Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Surface 3 2-in-1
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:47 am 
Site Admin

jaylach wrote:
I suppose that the Surface keyboard does act sort of like a case when attached and closed and, like Steve, I have a well padded laptop case. It's not like the thing is going to leave my apartment often anyway.

I guess that it all comes down to how you will use it in the apartment, too. If you will be carrying it around regularly for use as a tablet, then a case makes sense. If you were carrying a laptop around from room to room, then the Surface isn't much different from a fragility perspective. Laptops don't like being dropped either. ;-)

Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:36 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Going by how I've been using my Android it usually is on my night stand in my bedroom where I do most of my reading. Other than that I read while soaking in a tub. I really don't carry it around. Of course, running Windows instead of Android, that could change but I doubt it.

Even my laptop doesn't move around. The only time in over a year that it has left my corner desk is when I thought that I blew the video card in my main system and I moved the laptop closer to my main screen to connect via HDMI so I could still do stuff. BTW, you may remember that the video card was fine and and the issue was thermal and I just had to blow it out with compressed air to clean.

Actually I'm not really sure that I understand what you mean by a case; remember that I'm not all that up on mobile devices not even carrying a cell phone. Do you mean a case like a laptop case/bag or something that is more permanent and the unit is still usable while in the case. I figure that you probably mean the latter which is how my Android is set up. It came with a case that has its Blu-tooth keyboard built in. The tablet slides in the other side and the entire unit pretty much works like a 2 in 1 when everything is together. To be honest pretty much the only time I use the case is if I go to the VA or some other place where I may have to wait. While I understand how such a case will cushion the unit if dropped I don't really see how it would protect the screen if it was open and in use.

If I'm correct and you mean like my Android case here are two I'm looking at.

This one from Amazon is cheaper at $35.99 but still seems to be decent quality:
https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Surface-Case-Built-Exclusive/dp/B00X4SUQFE/

This one from New Egg costs a bit more at $52.65 but I think I like the marble look.
https://www.newegg.com/p/35H-006M-00782

<edit>
I just ordered the one from Amazon. There are some negative reviews but they are more about the fit than anything else. Some people just don't read the descriptions! One complained that it was too small for their Surface 3 Pro. It isn't for a Surface 3 Pro. :dunno: One of the reasons that I went with this one is that the one from New Egg had no reviews so I couldn't see complaints.

Also went and ordered a 2-pack of tempered glass screen protectors.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019OBTMCM/
<end edit)

Here is what I mean about my Android case. It is a 10.1 inch screen. Too bad the 10.8 inch Surface wouldn't fit. :(

Attachment:
IMG_2121.JPG
IMG_2121.JPG [ 85.72 KiB | Viewed 3600 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_2122.JPG
IMG_2122.JPG [ 77 KiB | Viewed 3600 times ]

Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:53 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, a case means something to protect the device while still keeping it usable. It seems like you and I are similar in not moving our laptops and tablets around much -- which is why I've never used cases on my Surface Pro tablets. I forgot that I got the case for my Samsung MN700 tablet years back. It uses a bluetooth keyboard. so no keyboard cover. It sits in a little dock for power, extra USB and Ethernet, but not with the case. I ended up never using the case at all.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:08 pm 

The Blu-tooth keyboard for my Android is actually built into the case and can't be removed.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:44 am 

This is the case I have for my iPhone 7 Plus but mine is red.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fyy-iPhone-Blocking-Handmade-Protector/dp/B01D2WSIX8/ref=sr_1_25?crid=34RFIKOTL7IL1&dchild=1&keywords=iphone+7+plus+cases&qid=1613487049&sprefix=iPhone+7%2Caps%2C189&sr=8-25

I have a few cases for my Kindle Fires but they all close to protect and when open can be used as a stand.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:22 pm 

Yea! The tablet shipped. :)

<edit>
Another Windows Tablet question...

On my other systems I run Defender and Malware Bytes Premium for security although I will install the free version of Malware Bytes on the tablet but, of course, that is not real time. My question is if I should just stay with Defender for my main protection or if I should install the free version of Avast or AVG. I'm not going to pay for anti virus on the thing. Keep in mind that I'll be connecting to the Internet wireless through a firewalled router and will be doing system images.

I guess, if I used my head, I should quit looking at this new tablet like my current Android. It is a Windows system and I guess I should should just treat it like any of my other Windows systems... ;)

Post Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:07 pm 
Site Admin

Defender should be fine with the bonus MBAM that you would do a manual scan with. Your best protection is your own safe computing practices -- not clicking on everything and being cautious about attachments and downloads.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:31 pm 

sboots wrote:
Defender should be fine with the bonus MBAM that you would do a manual scan with. Your best protection is your own safe computing practices -- not clicking on everything and being cautious about attachments and downloads.

Going with the last line in my last post of "I guess, if I used my head, I should quit looking at this new tablet like my current Android. It is a Windows system and I guess I should should just treat it like any of my other Windows systems... " I just submitted a ticket to MBAM asking if they would add a third device to my current 2 device subscription at a pro-rated cost until my current subscription expires in September after which I would be willing to pay for a three device license. It is cheaper to go with multiple device subscriptions than each being independent. If they offer a decent price to do this I'll go ahead. If not I'll just go with Defender and MBAM free until my current subscription expires and then check prices. I'm not really all that concerned but DO like having MBAM Premium active on a system.

I wish I would have thought ahead years ago and bought more lifetime licenses for MBAM before they went subscription. As it is I have one lifetime license which is used on my main system.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:12 pm 

I have 2 Lifetime licences, 1 I use on my desktop and the other on this HP Envy laptop I use the most. My Asus is on a renewable licence. I don't use that laptop very often as it isn't a very large storage device so really just turn it on now and then to keep it up to date.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:37 pm 

So far I haven't heard back from MBAM support. I did find through my account page where I can add devices at a pro-rated cost but the only option is to go from 2 devices to 5. That would give me two devices available that I don't have and I'm not going to pay for protection on 5 when I only need 3.

If they don't work with me as to upgrading to 3 devices I'll just use the free version until September when my current subscription ends and buy again. Doing a straight purchase I can select 3 devices. Since I can buy for 3 I doubt that I'll actually have a problem with them adding just 1 to my current subscription to make it 3. While I haven't heard from their support yet I DID get an email saying that their ticket volume was very high at this time and a response would take longer than normal.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:36 pm 
welcoming committee

Circa May last year my bank started to offer Malwarebytes Premium at no cost to it's customers, a 2 year licence for up to 10 devices.
https://personal.rbs.co.uk/personal/fraud-and-security/malwarebytes.html

Naturally i jumped on it but i've only just realised today it was for 10 devices! Either the bank changed the device limit or i missed that part when i installed it on my PC, i could've sworn it said it was a single licence when i installed it but i've just checked my MBAM account and it confirms 10 devices. Needless to say i'll be upgrading the Free version on my other devices to the Premium version asap.

Sadly i can't find a list online of banks that have partnered with Malwarebytes, all i know is the former RBS Group (now renamed to the Natwest Group) have.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:54 pm 

Well I'm sitting here with a micro SD, case and screen protectors and no where to go. ;) Since the tablet shipped 2 days after the stuff that is here I'm crossing my fingers for Saturday but don't really expect until next week..

Since the tablet was released in 2015, a few months before the release of Windows 10, it originally came with Windows 8.1 but is already upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. Assuming that it is not the current version of Windows 10 I wonder if it would be quicker to just update what is there or to just install the latest version as a clean install. Even if I do a clean install it should still automatically activate but, if not, I have plenty of spare Windows 7 keys to use. I figure that, if just one version behind, I'll just update. If more behind, a clean install. Won't I be surprised if it is current? :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:57 pm 
Site Admin

I'd go the update route. The cumulative update process should mean minimal rounds and then one or two feature updates perhaps.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:07 pm 

Thanks Steve. :)

Knowing myself I know that it is going to be hard for me not to try to open up my Android tablet to see if I can replace the battery... :mrgreen: The thing is fine as is except for the battery losing run time and is still fine as a backup reader. Still, even if I ruin the thing, I'm not really out anything. I think, getting 7-8 years out of a system I paid $80.00-$90.00 including keyboard and case, I've already gotten my money's worth. :!:

Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:20 pm 
Site Admin

Odds are good that the battery is soldered in, but you may be lucky. :-)

Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:13 pm 

sboots wrote:
Odds are good that the battery is soldered in, but you may be lucky. :-)

I would expect the battery to be soldered. As long as it is just the leads I'm not concerned as I'm pretty good with a low wattage iron. In fact I have successfully patched broken traces on a Mylar circuit sheet using solder on each end of the break and using a small wire to patch. They sell very low temp solder that can be used with just a match.

I have a 64 GB SD card in a USB card holder just about full of installs and data such as my photos. It is also setup with the install for the latest version of Windows 10. At least I'm ready. :) I'm starting to wonder if I should have gotten a 512 GB micro SD instead of the 256 GB but I'm probably fine as is. I do intend to do several installs on the SD card though as the SSD included is only 128 GB. If I need larger I can get when needed. All I'd have to do is copy everything, including installs, to the larger SD and make sure the drive letter remained the same. The registry entries remain valid as long as the drive letter remains the same. I've done such before without issue with hard drives. The only trick is to make sure that the viewing of hidden and protected files is enabled before doing the copy. Another way is to just clone the thing and then extend the resulting partition to take in the entire card (drive).

I'm really impressed with the packaging for the screen protectors! It is like a hard cover book with foam rubber padding along the edges to prevent any possible pressure being applied to the glass sheets... LOL! Well... if you dropped a brick on it... :mrgreen: Seriously, you have to really push pretty hard to get the cover to bend. Application does look like a little bit of a project though. I've never tried a tempered glass protector before and didn't know the process. All I ever used on my Android was plastic sheets that I had to cut to size. These things came with both wet and dry screen cleaners, alignment stickers and even a small 'squeegee' card to work out any bubbles.

The case also seems nice. It was advertised as being leather but you never know if it is real leather or fake. It feels like real leather and the stitching is quite small and clean. It also does not have preset lift angle settings. When unfolded it is in three parts. When elevated there is a section on which everything else sits. The bottom of the section that actually holds the tablet has what is like Velcro but isn't. It is much finer and more rigid than what I think of with Velcro. It does act like Velcro on the base section though allowing adjustment to almost any angle. I also find the black and white color scheme quite attractive. I'm glad that I didn't go with the other one I was considering which was fake leather with a marble appearance and was higher priced.

Attachment:
surface case.jpg
surface case.jpg [ 64.19 KiB | Viewed 3531 times ]

Attachment:
surface case 2.jpg
surface case 2.jpg [ 50.03 KiB | Viewed 3528 times ]

Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:35 pm 

MBAM subscription is taken care of adding another device at a pro-rated price. The tablet will have MBAM Premium. Could do without but I really like having MBAM running real time.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:52 pm 

Sigh, don't know when I'll get the tablet now as it is held up by the winter storms. Tracking says:
FedEx wrote:
No scheduled delivery date available at this time.

It is sitting in Iowa. :(

Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

jaylach wrote:

It will be in your hands soon. ;-)

Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:00 pm 

Ya, from what I read warmer weather is on the way in that part of the country.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:11 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:

Likely hoping going to Wyoming won't happen?

These are the 10 most boring states in America for 2018
https://www.theladders.com/career-advice/these-are-the-10-most-boring-states-in-america-for-2018

Sorry, i couldn't resist :rofl2:

Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:24 pm 

I like boring if that is what it is. It all depends on what you are after. Yes, a very low population and very little industry but you can breathe the air without worrying what else is in it. Being one of the most boring is a bit odd as Wyoming has a fairly large tourist business. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:45 pm 

I don't get it! Tracking on my package said it had finally reached Wyoming yesterday. Today it is in Salt Lake City Utah. :dunno:

Only thing I can figure is that it was re-routed due to road closures...

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:19 pm 
welcoming committee

Weather? Or Covid at a local depot? Or AI takeover?

I guess the only way to know is if you contact the company handling the shipping, or the seller.

The tablet or it's AI pals might be changing the shipping label to avoid Wyoming?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AI_takeover

:shhh3: I'm NOT a robot!

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:45 pm 

More likely weather than COVID.

I also thought of another possibility. At the time I ordered the Surface I also ordered a 256 GB micro SD. The two shipped on different days so it could, possibly, be a tracking conflict as I have just one tracking number for both items. I was thinking I had received everything except for the Surface but am still waiting for the SD also. I sort of forget about the SD. Hind sight is always 20/20. I now wish I had ordered a 512 GB SD instead of the 256 GB. That way I could have synced the tablet os another data backup. Still can with 256 GB as my data drive is 209 GB used space but that would not leave much space for installs I intend to do on the thing. I'll probably still do the sync but exclude my virtual machines. That would save 92.3 GB. Since my entire data drive, including virtual machines, is already synced to my second desktop and laptop along with external storage it should not be a big deal. The worst case is that I get a 512 GB micro SD at a later time and use the 256 GB in an adapter for my camera. Yes, 256 GB seems extreme for a camera but my Canon Rebel T3 also does a good job as a video camera. Videos eat up storage space pretty quickly.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware