Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Surface 3 2-in-1
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:39 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Well CRUD! :( Like I said I seem to be having problems with my ordering this time around. The game pad just does not seem to want to pair with either my Surface or main systems via Bluetooth. Looking at the instructions it only describes Bluetooth connections via a Nintendo switch. It only describes PC connection via USB. It goes through the process and both the Surface and main systems see the controller but it won't finish the process. Not exactly as it appeared to be described. The description doesn't specifically state Bluetooth for PC; just says for Nintendo Switch and/or PC which it is as it does work on a PC via USB.

Haven't decided yet but I'll either return the thing or use it on my second desktop that doesn't have Bluetooth anyway. I DO rather like the feel of the thing and already have a 10 foot USB extension cable ordered that I was going to use with my old controller and second system. We shall see. I'll probably wait until the Bluetooth mouse arrives to make sure it isn't my Bluetooth (very doubtful) before making a decision. Too bad the new controller isn't Logitech or I'd probably be able to connect it via a unifying dongle that I could leave in the dock. Here is what the description says: "1) this pro handle is compatible with the switch host and also supports windows computers." While essentially true it is a bit misleading. I think they should state that PC support is only USB.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:33 am 
Site Admin

Well, that's unfortunate.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:16 pm 

sboots wrote:
Well, that's unfortunate.

Ya, it is. :( I still think that, if only USB for a PC, it should state that and I may return just due to that fact. Still, on the other hand, I do like the feel of the thing and may keep for my second desktop that does not have Bluetooth. While I have my game console emulators installed on my second desktop they are pretty useless without a game pad even though they do include keyboard control. Think about playing Super Mario with a keyboard; just doesn't work well.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:32 pm 

As an add-on to my post immediately above I wonder...

I've been messing with this game pad on my main system and Windows 10 actually thinks it is paired but the controller just won't finish. Windows DOES show it as a paired Bluetooth device. Being an off the wall controller it may not be easy to find but there is the possibility of a firmware update for the controller itself...

Post Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:35 am 

Nope, heard from the seller and it will not do Bluetooth in Windows. I had posted a product review yesterday giving just 2 out of 5 stars. They tried to pay me $5.00 to change my rating!

"Sorry for your misunderstanding and give us a bad evaluation.could you please modify the bad review to 5 reiew in our product and store,We can give you 5 dollars as compensation,is it OK? wait for your reply ,thanks"

Guess what seller I'll be avoiding in the future... :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:27 pm 
Site Admin

Interesting tactic to get better reviews! I'm in agreement -- I wouldn't budge on that either.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:31 pm 

sboots wrote:
Interesting tactic to get better reviews! I'm in agreement -- I wouldn't budge on that either.

I reported them to New Egg as being unethical. :twisted:

If any use New Egg and want to avoid this seller they are 'Super life store'.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:39 pm 

LOL! Well something worked anyway. :o Mouse arrived a day early and connected to the Surface via Bluetooth without any issue. Well no issue after I remembered to turn it on... :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:32 pm 

Mouse is pretty cool! I have it setup as Bluetooth on my Surface and am using the USB dongle on my second desktop. Really it is close to having a dual display. The way I have it set I just move off of one display to the other and it automaticall switches between Bluetooth and USB dongle according to which display it is on.

Logitech Flow also allows copy/paste between connected systems.
https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/options/page/flow-multi-device-control

To be honest I pretty much already had the two screens through pairing the same mouse on two different unifying dongles on different systems but in this case I don't need the dongle on my Surface. Also, using unifying dongles means that the mouse is active on all associated displays at the same time. With Flow only the display that is actively using the mouse at that time is affected.

I also had the file sharing through my network links between systems for shares but, with Flow, I don't need to open my network links as I can just drag from one system to another.

All in all this whole thing seems to work well and I think I like it a lot. Of course I've only had the thing a short while so there may be adjustments. For instance the way I have it set the mouse switches systems just by moving off the proper side of the display just like dual monitors on a single system. If this becomes frustrating due to switching systems by accident I can change it to where I have to hold the control key when I move off of one display to another.

There IS a flaw with the entire Logitech method though. You really need a wired mouse around for unified setup as you can only have one unifying dongle plugged in at a time. I still kick myself at times for giving away my only wired mouse. It is just difficult, at times, to pair a mouse to a system with a new dongle as you have no mouse once you switch dongles. Not a huge deal as you can still navigate via the tab and arrow keys. In this case I just paired to the dongle that was already on my second desktop.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:47 pm 
welcoming committee

When the cat's away the mouse will play, damn that Logitech cat! :cmouse:

Post Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:18 pm 

Doddie wrote:
When the cat's away the mouse will play, damn that Logitech cat! :cmouse:

Ahhh, but I have the bird from Hades to protect against the Logitech cat! :gunner:
:crow:

Just not sure if I should have the dongle aspect on my second desktop or the main. I went with the second as both it and the Surface will normally be in my bedroom. I will end up seeing if I can add the new mouse to the unifying dongle on my main system while also linked to my second to see if that will give me copy/paste between all three.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:21 pm 
welcoming committee

:rofl2:

Post Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:42 pm 

Just tried pairing to my main system but it failed. May or may not look deeper but it is either the mouse can only be paired to one unifying dongle or the dongle in my main is too old to support this mouse. I may play with this but doubt it as anything I would possibly want to copy/paste from my main is already on my second as the second desktop's data drive is a clone of that on my main and the second desktop and the Surface are already linked. Well, shoot! I guess that my main and the Surface are also linked as I do a data backup type sync from my main to the Surface.

So, basically I think I'm done. Of course there will be future changes as there always are. I MAY look for a real Bluetooth game pad for the Surface but it really isn't needed although it would be nice. ;) Actually saw one that was rather cool in that it is expandable to where the sides slide apart to hold a tablet in the center but would need to look at the dimensions to be sure it could actually mount the Surface. It would be like turning the Surface into a hand held game console with the controls on either side of the display. If I decided to get it would just be another toy but one that is pretty cool. :mrgreen: Be kind of cool to do Super Nintendo, PS1 and N64 (My currently installed console emulators) as a hand held arcade. :mrgreen: I've already proven my emulators on the Surface and they run fine.....................

Post Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:17 pm 
Site Admin

I was wondering about the potential for switching systems accidentally, so having the option to use the CTRL key to trigger the switch is good.
Have fun. :-)

Post Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:39 pm 

sboots wrote:
I was wondering about the potential for switching systems accidentally, so having the option to use the CTRL key to trigger the switch is good.
Have fun. :-)

Really, even if switching which system is an accident, it isn't an issue as it just takes moving the mouse back to where it would be on the desired screen. This is the aspect to where it is similar to having dual extended displays on one system. There is a lot to play with on the critter. For instance what happens if I copy a shortcut for an app from one system to another and double click? Will it just do nothing? Will it actually launch the app on the system it is installed? Will it launch the app on the system that the shortcut is opened? Would be interesting to play with such possibilities... and I'm sure I will... :mrgreen:

<edit>
Very interesting! Making a shortcut for an app on my second desktop and copying to my Surface has mixed results. I guess it all depends on the app. Some I tried actually opened on my Surface even though the app was located on my second desktop. Some opened on my second desktop and some did nothing.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:10 pm 

Well dang! Unless I decide to get a Bluetooth game pad specific for Windows for the Surface I guess I'm done. :( Now what do I do? :dunno: Plan on building a new main system but that is not until late Summer or Fall. I guess that it will have to be back to tinkering with some programming. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:13 am 
welcoming committee

I have been thinking of doing a new system, but with all the shortages in cards I think I will wait a while.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:56 am 

dvair wrote:
I have been thinking of doing a new system, but with all the shortages in cards I think I will wait a while.

That is one of the reasons that I'm waiting until late summer or fall. :)

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:37 am 
welcoming committee

What means "shortages in cards"?

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:54 am 
Site Admin

There's a chip shortage, making it harder for manufacturers to meet demand. It's especially pronounced with the newer graphics cards.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:36 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks, Steve. I didn't know that since I operate with old computers (5-years or more), lol.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:55 pm 

sboots wrote:
There's a chip shortage, making it harder for manufacturers to meet demand. It's especially pronounced with the newer graphics cards.

Tends to drive up the price of the final product.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:30 pm 

If I decide to go with a game pad specific for the Surface this looks interesting.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/ipega-PG-9083S-BT-Gamepad-Wireless-Retractable-Game-Controller-for-iOS-Android-Smartphone-Tablet-PC/531008581
It opens to hold a tablet essentially turning it into a hand held game console. It opens to 11 inches and the Surface is 10.5 inches wide so it should fit. Be nice with my SNES, PS1 and N64 emulators. :mrgreen: LOL! I'd definitely double check that it is in fact Bluetooth for a Windows PC. ;)

Attachment:
e72a7358-d5ce-4761-892d-ec850c9f5d5f_1.73f65a51f3714ffad3054a62bca85495.jpeg
e72a7358-d5ce-4761-892d-ec850c9f5d5f_1.73f65a51f3714ffad3054a62bca85495.jpeg [ 34.49 KiB | Viewed 4242 times ]

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:22 pm 
welcoming committee

A boy and his toys...... :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:31 pm 

bbarry wrote:
A boy and his toys...... :mrgreen:

How true... :mrgreen:

Of course, with the way my buying has gone lately, I went to Walmart to grab the game pad and some ink with my $70.00 in gift cards. Figures that they were out of stock on both. :( Have to see if I can use my gift cards on-line.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware