Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:58 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi,

As some will know i'm still on Windows 7 and looking to move from Windows 7 to either Win10 or Win11 very soon, probably the latter.

Anyway, i was looking earlier at my options and i i've decided i need to upgrade quite a bit of my hardware to avoid potential future issues and i was wondering if anyone could see any issues with what i've ordered working together.

I'll be keeping my existing tower and PSU (750W), graphics card etc (depends on the Ryzen inbuilt GPU though).

I'm not looking for the latest hardware or the fastest PC, i don't use it for gaming or graphic intensive purposes, instead it's just for every day browsing that supports occasional 4K streaming etc as and when needed.

MSI MPG B550 GAMING PLUS Motherboard ATX - £119
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08B4V6H3N

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G - £111.99
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B092L9GF5N

Corsair VENGEANCE LPX DDR4 RAM 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz CL16 Intel XMP 2.0 iCUE - I bought two of these, so 2 times 2 x 8GB = 32GB for £77.32
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0143UM4TC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Internal Solid State Drive (SSD - Bought from Amazon Warehouse so £88.94
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MLJD32L

I've never owned an MSI motherboard before so that'll be an interesting learning curve i suspect, the price of the other components really shocked me... even though they're not the latest on the market i honestly didn't expect them to be that cheap, especially the 2TB M.2 SSD

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:43 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Well the CPU shows in the compliant list so that is good. Not the strongest CPU in the Ryzen line but quite capable.

I have a slight concern as to the mother board as it does not have a physical TPM. While it does have TPM it is part of the firmware. I very much doubt this will cause an issue with Windows 11 but can't say for fact.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:10 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Well the CPU shows in the compliant list so that is good. Not the strongest CPU in the Ryzen line but quite capable.

I have a slight concern as to the mother board as it does not have a physical TPM. While it does have TPM it is part of the firmware. I very much doubt this will cause an issue with Windows 11 but can't say for fact.

I don't really need the strongest or fastest CPU, it's more about what i can afford on a budget... for sure if i needed a faster CPU i could extend the budget but i don't need one so (in my logic) why not wait a couple of years and buy the same product but at a knock down price.

I've got to be honest here, i don't really understand what TPM is or or why it's needed, obviously it's a security 'thing' but i don't fully understand why its apparently suddenly become such a big deal?

Microsoft says:
Quote:
TPM has been around for over 20 years, and has been part of PCs since around 2005. In 2016 TPM version 2.0 - the current version as of this writing - became standard in new PCs.

Source: What is TPM?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/what-is-tpm-705f241d-025d-4470-80c5-4feeb24fa1ee

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:02 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I don't understand why either TPM or Secure Boot are a requirement. The method of deciding if a CPU qualifies also makes no sense to me. My micro computer runs a Celeron 4-core and qualifies due to the generation of the thing. My 8-core 16 thread Ryzen 7 does not qualify on my main system. Realistically which of the two is more capable?

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:30 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I don't understand why either TPM or Secure Boot are a requirement. The method of deciding if a CPU qualifies also makes no sense to me. My micro computer runs a Celeron 4-core and qualifies due to the generation of the thing. My 8-core 16 thread Ryzen 7 does not qualify on my main system. Realistically which of the two is more capable?

The cynic in me can't help but think of the earlier days of computing when certain hardware and software comapnies were (basically) at war with each other, it's as if some software companies now rely on those hardware companies (vice versa) to push the requirements of their products so they support each other... but what do i know?

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware