Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?

Post subject: windows Remote Connect
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:27 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi folks. I have been asked for advice on remotely connecting to a distant computer. My client wishes to work from home. Her workplace network comprises three new desktops, all running windows 7 Pro and at home she has a machine running XP Pro. The info from Microsoft is most ambiguous on the matter of the two different O/Ss. And apparently an IP address has to be entered somewhere. Would this be the workplace modem IP or the workplace computer IP? If you could steer me to a clear tutorial on this, I would be most appreciative.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:08 am 
welcoming committee

The easiest way to do this is with TeamViewer. Your client installs a very small application called quick support on the machine requiring control and gives you the credentials generated. You enter that on your full version and in very short order you are controlling the client's machine. You need not worry about IP addresses, firewalls, etc. as the credentials take care of all that.

It's possible to set it up for remote control without the user being present if the user sets it up that way. If this is your first time with it then it will take a little getting used to but you can practice on your own networked machines. Once you understand it then it will be very simple in the future and much simpler than the built in remote tools.

Take a look at it: http://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/index.aspx

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:57 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks for the response Manny. Since my initial post, I have learned she previously had access to the work computer from home using an app called logmein. But since the new computers were installed at work, running Windows7, the process has slowed down to the point of connection drop-out quite frequently. That's when someone suggested she use the "in-built" Windows facility instead. If you suggest TeamViewer is the way to go, I'll certainly check it out. Will keep you advised.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:15 am 
Fearless Leader

Pete, I assume she has a peer-to-peer network at work? Connecting behind a router? This can be a very tricky situation, as the only useable IP address is the public one - and that belongs to the router. It is bad enough if all machines are Windows 7 - with Windows XP, sometimes it just doesn't work, even when it should. Heck, even with Windows 7 sometimes it doesn't work when it should. Connection via the Internet is far more reliable, and that would be something like Logmein or Team Viewer, as Manny suggests, or Go to my PC.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:47 am 
welcoming committee

Hi Patty. Yes, it is a peer-to-peer network at her workplace and, as I mentioned in my initial post, I had anticipated a prob with IP address. It seems a shame there is a problem with logmein, as they have purchased the pro version. I wonder if it is an incompatibility issue between Windows7 and XP that is causing the drop-outs? That did not happen previously when all computers involved were running XP. I might try the free version of Team Viewer and set it up so I can use her computer to access mine via the internet. If that works OK, it seems Team Viewer would be the way to go. Thanks again for your help.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:30 am 
welcoming committee

I have used LogMeIn for years to network my computers from various locations. (I am now in New Hampshire and this is being looked at and displayed from a computer back at home in New York). LogMeIn should work just fine, I use the free version. Just make sure all the computers are upgraded to the latest version. The paid version does have some nice features, like drag and drop between computers but I have managed to to use work arounds for any of the paid features.

The problem that I had with the built in Remote is that when the necessary new display drivers are used and they stoped various things that were going on on my Video (GPU). LogMeIn uses drivers that do not cause this problem(and specifically tests to insure that it works).

LogMeIn can slow down if you are doing intensive gaming on your video card (or you do not have the latest working drivers). There have been some recent problems with NVIDIA drivers but they have finally seemed to get that right in the new Beta drivers available on their site. Thinking about that now, the drivers might be the problem with the slow down as the MS update will install those drivers that have the problems.

William A. Gustafson
I know I have forgotten more than I can ever hope to remember.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:37 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks Bill. Ann is a bookkeeper...most of her remote work involves MS Office Excel, Access, Word and (I think) she uses Office Outlook for email. Certainly no high-end gaming. What I think I will do is download the latest free version of Logmein and try it between her computer and a PC I have running Windows 7, which is behind a router on my home/office network. This is a situation virtually identical to the one she has to deal with when working. I have gone a bit cold on the Team Viewer idea since I found it costs $699AU. I doubt if her firm would come up with this as they have already bought the pro version of logmein! I'll give it a go next week (the first opportunity I will have to catch up with Ann) and let you know. Many thanks for all your suggestions folks...it's really appreciated.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:06 am 
welcoming committee

TeamViewer is free for normal users. It only costs if used in a commercial environment.

If these computers are in a place of business then I would suggest that you stay away from them unless this business is so small that the person involved is fully in control of everything. A business environment has legal implications that could be problematic.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:59 pm 
Fearless Leader

Pete, it seems the best way to go is to debug LogMeIn. Why not give a call to their tech support team? Or however they offer support. They can probably get you fixed up, particularly as it is a paid version.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?