Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?

Post subject: wayward desktop icons
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:29 pm 
welcoming committee

I know I posted on this a few days ago but I don't know if my question was clear enough. I will set up the scenario first. Currently I have 2 sets of icons on my desktop. One set is typical and usable to initiate a program. This set contains 30 icons and all work well. The second set contains 38 icons and is where the problem lies. This set which contains all the icons of the first set plus a few others is not usable. In other words clicking any of the icons in this set produces no response. Right click or left click makes no difference. However, here is the major problem. It is impossible to delete (or move) any of the icons. I also had three gadgets with the same problem, (clock, and two weather gadgets).
At Manny's suggestion I reset my computer back to before the problem occurred. This did not solve the problem either. All of the "bad" icons and gadgets were still there. So as the situation stands now, everything I need works ( good set of icons) but I sure have a complicaed desktop with 38 unusable icons.

I am open to any and all suggestions. I had a response from Patty but because I could not find the Reply item, I could not respond this morning. This afternoon Jay suggested that my auto login may have expired which negated my ability to do a regular response.
Sorry for taking up all this time and space but I really will appreciate any and all suggestions.

Bob

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:31 am 
welcoming committee

Have you tried deleting them in safe mode?

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:19 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
This IS odd. Do me a favor just for grins. Change your desktop background/wallpaper.

Also look at the desktop folder in your acccount... C:Users\User_name\Desktop. If the 'bad' icons are listed try deleting and see what affect it has on the desktop. If such are listed in the Desktop folder I'd just delete one to see what happens. Probably should re-boot after any such deletion.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:29 pm 
Fearless Leader

This may be a profile corruption.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:06 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks for your suggestions. No solution yet. I have tried to delete them using safe mode, however, still not able to delete. Just one little add-on. There are about 30 icons and three inactive gadget that I am trying to delete. The gadgets are the clock and 2 copies of the weather gadget. One thing I forgot to mention is the right click response. A right click on any open area of the screen or any of the icons or gadgets brings up a box called ATI Catalyst Control Center. This box has a series of commands none of which had any effect on my problem.
Fortunately, I am still able to use my system because in addition to inactive gadgets and icons, I also have a copy of the 30 inactive icons which work normally. I did a little search on "Profile Corruption" but could not fine any information directly applicable to my situation. Again, thank you all for your input and if you come accross any applicable information, please post.
Bob Daun

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:58 pm 
Fearless Leader

You should try creating a new user profile, Bob. I've got to run, but someone here can walk you through it, I hope.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:04 am 

Just use the 'User Applet' in your Control Panel to create a new user with the same permissions that you currently have.

After doing the above create a few shortcuts on the desktop and see that everything is OK

If all is OK copy all the folders from your current account, such as Desktop, Documents, Favorites, etc.. Hmmm, I kind of cringed when I typed 'Desktop' as a folder to copy. I'm not really sure why I saying this, call it a gut feeling, but don't copy Desktop. I know that it will be a minor pain but create your shortcuts from scratch for use in the new account. If all is well use the new account for a few days. If all remains OK delete the old account.

Even if all goes well you MAY still see an issue. Some programs, I'm sure, have created folders in your account folder. Some of these may not be able to find their new home. If that proves to be the case just re-create another user with the same name as the old, copy everything back over.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:00 am 
Fearless Leader

That won't work as a solution, Jay. Windows doesn't care what you call your account; your account is a GUID (globally unique identifier - a 26-digit hex number) to Windows. Recreating an account with the same name does not look like the same account to Windows. It will have a different GUID.

I'm not sure what you are saying in that last paragraph anyway. ;)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:50 am 

Thanks for the info about the 26 digit hex identifier. I was not aware of that.

What I meant in the last paragraph is that an installed program MAY default to a folder in the user folder that the program creates. Once the original user folder is deleted such a program may no longer be able to find its output folder. I guess I was being overly cautious as such an issue should be able to be solved in the program's settings.

LOL! Did I blow anything else in my instructions? Been a little preoccupied by a few other issues. ;) Still don't have a clue as to why I don't want the 'Desktop' folder copied over but just don't. You know me, half the time just going on gut reaction and feelings.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:25 pm 
Fearless Leader

A way to bypass any possible problems would be to run WET (Windows Easy Transfer) and use it to move the data from one account to a new one. I suppose. ;) Bill G is the WET expert, not I. I agree that I would not move the content of the desktop folder wholesale though, as you might be moving the problem with it.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:35 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks again for your suggestions. No luck yet. Thought I may have found a solution on Saturday. I know very little about "Sidebar" but reading that gadgets are placed in the side bar, I thought maybe my non responsive icons were also in the mysterious Sidebar. Did a little search on it with the "How to Geek" and came up with a nice explation of how to disable the sidebar and desktop gadgets in Win-7. Very simple instructions and ended up with a disabled sidebar but when returning to my desktop everything regarding the intractable icons and gadgets was the same as before. Maybe I should focus on replacing my desktop but I am afraid that I would still have the bad actors there. Still open to further comments.

Bob Daun

Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:51 am 
Fearless Leader

Have you tried making a new Windows Profile?

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:19 pm 
Site Admin

Any chance that you can post a screenshot of your desktop?
And have you tried simply changing your desktop wallpaper? Right click/personalize.
Part of me suspects that your desktop wallpaper is a screen capture of your desktop... That would sure be an easy solution if that's true.

-steve

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?