Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:12 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I don't think that they do, at least not good ones, but I wonder just how much power I'm drawing with my main system...

The power supply in my main system is 900 watt. What I wonder is if it is likely to always be 900 watt or would it likely 'throttle down' to what is actually needed.

Sorry, I'm having problems as to how to phrase this question. Even though not as much as when I ran my business I'm still not too bad with hardware but that sort of excludes power supplies. I've always just gone with the premise of figuring out the maximum demand of all included components and going with a power supply that is at least 50% over what is actually needed.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is if a 900 watt power supply always pulls 900 watts from the outlet (like having 9 100 watt light bulbs running) or if the 900 watt output is even relevant to the power needed from the wall outlet as a power supply is really nothing more than a transformer converting AC electrical input to multiple voltage DC electrical output.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:53 pm 
welcoming committee

I would imagine it only pulls what it needs. I can tell by the draw from my UPS that it doesn't draw full power at all times.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:31 am 
Site Admin

The 900 Watt power supply is capable of delivering 900 Watts. Your PC is typically using much less.
https://whatisanything.com/does-a-computer-power-supply-use-all-the-wattage/?msclkid=478fba77a8cf11eca123e6309ffba136

"Does a bigger PSU use more electricity?
Does A Higher Watt PSU Use More Electricity? A power supply (PSU) with higher wattage doesn’t consume more electricity than the PC needs. So, if a PC needs 500W power but it has a 750W PSU inside, In that case, the power consumption will be 500W only."

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:13 pm 

Thanks. :)

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:06 pm 

Actually the reason I asked is that a friend I was talking to had a system that the Veteran's Admin. had built for him that was put together with Auto CAD in mind. It had 4 CPU's (not 4-core but 4X physical CPU's), 4 SCSI 10,000RPM drives mirrored and striped in R.A.I.D. arrays, an insane Oxygen video card for the time and a 1500 watt, mayhaps larger, power supply. When he fired it up it would literally dim the lights in the room. He got the system something like 20+years ago and the build cost was like $20,000. Thinking about it made me curious.

LOL! I always wanted his printer which was an Epson Stylus Pro 7800 8 cartridge which was the same printer we used for posters and large prints when I ran the photo department at Walgreens. The thing will even print on canvas!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/353802084834
Was almost tempted when I saw the price on the above link but the cartridges, if true Epson, are like ~$80.00 each but can get generic for ~$45.00. I just figured that I had no real use as I no longer sell my photos. Never sold that many photos anyway but did sell some. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:48 pm 
Site Admin

That sure sounds like a power hungry system -- I can imagine it would dim the lights. :-P

Nice printer, but you'd really need to sell a whole bunch of prints to make it worthwhile, even at that price.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:21 pm 

sboots wrote:
That sure sounds like a power hungry system -- I can imagine it would dim the lights. :-P

Nice printer, but you'd really need to sell a whole bunch of prints to make it worthwhile, even at that price.

Ya, it was a power hungry system but once the system posted the lights came back to normal. I would assume that, once powered up, it dropped to what was actually needed.

Ya, nice printer but I no longer have the need. Who knows, if I had the same printer ages ago I might still be selling photos. Since I didn't have a large format printer I had to have anything larger than 8.5X11 done at a photo shop. I just could not make any money as to large prints as I had to also compete with prices from places like Walgreens. Could not make money when I was paying the same price for the larger prints as I could charge. As an example look at the following image... Stitched with 15 normal photos. I would love to have it printed and framed but it would cost me over $100.00 just to have it printed then I'd have to have a custom frame made. I'd love to have this panorama on the wall behind my couch but am not willing to pay the price as I would want like 5 feet long. Even doing it as a 6 foot banner at Walgreens for like $30.00 and cutting it would still be VERY expensive for a frame and there would be some quality loss.
If you look at the image I challenge you to find a flaw as to the stitching! :mrgreen: Click on the panorama from the above link and it will expand but you would need to use the horizontal scroll bar to view the whole thing.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:53 am 

That is certainly a glorious panorama Jay and could imagine it being costly to do justice to it. :)

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:37 am 
Site Admin

Amazing panarama!

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:12 pm 

Thanks! :) I did the thing with a free offering from Canon called Stitcher. If you have a canon printer or camera you may still find it hidden on the install CD.

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware