Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Security

Post subject: Re: Two Questions
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:01 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
This should do it for you. Make sure that you watch for the 2 extras it will want to install and unselect.
https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer

http://krebsonsecurity.com

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:29 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Peter2150 wrote:
jaylach wrote:
This should do it for you. Make sure that you watch for the 2 extras it will want to install and unselect.

http://krebsonsecurity.com

That is sooner than I expected Pete. Still, the article says that Flash won't be dead until 2020. I guess that gives 2.5 years for a lot of sites to do re-writes. ;)
Krebs on Security wrote:
But don’t break out the bubbly just yet: Adobe says Flash won’t be put down officially until 2020.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:56 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:

Got it installed Jay........is there any way to check it out to see if it works?

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:43 pm 

When the install finishes it usually takes you to a web page to test. If that did not happen go here.
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/about/
If the ad area starts with a bouncing Flash logo you are OK. If you still have issues on other sites it is probably due to their requiring Shockwave. We'll get to that if needed.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:11 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
When the install finishes it usually takes you to a web page to test. If that did not happen go here.
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/about/
If the ad area starts with a bouncing Flash logo you are OK. If you still have issues on other sites it is probably due to their requiring Shockwave. We'll get to that if needed.

It worked fine in IE11 but not in Mozilla.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:10 pm 

There is a plug-in needed in Mozilla. I'm sorry but someone that uses the browser will need to offer help. I THINK that you will have to go to add-ons and remove Flash then re-install the Flash add-on.

Another option would be to re-install Flash on top of its self but doing so through Firefox. Flash SHOULD install the browser add-on for the browser that it is installed through.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:34 am 
welcoming committee

Open Mozilla then use the link from Jay to install Flash then test the same way as you did IE

Post Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:04 am 
welcoming committee

chasbox wrote:
Open Mozilla then use the link from Jay to install Flash then test the same way as you did IE

So, are you saying to install Flash over the top of Flash?

Post Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:31 am 
welcoming committee

Go to Control Panel then Programs and Features. See how many Flash Players are listed.If only one
then Install Flash using Mozilla

Post Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:41 pm 
welcoming committee

chasbox wrote:
Go to Control Panel then Programs and Features. See how many Flash Players are listed.If only one
then Install Flash using Mozilla

How do I use Mozilla to install Flash?

Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:59 am 
welcoming committee

Make sure you are using the Mozilla Browser then go here
https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer and install. Don't forget to uncheck
those Custom options

Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:55 am 
welcoming committee

Remember, to repeat something I said above somewhere, if you get Flash on Firefox, Firefox will kill the functioning of Flash once it detects that the Flash is an old, unsecured version, then you will have to install again using the Update Now link on the plugin page. That is unless you choose the option to have Flash update itself automatically, your choice.
Acadia

Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:08 am 
welcoming committee

TIME OUT everyone.

To go back to OP's question

Quote:
Hi Everyone, I have two questions about security. 1. What in your opinion is the best program for maximum security? 2. Is the Adobe Flash player safe to use?

The discussion has totally digressed to Flash. In terms of best security Flash is a drop of water in the ocean. Virtually trivial

Lets forget Appguard, and just focus on Sandboxie. Unless you are a high risk user you will be fine with just adding Sandboxie, and if you do use Flash simply doesn't matter, period!!!!

I help a friend in my building with her computer stuff. Several years ago she used to get infected 2 to 3 times a year. Sandboxie put and end to that. I just looked at her computer last month and found, no windows updates for 15 months, her AV EIS expired 18 months ago. Another words nothing but Sandboxie, and her system was clean!!

Forget worrying about Flash, get Sandboxie on your system and both your original questions are answered and solved.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:00 am 
welcoming committee

Peter2150 wrote:
TIME OUT everyone.

Whoa, Peter, take a patience pill and chill. I agree that Sandboxie makes the safety of Flash a mute point, but she was also have trouble getting Flash to work at all, at least on Firefox, we were simply trying to help her with that. :shake:
Acadia

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:43 am 
welcoming committee

Out of curiosity I had just updated Firefox to v55 32bit. I looked and Flash wasn't there. Downloaded directly from adobe and just installed it to the system. I know have two versions on board.

I opened firefox and looked and the latest version was there.

Win 7x64 Pro

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:30 pm 
welcoming committee

Peter2150 wrote:
Out of curiosity I had just updated Firefox to v55 32bit...

Ahhh, Peter, you're making my brain ache, which is usually a good thing, lazy minds like mine need to be kicked into thinking again. I just checked my version of Firefox which stated, version 54.0.1, up to date, and that was AFTER I checked for any updates, so ... did you, knowing you as I do, use a beta?

If beta is not the problem then I confess my ignorance, I do not know.
Acadia

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:34 pm 
welcoming committee

Nope, no beta, I just use an app called PatchmyPC. It's portable, checks what software you have installed against a big list, tells you what needs updating, and if you let it downloads and installs the software.

It said 55 was the latest version, and installed it. I always found firefox's status check dodgy

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:00 pm 
welcoming committee

Peter2150 wrote:
TIME OUT everyone.

Quote:
Hi Everyone, I have two questions about security. 1. What in your opinion is the best program for maximum security? 2. Is the Adobe Flash player safe to use?

The discussion has totally digressed to Flash. In terms of best security Flash is a drop of water in the ocean. Virtually trivial

Lets forget Appguard, and just focus on Sandboxie. Unless you are a high risk user you will be fine with just adding Sandboxie, and if you do use Flash simply doesn't matter, period!!!!

I help a friend in my building with her computer stuff. Several years ago she used to get infected 2 to 3 times a year. Sandboxie put and end to that. I just looked at her computer last month and found, no windows updates for 15 months, her AV EIS expired 18 months ago. Another words nothing but Sandboxie, and her system was clean!!

Forget worrying about Flash, get Sandboxie on your system and both your original questions are answered and solved.

I have Kaspersky and you said it wont run alongside Sandboxie so the solution is not as simple as it seems.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:21 pm 
welcoming committee

Allyson wrote:
Peter2150 wrote:
TIME OUT everyone.

Quote:

I have Kaspersky and you said it wont run alongside Sandboxie so the solution is not as simple as it seems.

AH, 2 questions?

1. What version of Kaspersky
2. What is your risk profile. I mean a) do you do anything risky as such and b) How what is the value of what is on your machine?

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:58 am 
welcoming committee

Peter2150 wrote:
Allyson wrote:
Peter2150 wrote:
TIME OUT everyone.

Quote:

AH, 2 questions?

1. What version of Kaspersky
2. What is your risk profile. I mean a) do you do anything risky as such and b) How what is the value of what is on your machine?

1. It is their latest 2017 version
2. a) I do not think that I do anything risky as such but every so often Kaspersky will block a link and b) I do not understand the "How what". If it is a typo, and you just meant to say "what is the value of what is on your machine?", then the answer is the OS and all of the programs. All of my personal stuff such as documents, music, videos, pictures and such are kept on external hard drives.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:00 am 
welcoming committee

Hi Allyson

The How what was a typo. I would say with Kaspersky you are in fine shape. The Application control module is powerful. If you have any flash issues resolved you are good to go.

Pete

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:31 pm 
welcoming committee

Peter2150 wrote:
Hi Allyson

The How what was a typo. I would say with Kaspersky you are in fine shape. The Application control module is powerful. If you have any flash issues resolved you are good to go.

Pete

Ok, thanks much.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:45 am 
welcoming committee

But now this.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/s ... edentials/

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:01 am 
welcoming committee

Peter2150 wrote:
But now this. ...

:cry5: Don't you just love the simplicity of these computer thingies. Just when you think you've FINALLY got it all figured out ... :smash1:

All I can say is, and Peter may disagree with me, if you have the proper security software installed you will still be protected but ... WHICH SOFTWARE?

I swear by Sandboxie, agree with Appguard but do not use it, and on other programs not even mentioned in this thread, I did not want to confuse things even more, ShadowDefender. Oh, yes, and No Virus Thanks ERP, another excellent program, in my opinion. And do you want to hear something really insane, all these programs active at the same time all play like the best of friends together.

I've said this many times before at the Haven, if someone could invent a simple to use computer, ALWAYS secure, and not needing a new Operating System every 6-12 months, that person would deserve to become an instant multi-Billionaire, and I would be first in line to purchase it, even if it cost $10,000.
Good luck, Acadia

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:39 am 
welcoming committee

Hi Acadia

Actually I am in total agreement with you. But in actuality it is my experience we don't need a new OS every 6 months. I am still using Win 7 and still works very well for me. Is it secure? For me yes, all the malware testing I've done, and I've done a bunch is on Win 7. It is safe because I essentially use what you mentioned plus a bit.
The caveat is it takes work, you aren't magically secure it takes work.

The bad guys are always looking and if anyone thinks they really are safer with Win 10 don't bet your business on it.

Ironically, the nastiest software out there is installed for you by Microsoft. it is called Powershell, and if the bad guys get a script on your system it is theirs. Forget any scanner, forget the software Acadia mentioned, for get running at a lower admin level. They own your machine. It is really that bad. BUT there is good news. So far the only way the attackers have infected machines with this, is by
people being careless with email.

DON'Ts Don't click on links in email or open attachments. PERIOD. Even if you know the person. Acadia and I talk frequently, but I get an email with attachment I don't know about, I don't open it until I talk to him. That discipline is vital.

And no Fedex and UPS never send anything by email. NEVER EVER. I looked(DON'T DO THIS AT HOME) at the last of the Fedex Follies and it had a zip file attached. In the zip file was a word doc. It didn't have the macro, but had the editing allowed button. I clicked it an nothing appeared to be happening but it merrily went about encrypting stuff.

BE ALERT!!

Pete

Board index » Technical Forums » Security