Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Home Networks

Post Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:44 am 

OK this might be a bit long.

I've just upgraded my broadband and landline service to the latest provided by my ISP British Telecom. As I'm no longer fit enough to mess about setting things up I booked an engineer to come and replace my router with the latest one they had provided.

He wasn't here long and didn't explain anything, after he'd connected the computers and printer I told him that he hadn't connected the mini box on the bedroom tv for the Sky tv service, he said oh that would talk to the main box and connect itself, it didn't and I had a job getting it connected but I did.

I've never had any problems with connecting to any site before but since the fitting of the new router I have a lot of problems and when trying to go anywhere it gives the message that the page can't be found the servers IP couldn't be found. Sometimes if I wait for a time it will actually connect but there are times when it just sits there and I might have to do a refresh a few times.

I've noticed a few times when I'm trying along the bottom of the window it shows the address of where I'm trying to go then there will a line saying resolving host.

So far I've cleared the dns cache and started it again and I've also flushed the ipconfig dns and I don't know what to try next before getting back onto BT to ask them to send an engineer out to fix it.

Thanks for any help, please keep it simple my brains not what it used to be. :)

Post Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:19 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
OpenDNS might help some.
https://support.opendns.com/hc/en-us/articles/228007207-Windows-10-Configuration

You would change the DNS on computers and router.

Could also be a faulty modem. Your symptoms sound like mine when my modem was failing to use channel bonding.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:23 pm 
Site Admin

Hi, Joan.
Without knowing the details of your router or your service, it may be best to simply get BT to come out and resolve it.
However...
I believe you have more than one computer -- does the problem happen on all computers/devices?
I presume that you've rebooted the computer since the new router was installed.
Have you also rebooted the router?
Is the router a combination modem/router?
You mentioned that the bedroom box had trouble getting connected. Has it been fine since you finally got it set up?
Is the computer connected wirelessly or with an Ethernet cable?
Are there any issues printing? (Is your printer a networked printer or attached to the computer directly?)

-steve

Post Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:34 pm 

jaylach wrote:
OpenDNS might help some.
https://support.opendns.com/hc/en-us/articles/228007207-Windows-10-Configuration

You would change the DNS on computers and router.

Could also be a faulty modem. Your symptoms sound like mine when my modem was failing to use channel bonding.

I'll get back to you Jay I'm just going to answer Stephens questions first.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:10 pm 

sboots wrote:
Hi, Joan.
Without knowing the details of your router or your service, it may be best to simply get BT to come out and resolve it.

I probably will but I'll answer your questions.

However...
I believe you have more than one computer -- does the problem happen on all computers/devices?

My laptop is the one I use the most and that is via wireless, my desktop is Ethernet and only used a few times a week as it's the one I use for banking and accounts etc. I first noticed the problem on the laptop but when going to the desktop that had a problem as well but as I don't go to as many sites I don't know how bad it is. Hubby has had problems with his desktop but he thinks his laptop is ok but again that is only used for a clients accounts.

I presume that you've rebooted the computer since the new router was installed.

The computers get turned off completely every night then rebooted fresh each morning.

Have you also rebooted the router?
Is the router a combination modem/router?

I have not rebooted the router and yes the router is a combination modem/router, that is mainly the type used over here rather than separate ones.

You mentioned that the bedroom box had trouble getting connected. Has it been fine since you finally got it set up?

Yes.

Is the computer connected wirelessly or with an Ethernet cable?
Are there any issues printing? (Is your printer a networked printer or attached to the computer directly?)

Answered above for mine, hubby's desktop is via Ethernet and his laptop is wireless. My other laptop is not used and I only turn it on every so often to bring it up to date, everything runs Windows 10 Home here.
The printing is fine, hubby has his own printer that he has connected via USB so he can plug the cable either into his desktop or laptop. My printer is connected via USB but also via wireless so I can use it from my desktop which it is connected to and also from my laptop in the living room which is at the other end of the bungalow.

-steve

Hopefully that answers all your questions Stephen, hubby just said give it over the weekend then get onto BT and get the engineer to come out and fix it.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:15 pm 

I wrote all the above and pressed the preview button to check the bold had worked and it went to the can't find page the servers IP couldn't be found then underneath you got the lines of what you could check, I can't remember if I got as far as clicking the refresh button at the top of the page but I must have done as I got a box come up that wanted to know if I wanted to reload the info. I said yes and it took me to the preview page so I was able to submit.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:14 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for answering all of my questions.
The first thing that I would try is rebooting the router/modem. If that doesn't help, then a call to BT is in order as I believe the problem is with the router/modem -- either a configuration, a connection, or the device itself.
-steve

Post Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:34 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I don't know anything as to how tech support works across the pond but I think it terrible that the tech left before everything was totally setup and proven.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:23 am 

sboots wrote:
Thanks for answering all of my questions.
The first thing that I would try is rebooting the router/modem. If that doesn't help, then a call to BT is in order as I believe the problem is with the router/modem -- either a configuration, a connection, or the device itself.
-steve

I know rebooting the computer can solve a multitude of problems and it seems so can rebooting the router.

Saw your post this morning Stephen when I got my laptop up and running so thought OK I'll give it a go.

Switched it off, waited a couple of minutes and turned it back on, had to wait a few minutes while it went through it's start up routine and fingers crossed so far no problems.

Whereas the last few days when I've tried to go to sites I normally have no problems with have not been able to connect throwing up a can't find page or the sites IP server can't be found are now working as normal with no trouble at all.

Thank you for suggesting that, he was me flushing dns commands out and thinking I'd have to start messing with the system to fix the problem and a simple reboot was all it needed, well hopefully.

Thanks again Stephen for your help.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:26 am 

jaylach wrote:
I don't know anything as to how tech support works across the pond but I think it terrible that the tech left before everything was totally setup and proven.

I know, I'll stick to doing it myself in future I've never had any problems when I've connected a new router to my system. :rofl2:

As you'll notice to my reply to Stephen everything at present is working as it should be. ;)

Post Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:31 pm 
Site Admin

Fingers crossed that it was that simple. :-)

Post Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:04 pm 

sboots wrote:
Fingers crossed that it was that simple. :-)

Time will tell but I'm hoping it's sorted. ;)

Board index » Technical Forums » Home Networks