Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Security

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:32 pm 
welcoming committee

From a Malwarebytes email i receive, it's very interesting with some good advice if you're in the US.

Sadly i don't believe there is a ruling like this in the UK, yet.

Quote:
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has announced that calls made with voices generated with the help of Artificial Intelligence (AI) will be considered “artificial” under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA). Effective immediately, that makes robocalls that implement voice cloning technology and target consumers illegal.

Robocalls are automated phone calls, often associated with scams, which can be a nuisance to individuals and businesses alike. Some of these calls use AI generated voices of trusted celebrities to gain the trust of the target, in a technique known as voice cloning.
Continues...

https://www.malwarebytes.com/blog/news/2024/02/ai-generated-voices-in-robocalls-are-illegal-rules-ftc

cf. Original source:
FCC MAKES AI-GENERATED VOICES IN ROBOCALLS ILLEGAL
https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DOC-400393A1.pdf

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:16 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Happy about the ruling but don't know how much good it will really do. It is like the "No Call List" in the U.S. you can join that makes it illegal for solicitors to call your number. Unfortunately these things tend to be ignored as it is a simple matter to have a ship outside of 3 mile coastal limit where it becomes international waters. Such ships are actually in use and FCC has no jurisdiction.

Still this is another step in the right direction and every step helps. ;)

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:21 pm 
welcoming committee

Agreed, if it's an overseas scammer spoofing US <or anywhere else in the world> phone numbers it won't help, but it's better than nothing, at the very least it should deter domestic scammers from trying to abuse fellow citizens.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:17 pm 

Totally agree and, like I said, every step in this direction is a good step. As a note the off-shore 'boiler rooms', at least in the U.S., are mostly ran by U.S. scammers. Boiler room is an often used for banks of phones used for solicitations. Oddly it is actually less expensive to run a boiler room off-shore.

Ever get a call that, when you pickup, there is a pause with a few clicks? The call is probably from a boiler room. The calls are actually automated and, if picked up, are transferred to a person which is the reason for the clicks.

To be honest I don't know what I did right but I get almost no such calls. That is odd as, with owning web domains, regulations dictate that my contact info be public through the domain registrar. There is a way to hide the contact info but at a cost which chose not to do. Since I an strictly land line as to phone through my ISP it is possible that they have a black list that is automatically blocked. :dunno: I used to get a lot of such calls which were mostly on Mondays and Fridays but they suddenly almost totally stopped a couple of years ago. I've never researched this but have a hunch as to why such calls are more active on a Monday or Friday. I think it is psychological. On a Monday you just returned to work after your weekend off and are likely in a down mood and more susceptible to the possibility of good news. On a Friday the 'victim' has just finished the work week and is looking forward to the weekend but also wore out more than during the middle week which also makes them more susceptible. Nothing to back that up but I'd bet dollars to donuts that I'm right. ;)

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:41 pm 
welcoming committee

Until about a year ago i was a paid subscriber of a youtube channel called Scammer Payback, yes that is a bit of a shameless plug but he's one of the good guys so why not.
What drew me towards his channel was my first real introduction to youtube because my landline and mobile phone were being inundated with scam phone calls when i was riddled with Long Covid... they just didn't care when i told them i was seriously ill and couldn't deal with them, as soon as i hung up on them they'd call me back straight back, it got so bad that at one point that i had to disconnected my landline and turn off my mobile phone for a week to stop them calling, it got that bad!

I knew what scam calls were and i'd been dealing with them for years but i was shocked at how bad they'd become so when i was able too i went looking online for people who were fighting back to learn more about how these scammers operated and what i could do to stop them... on both counts there wasn't much i could do but as Scammer Payback and others began to grow on youtube they really began to get under the skin of the scammers... it was was amazing to watch and learn as they grew.

Like you Jay, about 2 years ago all of a sudden the cold calling stopped, for a period i even had 'scam call' alerts when an unknown number called me but that seems to have stopped now... for the first time in months i got several calls in one day a few days ago but they didn't last.

I haven't followed the 'scam' call scene for at least a year now but i've always been curious if telcos have worked out a way to identify spoofed calls from abroad, previously they couldn't.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:14 am 

LOL! I remember years ago I was getting calls from a group that called themselves "Microsoft Windows" saying that an issue was detected on my system and they needed remote access to resolve the issue. Several times I just hung up but they called once when I was a bit bored and in a bit of a playful mood. I had a blast! :mrgreen:

I acted dumb and clueless and even put a bit of panic to my voice being like OMG! What can I do and can it be fixed. I could actually hear the difference in the caller's voice to where it was like I got this sucker. I actually played this game for quite a while then went back to normal voice and stated that I had previously owned a computer business, had several awards from Microsoft and that they would never call about anything concerning a system issue unless I initiated the communication. There was a kind of long pause then the caller just said that I probably didn't need their service and hung up. LOL! I never did get another call from them. ;)

Board index » Technical Forums » Security