Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Security

Post Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:08 pm 
welcoming committee

I need some security hacking advice for an older friend of a friend.

This friend is currently running a Win 7 laptop, on which he does a lot of online purchases via credit cards. He says his laptop has been hacked and that his credit card info has been stolen and used for purchases all over the country. Thus far, the credit card company is not holding him responsible. So they close out his account, give him a new credit card, and the hacking happens again. He is now on his 3rd or 4th credit card.

It is my understanding that this friend is not very computer savvy and is not sure what to do next. However, he is sure that he wants to buy a new laptop running Win 10. I have encouraged him to do so, and to then invoke Defender and to purchase/install Malwarebytes Premium. At that point he will quit using his old Win 7 laptop that obviously been hacked somehow.

Is there anything else he should do on his new Win 10 laptop to preclude another hacking of this nature?

Post Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:30 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
What about data? If there is anything that the person needs I'd recommend copying to a USB device and running full scans with Defender and MBAM on the same USB device on the new system.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:51 pm 
welcoming committee

Good point. I will recommend that. Thanks Jay.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:46 pm 
Site Admin

One other thing comes to mind regarding the hack -- is he using WiFi? Does the laptop ever leave his house? Is his Wireless connection secured with WPA-2?

Post Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:47 pm 

YW. :)

As you know without my even saying I would also recommend MBAM Premium on the new system instead of the free version. Right now it is $69.98 for a 2 year subscription which is cheap for the protection it offers. I was lucky enough to start using MBAM early so two of my systems are grandfathered in as to a lifetime license. I only have to pay for subscriptions on one system.

Good points Steve! :) All three of my systems are wired, not Wi-Fi, even though my laptop and main systems are Wi-Fi able. Even though everything is wired (except for my Android tablet) I still have my router set to reboot daily as there are some router garbage that will be killed on a reboot.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:51 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay - I mentioned above for him to use Malwarebytes Premium, not the free version.

Steve - Good points. I don't know the answers but will find out.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:34 am 

bbarry wrote:
Jay - I mentioned above for him to use Malwarebytes Premium, not the free version.

OK, I'm guilty. :oops: I do pretty well at remembering things in a topic but I missed that one. :mrgreen:

As a side question, what bank does your friend deal with? The reason that I ask is that there is a bank here that has gotten a reputation on getting accounts hacked. Keep in mind that a bank account being hacked points to a strong possibility of the home system being hacked but it is not actual proof.

Regardless, Windows 7 reaches end of life in less than a week so an upgrade to Windows 10 is appropriate. There are 'off-line' security scans that could be done but, if a new system is in order, probably not worth the effort.

I know that you said that the current system would stop being used but it is possible that it could be brought up to Windows 10 for free as a potential second system. How old is the current Windows 7 system?

Post Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:48 am 
welcoming committee

Jay, I don't know the answers to your good questions. The problem is that I don't know this individual....I am just working through a mutual friend. As I understand the situation, this individual is not a heavy computer user, so I imagine he will discard his old laptop and just use his new one.....he seems to be excited about finally getting a new computer. I plan on tracking the individual's progress so I can be of help if requested.

Thanks to you and Steve for your good input....I will keep you posted.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:54 pm 

Sigh, I almost ordered a new laptop -- well reconditioned -- the other day but convinced myself that it was a foolish purchase as I hardly ever use my current laptop.

Board index » Technical Forums » Security