Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?

Post subject: How to watch TV online?
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:28 pm 
welcoming committee

We don't have a TV, but occasionally wish we could watch something, like, for instance, the Sound of Music special tonight. :) On the NBC site, I can't find a place to watch live.

I found something called stream2watch.me, but it won't allow me to stream without downloading something. My Java is up to date, but it still wants me to download it, or install New Player, or another media player...on and on...depending on which Play button I click (and there are many!) Needless to say, this all strikes me as a great way to get all kinds of nasty stuff, downloading from there.

So my question is...how can you watch online withOUT downloading a bunch of junk that is probably not beneficial to my computer? Are there reputable sites that offer this?

Post Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:48 pm 
welcoming committee

Okay, hold everything. I think maybe my Java IS out of date. Worse yet, I just tried to update it, and the Progress window shows...nothing. No progress in the bar, and the X to shut the window is grayed. I can't close it. :shock: What have I done now? Grr.

And in my search on this forum, I find some people saying that I shouldn't have Java at all. So is there any way to watch online TV without Java?

Post Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:51 pm 
welcoming committee

Had to reboot to get rid of the stalled-out Java update. I do hope someone has an answer for this. I've tried before, and have never found a satisfactory answer.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:28 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
The following link to the Sound of Music page on nbc.com MIGHT include the show when it starts, not sure.
http://www.nbc.com/sound-of-music/

Java should not be needed to watch on-line TV. JavaScript, yes; Java, no. That does not mean that some available shows won't display without Java, it just means that, in general, Java is not required. Most will view in your browser but some might open your default media player.

The first step that I'd make would be to install Windows Essential Codec Pack.
http://www.mediacodec.org/download/
Make sure to choose a custom or advanced install to make sure that you do not get any toolbars or the like. If you use the 'Direct' download link I do not think that there will be any added garbage but can't remember for sure. I suggest that you DO allow the install of Media Player Classic as it, in my opinion, is one of the best around.

Now, as to on-line TV. There ARE options. I have tried Rabbit TV and it is really pretty good as to its organization but does cost $10.00USD/year and needs a USB device that acts as a 'key' to work.
https://rabbittv.com/
This system does work and does so pretty well but there are totally free options such as Channel Chooser
http://www.channelchooser.com/
At least it WAS free... Now it says that a free trial is free... let me check something...
OK, the free trial thing is actually an ad for HULU.
I find this system much more cumbersome than RabbitTV but it does the job. Just be prepared to search and hunt. I'm sure that if logged in it is much more manageable with an option for storing 'favorites'.

To be honest most networks stream shows so sometimes the easiest way to watch on-line is to just go to the network's site.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:20 pm 
welcoming committee

I haven't been able to figure out any way to get there. VERY disappointing! :( Just hoping that the video will be available soon, because I would really love to see it!

I've never been able to stream any of the shows I've wanted at the networks' websites...does this mean that I don't watch 'normal' shows? :) I downloaded the Codec Pack, but still nothing has worked so far. Bah! I worked for awhile with Channel Chooser, but can't see any way to watch anything without giving them credit card info, which I'm just not going to do. Either it's free, and they don't NEED that, or it's not. I'm guessing not. Sheesh.

Oh, well...I guess this is what I get for going TV-free. ;) Thanks for your help!

Post Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:41 pm 

Have you added any 'filters' to your firewall beyond the default?

I don't understand your issue; I go to the network site and click and am watching.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:23 am 
Site Admin

I am not aware of any Network TV channel that streams their shows live concurrent with an "over the air" broadcast event. They make series shows available after the show/episode has been broadcast. And the network sites don't use java.
Any "free" TV site you are trying to access on the Internet for streaming TV live concurrent with broadcast is either not free, offering content that is already available free from one or more sources, or a scam.
-steve

Post Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:54 am 
welcoming committee

I agree with Steve. You won't be able to find a legit source where you can watch live TV for free. It would mess up the income stream for networks if they allowed that to happen.

There is a service that rebroadcasts live TV but it costs $8 a month: Aero - https://aereo.com/ . But even they are having legal battles about it.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:44 pm 
Fearless Leader

But you can often watch shows later, on demand. I watched The Mentalist on CBS's site a couple of weeks ago after Comcast screwed up the listing and
the DVR failed to record it. It was full screen and looked great on my 25.5 inch monitor! Perhaps they will put your show up for later viewing.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:51 pm 

I watch programs later as well Patty. I'm out at the shops Friday morning so miss Homes Under the Hammer so I'll watch it either Saturday or Sunday on BBC iPlayer on my Notebook.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:35 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
But you can often watch shows later, on demand. I watched The Mentalist on CBS's site a couple of weeks ago after Comcast screwed up the listing and
the DVR failed to record it. It was full screen and looked great on my 25.5 inch monitor! Perhaps they will put your show up for later viewing.
The same thing happened to me with Dish but I still haven't seen that episode because problems with Flash. While you do give up some control it is nice to have programs available online to see later after they air.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:59 pm 

I will stand corrected. I just went to CBS.com and selected to watch. How I Met Your Mother came on while the guide showed Dr. Phil.

Here is a link to the Sound Of Music Live on the NBC site.
http://www.nbc.com/sound-of-music/video/the-sound-of-music-live/n43944/

Post Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:50 pm 
Fearless Leader

That's just selected videos, Jay, not the whole show. I watched most of them. The gal who plays the "Mother Superior" (I don't recall the character's name)
is outstanding. Carrie does a credible job on a couple of pieces (like The Lonely Goatherd) - but she's no Julie Andrews. For my money, you don't take on a
legend unless you have another legend; and while Carrie is lovely, she is not a legend. Completely different kind of voice that is wrong for this part.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:46 pm 

LOL! I don't seem to be able to get anything quite right in this thread. ;) Mayhaps this is the right link, it is listed as a 'full episode'.
http://www.nbc.com/sound-of-music/video/the-sound-of-music-live/n43944/
Hmmm, that looks to be the same link as I sent above. I haven't watched the whole thing but did skip through about the first half and it seemed to be the entire

This is the main page on the NBC site for the show.
http://www.nbc.com/sound-of-music/video/

Hey Patty, how about casting Celien Dion(sp) in the Andrews role? I would think that she would have the voice but I don't know that the 'look' would be right for the role. WOW! Another that could do the singing justice might be Patty Benatar. While she is probably best known as a hard rocker I think that this song may show that she just might be able to do Sound of Music justice... I do have to admit to always having a crush on the lady so my opinion might be biased. ;) The link is to her doing "One Love", a wonderful song and worth the click in any case. :) And she has eyes that could melt dry ice! ;)
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Patty+Bennatar&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=7133EBB94F7EF0BF14CB7133EBB94F7EF0BF14CB

Post Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:24 am 
Fearless Leader

Those are rock voices, Jay, and though very lovely, neither is right for the Sound of Music. You want a classically trained lyric soprano in the role. :)
Though not singing in operatic voice. Sylvia McNair comes to mind - would be perfect for the role, but she's no youngster anymore. Here she is singing
Somewhere: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP2fTNtiU-c
And All the Things You Are: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnYbBAkYVYU
And doing a bit of Mozart, to give you the idea of her classical singing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VWfCe_ps-A
After looking around for clips, I'm not sure she has the vocal strength to match Julie Andrews, though she certainly has an equally beautiful voice.

Maybe Jackie Evancho in a few years: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQHUKkW2BIA She's a darker soprano than Julie, but I think would do well.

Perhaps one of the sopranos from Celtic Woman?

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:16 pm 

Actually Pat Benatar does have classical training including opera, attending Julliard as part of her training. Not that it means anything but, at one time, her mother was an opera singer.

Of course even training does not mean that she would do well in the part but I do think she would do better than Underwood. I think Underwood is a good singer but don't think that she has the pipes of either Dion or Benatar.

Please understand that I don't think that anyone could match Andrews in the role. It was one of those magic cinematic moments when the role was perfect for her and she was perfect for the role. I really brought up Dion and Benatar not as a equal in the role with Andrews but rather as possibilities of two that might have done better than Underwood.

Of course another question would be if either can act. Benatar has done a couple of minor roles but I don't think that I've seen. I don't know if Dion has acted at all... Of course, in both cases, anytime on stage they are acting but I'd think cinematic performing would be quite different.

BTW, I really don't know the fine points as to voice classifications. You said the part needed a Lyric Soprano. Benatar is classed as a Mezzo Soprano. Any insight on the difference? OK, I found a little that I can understand but don't know if this really defines the difference. A Mezzo Soprano will normally have a range from A below middle C to two octaves above but some will go as low as F below middle C and as high as 'high' C. DO I assume right that a lyric Soprano would automatically have to reach High C?

Post Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:50 pm 
Fearless Leader

"Mezzo" and "Soprano" are both ranges of voice, as is "Alto." Alto being the lowest, mezzo in the middle and soprano the highest. Lyric refers to a vocal quality. Lyric voices are beautiful melodically, often a lighter type of voice. Lyric would be versus, say, dramatic soprano, which is a heavier voice more suited to drama and emotion in the voice, but which may not have the vocal beauty of the lyric soprano. There are other types of soprano voices as well.

You will also hear lyric used to describe any other vocal part such as a lyric tenor, or a lyric baritone; versus a dramatic tenor or baritone.

If you're interested (or if anyone here is interested), I could find some vocal clips of the different types of voices so you can hear the difference. And we'd probably want to split this topic off to another. ;)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:43 pm 

It could make an interesting thread if others are interested.

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?