Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Security

Post subject: Any use VPN?
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:42 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
If so I'd like to know why. I get the supposed privacy aspect but still don't get it. It seems to me that the most common use of VPN is to circumvent region restrictions for videos which, of course, is illegal. Oh, also a false sense of security if you do things on the "dark web".

I mean a VPN does not even really "hide" you as to illegal activities as your modem logs the activities back to your ISP under your account.

Sigh, seems that I'm not doing a good job of asking what I'm trying to ask... :( Let's try an analogy... If I put fake license plates on my car it is probably due to the car being involved in something that is illegal. Is VPN really any different than those fake plates?

Of course most people that use VPN probably do so because their security program or ISP said they should. In both of these cases it really seems to boil down to getting more money from you.

I just don't see why the everyday normal user even needs to consider VPN. Please enlighten me. :)

Post subject: Re: Any use VPN?
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:06 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
If so I'd like to know why. ............. Please enlighten me. :)

I have been wondering the same thing.

William A. Gustafson
I know I have forgotten more than I can ever hope to remember.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:30 am 
Site Admin

I don't use a VPN, but there are two use cases that make sense to me. When using public WiFi a VPN adds another layer of encryption to your traffic to make it considerably harder to intercept. And the second would be to access a web site or service that restricts access to a specific locale. For example, you may want to watch a show on BBC UK from the US. Using a VPN, you can "originate" your session to the service as if you were physically in the UK even though you are in the US.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:56 pm 

Steve your second example is the sort of illegal use that I mentioned.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:31 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, AdGuard who i use for ad blocking also offer a VPN service and recently carried out a poll of customers from different VPN services that is based on your question and posted their findings in a blog post yesterday, i think you might find it an interesting read.

Fwiw, I have in the past tried various VPN's during their free trial periods but i always seemed to have an issue finding a reliably fast enough server to connect to so don't use one, if i lived in a more oppressive country or region i absolutely would though.

Even though the blog is written by a VPN provider the article isn't trying to sell you anything, at least they're not overtly pushing their VPN on you within the article.

Why do people use VPNs and how? We’ve asked you and here are the answers
https://adguard-vpn.com/en/blog/vpn-features-survey-adguard-us-iran.html

Quote:
February 19, 2024 8 min read

In a world where the line between reality and the digital realm is blurred, there’s a growing need for tools that help us navigate the online domain and protect us from its potential pitfalls. VPNs (Virtual Private Networks), which establish a secure connection between the user’s device and the server hosting a particular website, are one such tool. Over the years, as we have begun to spend more and more of our time online, VPNs have become ever more popular. The VPN market is projected to grow sevenfold from $45 billion to $350 billion by 2023. An impressive number in itself, it also reflects the growing awareness and interest in online privacy.

But privacy is not the only reason people turn to VPNs. In fact, people use VPNs for a variety of reasons, from circumventing censorship to getting airline tickets on the cheap. They also use VPNs differently: some choose to enable a VPN for all sites, while others only enable it for a few selected sites — Netflix, for example.

To get a better understanding of what drives people to resort to VPNs, what features they value the most, and how they use VPNs in countries with a strikingly different Internet climate and regulations, we have conducted a survey, polling over 500 users of different VPN services. Today we’re ready to present our findings, which we hope will give insight not only into VPN usage patterns but also into the overall attitudes to privacy.

Continues...

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:54 pm 
Site Admin

jaylach wrote:

It isn't illegal in all cases. Someone traveling would be able to use a VPN to stream from their home country while in another location.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:02 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
jaylach wrote:

It isn't illegal in all cases. Someone traveling would be able to use a VPN to stream from their home country while in another location.

I was just about to say the same as Steve, one of the few occassions i did use a VPN was when i was on holiday/vacation in Toronto and NYC to access online TV channels in the UK, which as a TV licence holder in the UK is prefectly legal for me to do :)

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:09 pm 

Thanks for the article Doddie. :)

Good point Steve but I wonder how often that would matter. For instance we both have Paramount Plus which requires a log in. If we were in a different country and logged into the service I wonder if we would be blocked. I really don't know. :dunno: The same question would apply to any other such service such as Prime or Netflix. Even my cable supplier streams everything. Would I be able to log in and view? Again I don't know.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:36 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Good point Steve but I wonder how often that would matter. For instance we both have Paramount Plus which requires a log in. If we were in a different country and logged into the service I wonder if we would be blocked. I really don't know. :dunno: The same question would apply to any other such service such as Prime or Netflix. Even my cable supplier streams everything. Would I be able to log in and view? Again I don't know.

When i was in the US & Canada Netflix presumably picked up the IP address from the WIFI connection i was connected to and defaulted to US/Canada content meaning i had to load the VPN and change to a UK server to get Netflix UK content.
Prime was a bit odd, i could switch from US/Canada to UK but i was never able to download anything to my tablet for the flight home due to location restrictions bing implemented... which was really annoying and i never was able to work out why.
I have satelitte TV (Sky) and they also have a website where i can stream live TV from within the UK they somehow were always able to recognise i was using a VPN so blocked me meaning i was unable to access that website at all while in North America.

It was all a bit hit and miss for what i could access using a VPN, but it was better than not having one.

That was about 6 years ago so maybe the technology has changed since, unless you want to pay for my flights i'll have no way of finding out any time soon! :rofl2:

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:37 pm 
welcoming committee

Doddie wrote:
jaylach wrote:

When i was in the US & Canada Netflix presumably picked up the IP address from the WIFI connection i was connected to and defaulted to US/Canada content meaning i had to load the VPN and change to a UK server to get Netflix UK content.
Prime was a bit odd, i could switch from US/Canada to UK but i was never able to download anything to my tablet for the flight home due to location restrictions being implemented... which was really annoying and i never was able to work out why.
I have satelitte TV (Sky) and they also have a website where i can stream live TV from within the UK they somehow were always able to recognise i was using a VPN so blocked me meaning i was unable to access that website at all while in North America.

It was all a bit hit and miss for what i could access using a VPN, but it was better than not having one.

That was about 6 years ago so maybe the technology has changed since, unless you want to pay for my flights i'll have no way of finding out any time soon! :rofl2:

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:14 pm 

Doddie wrote:
........unless you want to pay for my flights i'll have no way of finding out any time soon! :rofl2:

Hey!!! Mayhaps we can develop some VPN money! :mrgreen: In this case VPN stands for Very Profitable Notion. ;)

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:25 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Hey!!! Mayhaps we can develop some VPN money! :mrgreen: In this case VPN stands for Very Profitable Notion. ;)

That works for me! :lol:
If there's any money left over we can put it towards the other meaning of VPN - Vacation Party Now! :nana1:

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:43 pm 

:mrgreen:

Board index » Technical Forums » Security