Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Home Networks

Post subject: New Laptop Requirement
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:25 pm 
welcoming committee

In Windows 11, I'm trying to connect a new laptop to my older desktop, but it is requiring "enter your credentials to connect" ... What credentials? Network credentials? What do I use?

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:36 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Steve will probably be able to give a better answer but I'll do my best to start...

When you connect multiple systems to a network the connection for access is just like booting the system and having to log in. What your connection is probably wanting is the log in for your connected system. For security the second tries to protect itself and will not allow a shared connection unless you can supply the log in for the second system.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:26 pm 
Site Admin

It wants the credentials (User ID and Password) that you use to login to your old desktop.
On the desktop, you will also want to make sure that you share the specific folders that you want to access from the new laptop and either grant access to "everyone" or specific users -- which are Users defined on the desktop PC (the ID you log in with). If you use the same ID on both PCs, that makes things easier.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/file-sharing-over-a-network-in-windows-10-b58704b2-f53a-4b82-7bc1-80f9994725bf?msclkid=5efb57a4afd011ecbf66f9dba7b11aff

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:08 pm 
welcoming committee

Steve, I log on to my old desktop with a four-letter code. I do not remember the full user ID or password. Where do I go from there?
Sorry to be so vague, but I just got home after nine weeks in the hospital. My mind isn’t working so well yet. Thanks.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:13 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Hi Gerry, I'm going to hold off on a reply until we see what Steve has to say but is the old system on a local or Microsoft log in? I'm guessing that it is likely a Microsoft account log in due to you using a 4 letter/number log in (pin).

Sorry to hear of your extended hospital stay! :( I hope everything ended up OK.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:28 pm 
Site Admin

You are using a PIN to login to your desktop account. On the desktop, go to settings and then accounts to see what your user name is and if it is a Microsoft account or local account. If it is a Microsoft Account, the email address will be underneath your account display name and there will be a link to manage your Microsoft account. Hopefully that will trigger recollection of your account password. I don't use a local account, but I believe you will be able to manage your local account from the same settings area and hopefully allow you to see your password or change it. I believe, though, that the use of a PIN means that you are using a Microsoft Account.
Another option would be to connect to the new PC from the desktop and copy files to the new machine from the desktop rather than connecting from the new PC to the old PC to get the files.
I'm glad that you are back home after that long hospital stay. I think your mind is doing pretty good -- I have to maintain a list of my IDs and passwords as I will forget them in an instant!

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:31 pm 
welcoming committee

Go into the Network and Sharing settings. Look for something called Advanced Sharing Settings. In here you can change how folders are shared. Down toward the bottom you can turn on/off password required for shared folders. I turn mine off for easier sharing between local computers. It's under the All Networks menu.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:10 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks to all of you for the suggested solutions. I'm afraid I was too out of practice in computing to make any of them work. I hired a professional who set me up on a program I had never heard of, Splashtop, which allows me to work on either computer, but on which I will spend most time on my upstairs desktop until such time that I can regain my ability to walk. I will then happily be able to go upstairs to my bedroom and office where the desktop lives. As of now, however, I am dependent up a lift machine to get me from bed to wheelchair/regular chair for my numerous exercises on the first floor. Thanks again.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:00 pm 
Site Admin

I'm glad that you have a solution that works for you. Best wishes to you as you work to regain some strength after your extended hospital stay!

Board index » Technical Forums » Home Networks