Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post subject: Curved Monitor
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:03 am 
welcoming committee

As I grow older (86), so do my eyes. I currently use a 27" regular rectangular monitor, and I'm thinking about getting a 30-32" curved monitor in hopes this will be easier on my eyes.

Does anyone have any experience with or opinions on curved monitors?

Post subject: Re: Curved Monitor
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:35 am 
Site Admin

I have an opinion, but very little experience. My experience is with the monitor I got for my wife -- a 27 inch with a slight curvature. She loves it. I currently use dual 23 inch monitors side by side and want to upgrade to a curved 34 inch or larger for the same reason -- eyesight.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:54 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Agreed that they are expensive. I never used one so can't comment on the eyesight aspect. LOL! Get a 43 inch screen and pot it 8 feet away and ya won't need a curve. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:09 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
I have an opinion, but very little experience. My experience is with the monitor I got for my wife -- a 27 inch with a slight curvature. She loves it. I currently use dual 23 inch monitors side by side and want to upgrade to a curved 34 inch or larger for the same reason -- eyesight.

When you get your 34" curved monitor, what curvature are you thinking about...1000R (most), 1500R or 1800R (least)?
Literature says the 1000R fits the eyeball more naturally, but that's quite a jump from a straight monitor. Still, the 1000R is what I am thinking about getting, probably a Samsung.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:55 pm 
Site Admin

I was also looking at the Samsung offerings and am probably leaning towards the 1000R curvature, too. It will still be a while, though, as I should really get a new desktop PC first as mine is getting long in the tooth. ;-)

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:17 pm 

LOL! I finally have some input here. I went to a store and checked out some curved monitors and hated them. Don't get me wrong as I'm sure they are fine but I'm blind in my right eye and this made it hard to really see the right side of the monitor without turning my head. My input would be that, if you have any issues with peripheral vision, a curved monitor may not be the best option.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:06 pm 
welcoming committee

@ Steve - thanks for your input. I have decided to sleep on it, as I'm still uncertain as whether to go 1000R or 1500R. Coming from a flat monitor, I'm still a little worried that a 1000R might be too drastic a change. I was hoping that you would come back and say you bought your Samsung 1000R today and here are all the reasons you like it, lol.

Unlike Jay, I can't go to a local store and actually try some curved monitors, because the nearest store with a good variety is down in Little Rock, about 80 miles away. A few months ago I did go to a Best Buy about 50 miles away. All they had was a 27" 1800R Monitor, and I could hardly tell it was curved.

@Jay - I don't have peripheral vision, but I do have double vision corrected by prisms in my eyeglasses. I use to joke with some of my working staff that I could see and work with two monitors at once; unfortunately, each monitor showed exactly the same thing.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:57 am 
Site Admin

My wife's computer monitor is a 27 inch with a slight curvature -- I would think it is a 1500 or 1800R because it is barely noticeable. She loves it and the slight curve makes sense since it is not a super wide screen to view. I think that the curve would need to be more pronounced for a very wide display otherwise you've have to move your head/eyes quite a bit to see all of the screen. On the other hand, if you are using it to display two or more programs side by side, the benefit of a flat wide screen is that you are removing the bezels from between two displays and you're still going to move your head -- which isn't a bad thing. The more pronounced curve would be good for gaming or watching full screen content where you are not sitting very close to the screen, so can see the main "action" in the middle of the screen with the sides providing a more immersive view.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:13 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
I was also looking at the Samsung offerings and am probably leaning towards the 1000R curvature, too. It will still be a while, though, as I should really get a new desktop PC first as mine is getting long in the tooth. ;-)

Steve, I finally decided to go with a Samsung 34" 1000r monitor. Here's the one I ordered, to be delivered by Walmart in 2 days at a significant discount:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/SAMSUNG-34-ViewFinity-S65TC-Ultra-WQHD-100Hz-AMD-FreeSync-HDR10-Curved-Monitor-with-Thunderbolt-4-and-Built-in-Speakers-LS34C650TANXGO/5197667641

Post Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:31 am 
Site Admin

Very nice -- do let us know how you like it!

Post Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:56 am 

Looks good. :)

Post Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:30 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
Very nice -- do let us know how you like it!

I've now spent the better part of two weeks with my new 34" Samsung 1000R curved monitor, and I am very pleased with it. My primary purpose for the purchase was to ease the strain on my old eyes. The enlarged screen has allowed me to maximize parameters like text size (225%), display resolution (3340x1440 recommended), medium icon size, refresh rate (100Hz), etc. So everything looks bigger to me.

I also find the curvature of the screen to be very pleasing and less straining on my eyes. When my eyes need to focus on the far side(s) of the screen, I turn my head slightly but the distance to the screen remains about the same as when I am looking straight ahead. In other words, my line of sight to anywhere on the screen is perpendicular to the screen. In contrast, when I focus on the far side(s) of my 32" flat monitor, my eyes are definitely straining to retain focus.

Because the screen is so massive, I personally prefer to use the 'night light' mode all the time so that the screen is not so bright.

Although I don't use dual monitors, I can place a worksheet and a document side-by-side on this expansive monitor and still am able to work within both windows. The monitor does have Picture-By-Picture and Picture-In-Picture capabilities, but I have yet to explore these.

So this monitor has definitely met my needs and expectations. In fact, it actually exceeds my needs since it is a true 'gaming monitor', and I don't do much (if any) gaming. I do, however, work with my animal photos and videos, and I felt like these would be enhanced using a gaming monitor.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:19 pm 

Happy to hear. :)

Post Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:47 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the update -- a new larger curved monitor is definitely on my want list. :-)

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware