Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:50 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi guys
Yet another problem. I had a large number of files I needed to transfer to another PC (it was a re-install). The only media I had large enough to receive these files was a CD. I burned the files thinking I could retrieve them later. I now have them on a CD but can't move them to other folders. Is this possible? If so, could you explain the process.

The problem is that the original burned data was accidently erased and the only copy is on the CD. These files are rather important. So you see why I need help.

Thanks again in advance for any help.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:59 pm 
Site Admin

You should be able to copy the files from the CD, not "move" them. Once the files get burned to the CD they are permanently on the CD. When viewing the CD in File Explorer/Windows Explorer, are you able to view the files and folders?

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:05 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
As an add-on to what Steve said...

Did you finalize the CD when your burnt the files? If burning through Windows you have the option to setup the CD/DVD as a flash type drive or like a disk to be used in other devices. If you choose to do like a flash drive the resulting CD/DVD is often only usable on the system on which it was burnt. You may have to go back to the original system and redo. You could also just use a USB drive.

Here are the options to which I refer.
Attachment:
burning.jpg
burning.jpg [ 119.6 KiB | Viewed 1978 times ]

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:52 pm 
welcoming committee

thanks Steve and Jay.
Steve, there are two major files on the CD. One opens easily but the other will not. Apparently, when I copied the files, they were copied as a short cut. Since I no longer have the originals, I can't bring up the files.

Jay, I did check the "use as a USB flash drive" so i again can't reach the originals.

I never said that I was too bright. Thanks again to both of you. I'll figure out how to replace the files somehow.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:14 pm 

Sorry but you just should not use the burn option to use as a flash drive if you want to use the CD/DVD on another system.

Still, on the files, not shortcuts, that you can open you should be able to just select the files/folders and copy them to the new install.

Is the original system that held the files still intact? If so it MIGHT be possible to retrieve the files by selecting the Properties for the drive and selecting "Previous Versions" to restore the files on the original system. Sometimes this will help but at other times it will not.

If you have file history enabled on the original system it may also be possible to retrieve the files using File History.

You may also be able to use such software as the following link to recover files that have been deleted from the original system. The less that you have used the original drive the better the chances of such software working.
https://recoverit.wondershare.net/ad/data-recovery.html

Just as a note that will not help here you should never remove files from an original system until they are proven on the second system.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:30 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay,
Thank you for the information. You have been proven correct yet again. The issue is how the original problem began. I was given my DIL's laptop with a battery problem which is yet to be handled. The laptop was also having frequent BSOD's and this became my main issue. After many attempts and not fixing it. I decided to reset the PC. I could not! I do not understand why.

Anyway, I decided to re-install WIN 10. To do this I had to partition the drive and install windows on the new partition. I did so and all went well. This is where I discovered the lost data. To make matters worse I formatted the other partition and made it a storage drive. As you can see why I'm having a problem recovering the data. The thing is Jay, I never make a mistake-just major blunders!

I am going to try the Recoverit app you suggested. I don't have much hope, but I will try. Failing that, I'll find the data somewhere. Thanks again for your help.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:03 pm 

Unless it is a low level format, which Windows does not do, recovery software MAY help. When Windows does a 'quick format (usually the case)' it just changes the drive info to wipe out references to the data that was previously there but, actually, the data is still there.

If you are going to try using recovery sogtware use the drive as little as possible as, even though the data may still be there, it can be written over.

BTW, with some things you said in your last post I would suspect that the hard drive may be failing.

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?