on your business network (and at home, too):
http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-blo ... -home-too/

I'm assuming this still works. This article is from March. I'm sure Ed will write another, if needed, for the current upgrade push.

And by the way, it's even worse. I read on another mailing list, that simply closing the window using the Red X, is read as OK - and the update is scheduled.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:00 pm 
welcoming committee

Allyson wrote:

Well, I don't know everything about this Win10 update thing but here is my tiny knowledge. The two updates that YOU WANT TO AVOID ARE KB2952664 and KB3035583. I have hidden these two updates many times but they keep coming back! :smash1: So I guess computerdom in the modern Microsoft age requires constant vigilance. I have said this MANY times in this forum, one of my computer security gurus Steve Gibson has stated: "This is MY computer!". Do we live in a democracy or what? MICROSOFT, leave me alone!
Acadia

Post Posted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:30 pm 
welcoming committee

Acadia wrote:
Allyson wrote:

Well, I don't know everything about this Win10 update thing but here is my tiny knowledge. The two updates that YOU WANT TO AVOID ARE KB2952664 and KB3035583. I have hidden these two updates many times but they keep coming back! :smash1: So I guess computerdom in the modern Microsoft age requires constant vigilance. I have said this MANY times in this forum, one of my computer security gurus Steve Gibson has stated: "This is MY computer!". Do we live in a democracy or what? MICROSOFT, leave me alone!
Acadia

I have changed my settings to "check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" I hid KB3035583 also but it came back to haunt me. If that happens again, I'm going to never ever land.

Post Posted: Sun May 22, 2016 3:07 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi Acadia

Problem is yes you own your computer, but you don't own the operating system, MS does.

P

Post Posted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:49 pm 
Fearless Leader

Has anyone done the registry edits from the article I referenced in my last post?

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:27 pm 

MacDuffie wrote:
Has anyone done the registry edits from the article I referenced in my last post?

Not yet on my end. I'll try them but not until I upgrade my Win 7 desktop to 10 then make an image of 10 and restore 7. After that I will try the registry hacks. This will probably be Tuesday or Wednesday.

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:10 am 
Fearless Leader

Thanks, Jay. I would like to know if they work. I appreciate your willingness to test these sorts of scenarios. I know a fair amount of work is involved.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:17 am 

No real work at all. I already intended to do the upgrade to 10 and then image and restore 7. If the registry hacks mess anything up I just restore 7 again, no big deal.

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:24 pm 
Fearless Leader

I split off the rest of the posts on this thread as topic very cleanly changed. Look for it in Advanced/System Recovery forum.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:26 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
And by the way, it's even worse. I read on another mailing list, that simply closing the window using the Red X, is read as OK - and the update is scheduled.

How the BBC in the UK are reporting the latest MS win10 upgrade shenanigans...

Microsoft accused of Windows 10 upgrade 'nasty trick':
Quote:
Microsoft has faced criticism for changing the pop-up box encouraging Windows users to upgrade to Windows 10.
Clicking the red cross on the right hand corner of the pop-up box now activates the upgrade instead of closing the box.
And this has caused confusion as typically clicking a red cross closes a pop-up notification...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36367221

Edited by myself to include Patty's quote.

Last edited by Doddie on Tue May 24, 2016 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:42 pm 
Fearless Leader

Oh good. I'm glad the warning on that is getting out there!

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:31 pm 
welcoming committee

Last night a friend of mine, who is fairly fluent with Wind 7 and with his iPhone, shut down his Win 7 computer. He thinks he remembers doing this in the same manner as he always does. Then when he turned on his computer this morning, Win 10 had been installed! He must have clicked on a Red-X somewhere.

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:11 pm 

MacDuffie wrote:
Thanks, Jay. I would like to know if they work. I appreciate your willingness to test these sorts of scenarios. I know a fair amount of work is involved.

Well 10 is now on my desktop... A story of a few failures there for which I might start a new thread... I did a clean install of 10 instead of the upgrade...

I've decided to leave 10 on my desktop for a bit and do major installs. Then I will image as a base system and restore 7. In the mean time I'll 'unhide' the appropriate updates on my laptop 7 install and try the registry hacks.

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:30 am 
Fearless Leader

BB, I wonder how many calls I am going to get about this. Hopefully not too many, as I've had most of my clients do the upgrade. But there may be those who I haven't seen for a long time. I must say, this is really egregious behavior.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:40 am 

Sorry but I can't resist... :mrgreen:

I remember way back when the update for the upgrade first came out and I looked at the .XML files involved. I said then that this thing was going to be a royal pain. I was put down by several... I stand vindicated... :ugeek:

This whole upgrade thing is handled by an XML file. It goes by dates as to how intrusive it becomes. I'm not sure but I THINK that this is the worst.

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:49 am 
Fearless Leader

Not really. This is different code, isn't it? I must say though, this Microsoft is a different crew from the folks I met in 1999. Different execs, and likely a different corporate culture too - just as it is a different popular culture. The whole philosophy of how one approaches the writing and publishing of software has also changed in recent years. I never used to think of Microsoft as Silicon Valley culture before, but it has certainly become so now.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:19 am 

Patty... I am no pro at reading these files, just able to follow the flow. As far as I can tell this current situation is included in the initial GWX (Get Windows 10) update XML files. The whole thing is date triggered as to its intrusiveness.

As to the registry hacks you posted, they seem to work. Of course I can't effectively test the one that prevents an OS upgrade but the notification area icon for getting Windows 10 is gone.

To be honest I have doubts about the one to prevent an OS update being totally effective but could well be wrong. While this hack may well prevent an upgrade to the OS if started within Windows under such a situation as Windows Updates I have doubts that it would prevent such an upgrade if initiated via actual install media such as a DVD. This is actually good if I am correct. The hack prevents an automatic OS upgrade but, if the user actively wants, an upgrade could still be done. Seems to me to possibly be a win win situation. :)

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:59 am 
welcoming committee

Unfortunately this is the problem with auto update on Win 7. I've got it turned off, and I always wait at least a week. With all this nonsense going on, I hide all the non security updates, and just do the security updates. I've notice even hidden they keep representing the ones that install GWX.

The dummy's obviously don't care what they do to their reputation as a company of integrity.

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:31 pm 
welcoming committee

You really couldn't make this up, the BBC are now reporting that MS have u-turned over the "red X" fiasco.... with.... wait for it.... yet ANOTHER popup! :shock: :rofl2:

Microsoft U-turn on 'nasty trick' pop-up:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36376962

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:27 pm 
Fearless Leader

Ha ha... And if you close the second popup with the red X, it behaves the same as the first! The update proceeds.

Here's what Microsoft had to say:

"We've added another notification that confirms the time of the scheduled upgrade and provides the customer an additional opportunity for cancelling or rescheduling the upgrade.

"If the customer wishes to continue with their upgrade at the designated time, they can click 'OK' or close the notifications with no further action needed."

PS: That's no U-turn, it's doubling down on the same behavior.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:30 pm 
Fearless Leader

jaylach wrote:
While this hack may well prevent an upgrade to the OS if started within Windows under such a situation as Windows Updates I have doubts that it would prevent such an upgrade if initiated via actual install media such as a DVD. This is actually good if I am correct. The hack prevents an automatic OS upgrade but, if the user actively wants, an upgrade could still be done. Seems to me to possibly be a win win situation. :)

Yes! :) Well there's your solution then, folks.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows