Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:05 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
CSV stands for Comma Separated Values. It is actually a plain text file so is basically the same. This is a common format for importing to Excel. The comma determines the end of a data entry. You could actually export a contact list as CSV and import to Excel to keep a backup of your contacts although it would be a bit of overkill as the CSV file would be a backup in itself.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:35 pm 

Noticed something else that I like about eM Client even though it is a minor point. As is probably known already I like a clean desktop as I use video files for my wallpaper. The only time I have an icon on the desktop is as a reminder of something I need to do. I run everything I normally use from icons pinned to the Taskbar. I even have the Taskbar set to auto hide.

So what does this have to do with eM Client one might ask. Since I run almost everything from my Taskbar it should be obvious that there is a lot of stuff on my Taskbar. I set eM Client to auto start with a Windows start. Then I set it to minimize to the Notification Area by the clock. Yes, it still takes up Taskbar space but is out of the way and the Notification Area icon changes when there is new mail.

Also, unlike Outlook, when the initial import of everything was done my complete contact list was available for all four of my email accounts. With Outlook the list was tied to my Hotmail account and not available on my other three accounts. Of course I could have imported my contacts to each account but never bother. I just always just started my new email sends from the Hotmail account and changed the option for which account to use as the sender.

The more that I use it the more I like this email client. Granted that I have only been using eM Client for a few days but I am finding to be, overall, superior to Outlook for my usage. I could have even gotten away with the free version as two of the email accounts through my hosting I could consolidate to the one mostly used but I prefer to have all three as admin, info and support.

As to importing to Thunderbird I think that is one of the reasons that I decided not to use ages ago. If I remember correctly I just had too much trouble importing stuff. Contacts is easy, just export from Live Mail as CSV and import to Thunderbird. If I remember correctly the issue I had was importing accounts and my folder structure. Joan may be able to give better insight on this as she uses and it was years ago that I tried it. At the time I had 5-6 accounts and found it to just be too much of a hassle to deal with. Things very well may have changed.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:15 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, I am really no longer interested in Thunderbird, primarily for the reasons you pointed out. And like you, I am really liking eM Client now that I've gotten use to it....so much so that I am getting ready to install it on my primary Win 10 computer. And since I have 5 email accounts, I will be purchasing the Pro version.

Again, I am glad that you are leading the way on this email client....gives me a comforting feeling. But if you want to know how to set up Contact categories within eM Client, I'm your man....

Post Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:11 pm 

Thanks for the offer BB but I don't really see any need for my wanting categories as I don't send any group emails. The only possibility that I can see as to sending to a group would concern these forums and I can do that directly through the forum software.

One thing to keep in mind is that the $49.95 is for the current version only on a single machine. If you wanted lifetime updates to newer versions the single system price is $99.95. I found the price difference to extreme to go with the lifetime updates and just went with the $49.95. Between Defender and MBAM Premium I trust my system security and am not too concerned if the version I'm running becomes outdated. The current does everything I need as it is. Still, even if you went with the lifetime updates for $99.95 it is less costly than the $129.xx for the standalone Outlook 2019. Add the thought that I believe that you would have to pay for future upgrades for Outlook 2019 the cost of eM Client is pretty decent.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:15 am 
welcoming committee

I also thought the $99.95 was pretty steep, since I also use MBAM Premium and Defender.

So I think I will purchase the $49.95 eM Client Pro for my primary computer. Then I will request a Free license for my older computer....the one where I have already downloaded and configured the program. At least I'm hoping they will let me have both a Free and a Pro license.

And before I download eM Client to my primary computer and import everything from WLM, I will first 'clean up' my WLM stuff, i.e., delete some of my categories, contacts and old messages. As you probably surmised, I typically save a lot of stuff.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:49 am 

To be honest I can't remember how I did it, it's been a while since I started using Thunderbird but it must have been easy for me to do it without problems.

As I mentioned in my previous post I have 6 email accounts. I have a Hotmail, Gmail, Outlook and 3 via my ISP each for a specific purpose. Then I have my RSS Feeds, which are mainly news feeds, I did use to have a lot more of them but haven't got round to putting them all back.

Pleased to hear you're happy with the eM Client program BB, I've not looked at it, it wouldn't do for me if the free version only allows 2 accounts and I can't afford to buy it and be able to have more. It sounds like you need a lot more from your program than I need and as I've not dug deep into what Thunderbird can and can't do I don't know if it would be any good for you.
I'm happy with it so will carry on as I am.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:15 pm 
welcoming committee

Joan, Thunderbird would probably have been my 2nd choice, worthy of a look-see if importing wasn't such a hassle. Emailing is a key activity for me, and I tend to save many contacts and emails over my five accounts. eM Client made the importing easy.

So bottom line....I am getting ready to purchase/install the Pro version of eM Client on my primary Win 10 computer. I really liked Windows Live Mail and I used it for years, but I'm nervous now that Microsoft no longer supports it.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:28 pm 

LOL! Just to pick on you BB, Live Mail hasn't been supported for around 2.5 years. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:18 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, at my age it takes me awhile to get nervous.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:31 pm 

bbarry wrote:
Jay, at my age it takes me awhile to get nervous.

I'm starting to understand what you mean by that. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:19 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, I got eM Client Pro (eMCP) up and running. I like the program but I do have a few comments/questions:

(1) I seem to be getting more spam than usual. I know that WLM had 'Safety Options' where you had some control over the level of spam caught and sent directly to your junk folder. I can't find anything like that in eMCP. Have you?

(2) I don't receive any type of new email notification from eMCP like I did in WLM....no sound, no little envelope icon on task bar. Do you get and kind of notification (and I don't mean a popup Win 10 notification)?

(3) Although eMCP did import my accounts, contacts and messages from WLM with little effort on my part, it did require quite a bit of cleanup afterwards. Before I performed the import, I purposely went into WLM and cleaned things up....I got rid of several contacts, many stored messages, and some of my categories. But eMCP still brought all that stuff over. So I'm not sure where eMCP went to retrieve all the stuff it imported, as I thought I had already deleted much of it from WLM.

(4) Categories has an all together different meaning in eMCP than in WLM. To send group emails in eMCP you must create what they call 'distribution lists'; each list is then added to your Contacts list. Easy enough to do, but my group categories in WLM didn't carry over.

(5) eMCP has a couple of neat new (for me) features involving Contacts, as follows:
- You can view your Contacts in several different formats (e.g., Phone List, Business Card, Customize View)
- If you right click on any Contact, a menu will drop down that lets you see the Communication History and/or Attachment History for that Contact. So if I wanted to see a quick list and view of all the photos that my sister and/or I had ever attached to our emails to each other, I just right click on her Contact name and there they are.

All together, eMCP is a very feature-rich program that I will enjoy using with all my emails. :cboy1:

Post Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

You may want to check if your email provider has spam filter settings available via their webmail interface. Spam filtering on the client side is usually worse as it relies on regular updates to rules and lists for the filtering. It is best to let the email provider handle it.
-steve

Post Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:16 pm 

bbarry wrote:
Jay, I got eM Client Pro (eMCP) up and running. I like the program but I do have a few comments/questions:

(1) I seem to be getting more spam than usual. I know that WLM had 'Safety Options' where you had some control over the level of spam caught and sent directly to your junk folder. I can't find anything like that in eMCP. Have you?
Right click on the spam then hover over 'Move to junk' and select to move and block either sender or domain. Any time that you change an email client you are going to have to start over with your 'black list'. Also check out Steve's suggestion.

(2) I don't receive any type of new email notification from eMCP like I did in WLM....no sound, no little envelope icon on task bar. Do you get and kind of notification (and I don't mean a popup Win 10 notification)?

Go to 'Menu/Tools/Settings/Notifications'. I still haven't figured out if an 'X' means enabled or disabled. I have it set, under General, to minimize to the system tray. When there is new mail the icon changes.

(3) Although eMCP did import my accounts, contacts and messages from WLM with little effort on my part, it did require quite a bit of cleanup afterwards. Before I performed the import, I purposely went into WLM and cleaned things up....I got rid of several contacts, many stored messages, and some of my categories. But eMCP still brought all that stuff over. So I'm not sure where eMCP went to retrieve all the stuff it imported, as I thought I had already deleted much of it from WLM.
If your email is an Exchange type like Microsoft's it would sync with what is on the server.

(4) Categories has an all together different meaning in eMCP than in WLM. To send group emails in eMCP you must create what they call 'distribution lists'; each list is then added to your Contacts list. Easy enough to do, but my group categories in WLM didn't carry over.
I have no idea as to this.

(5) eMCP has a couple of neat new (for me) features involving Contacts, as follows:
- You can view your Contacts in several different formats (e.g., Phone List, Business Card, Customize View)
- If you right click on any Contact, a menu will drop down that lets you see the Communication History and/or Attachment History for that Contact. So if I wanted to see a quick list and view of all the photos that my sister and/or I had ever attached to our emails to each other, I just right click on her Contact name and there they are.
I haven't messed with contacts but did take a peek and it seems more robust than Outlook.

All together, eMCP is a very feature-rich program that I will enjoy using with all my emails. :cboy1:

So far I'm liking it. :)

Post Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:23 pm 

Sigh, the icon USED to change in the Notification Area when eM was set to minimize to the tray. I was playing with the Notification settings and now it does not change. Just a matter of figuring out what setting it was.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:07 pm 

OK, if the notification setting is blank it is active. Here is how I have mine set, everything off except tray icon and sound for incoming mail.

Attachment:
emnotify.png
emnotify.png [ 73.57 KiB | Viewed 5908 times ]

Post Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:43 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
bbarry wrote:

Right click on the spam then hover over 'Move to junk' and select to move and block either sender or domain. Any time that you change an email client you are going to have to start over with your 'black list'. Also check out Steve's suggestion.
OK, will do. I guess I was hoping that my black list would be imported from WLM.

Go to 'Menu/Tools/Settings/Notifications'. I still haven't figured out if an 'X' means enabled or disabled. I have it set, under General, to minimize to the system tray. When there is new mail the icon changes.
I went there and set up sound and notification icon for each of my 5 email accounts, but still nothing. And what exactly do you mean when you say the icon changes when there is new mail?

If your email is an Exchange type like Microsoft's it would sync with what is on the server.
All my email accounts are POP, so all my email info should have resided on my Win 10 computer. But I'm thinking the stuff resided in two different places and eMCP retrieved it from the wrong place.

I have no idea as to this.
No problem here...I was just explaining what I found to be the difference.

I haven't messed with contacts but did take a peek and it seems more robust than Outlook.
Another feature you might find interesting is Conversations (Menu>View>Conversations). For my purposes I had to disable it.

So far I'm liking it. :)

Post Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:01 pm 

Do you have eM set to minimize to the tray? I think that is where I lost my new mail notification. I set it back to minimize the the Taskbar and the notifications came back, both sound and icon.

If you minimize to the tray (notification area by the clock) the icon will show as their logo. If you minimize to the Taskbar there will be no icon in the notification area but an envelope icon will appear there when there is new mail.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:16 pm 
welcoming committee

No, I have eM set to minimize to the Taskbar, but I have never seen an envelope icon or heard a sound. I wonder if it might be because I also still have WLM running, and it does produce an envelope and sound?

Post Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:38 pm 

Do you mean WLM running or just installed? If running try shutting it down. And did you follow the settings in my screen shot?

Post Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:49 pm 
welcoming committee

I meant WLM running. I'm not yet ready to uninstall WLM, but I exited the program.

Now I am getting the eM sound and tray icon after following your settings. The only setting I had different from yours was the "Disable notifications when full screen application is detected".

Thanks....

Post Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:19 pm 

WLM running would explain the lack of EM notifications. Just by coincidence of running WLM probably checked for mail first and threw up the notification. Since you had already been notified there was no reason for EM to notify again. That may sound off the wall as they are two different programs but I would be amazed if both didn't patch into the built-in Windows notifications. Yes, there is a setting to use Windows notifications but I imagine that just switches to using Windows interface.

I did not select to "Disable notifications when full screen application is detected" just due to having popup notifications disabled. Even if watching a movie full screen I still get the new mail sound and the tray icon does not matter in such a case. This means that I know there is new mail but my full screen application, movie or game, is not disrupted. When I first started playing with the settings I allowed popups and it was actually quite annoying to be playing a game on my main screen and have a popup come up over part of the game.

Only time will tell for sure but, so far, I'm actually finding eM Client superior to Outlook. To be honest both are overkill for my actual needs but I can't stand web mail so I end up with what looks to be an excellent client and save money at the same time as I no longer need an Office 365 subscription.

I still DO wonder about one point. If it becomes necessary to actually upgrade to a new version of eM Client will I regret not paying the extra for lifetime free updates. I don't expect this to happen but it IS a possibility. My initial decision was based on cost as the added cost of free updates was more than the cost of the program itself.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:57 pm 
Site Admin

bbarry wrote:

All my email accounts are POP, so all my email info should have resided on my Win 10 computer. But I'm thinking the stuff resided in two different places and eMCP retrieved it from the wrong place.

I believe you said earlier that you have your POP account set to leave messages on the server for some number of days. If I remembered that correctly, then eMCP made a call to the server and downloaded everything that was on the server as it was "new" to it. Actions previously taken in WLM or on any computer/device would not prevent eMCP from downloading anything on the server that it had not previously downloaded from the server. If you had the same messages imported into eMCP from WLM, you would have 2 copies of the messages in eMCP.

-steve

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:09 am 

sboots wrote:
.....If you had the same messages imported into eMCP from WLM, you would have 2 copies of the messages in eMCP.....

Man, isn't that the truth! I have a folder in my email client called 'saved emails'. Within that I have another sub-folder named 'keepers'. The keepers folders are on-line transactions and bill payments. The rest is saved emails from communications with people; each person has their own folder. When I switched from Live Mail to Outlook I ended up with two copies of all these emails. It was a total pain cleaning things up to get rid of the duplicates.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:59 am 
welcoming committee

Steve, you are correct.....I save messages on the server for 30 days. But messages were not my problem, as the many that I deleted from my computer during the 'cleanup' process were not imported. My import problems were with folders & contacts, and neither of these are shown on my mail server.

To digress....my biggest problem was with folders. The ones I deleted during the cleanup process were still imported. Furthermore, folder name changes that I made years ago in WLM were not recognized. As an example, I had an email folder named Pete. But sadly, Pete died three years ago, and shortly thereafter I renamed that folder to Mary, who was Pete's wife. During the import process, the folder named Pete was imported, even though I had changed the folder name three years ago.

But I also had a problem with contacts, in that those deleted from WLM during my cleanup process were still imported.

All my email accounts were imported correctly, so no problem there.

So bottom line, I don't think eM Client went to the server to get data for importing. I think it went someplace on my computer where it found all my deletions/changes in folders and contacts....like maybe to some archived WLM database. :?

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:58 am 
Site Admin

Ah, I see! It is curious where they came from when imported by eMCP. Folders would not have been on the server for a POP account, nor would contacts.

-steve

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email