Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:54 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I need to figure out a new place for my printer or remove everything on the shelf above! I was messing around and bumped a shelf above my Canon TS 8120 that held a spindle of blank DVDs. Sad to say the spindle landed on top of the printer and now half the ink cartridges are non-functional even with replacing the cartridges. This is the second printer I've lost due to something falling on it. The first was a picture falling off the wall and landing on the printer. I'm going to totally remove the shelf above where the printer sits. It sits on the bottom of a corner desk where my laptop is. There is enough room on the other side of the desk to hold the shelf. Of course the warranty ran out about 6 weeks ago. :(

I'm replacing with a Canon TS 8220 6 cartridge unit that, at least, uses the same ink cartridges.
https://www.newegg.com/canon-pixma-ts-series-ts8220-inkjet/p/N82E16828143520
It is basically the same printer but a newer model.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:26 am 
Site Admin

Well, that's rather unfortunate. Thankfully printers are fairly cheap, with the cost being the cartridges -- in most cases.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:31 pm 

I'm paying $169.00 Steve but will make out in the long run as the cartridges are only ~$11.00 each.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:31 pm 

Just rearranged my corner desk shelves so there will be no shelf above the printer. :) Had to remove my laptop case to get the room for everything but my laptop hasn't left my apartment in years so the case being in a closet is fine.

After the first destruction of a printer I removed all the Command Strip Velcro picture hangers and replaced with hook and nail hangers. Mayhaps this new printer will be safe. ;)

New printer is supposed to arrive next Tuesday or Wednesday.

I just don't really understand why the spindle of DVDs falling on the thing busted the printer. I could see the scanner being harmed as it is the top most part but I would think that the scanner would have buffered and protected the actual printing part. My best guess would be that the actual damage was to a circuit board that controls the print head. :dunno:

Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:36 pm 

New printer arrived, is setup and working fine. One thing I like about this series of printers is the auto on and off functions. Of course other printers also have this. With the auto on it will turn itself on if a print job is sent. With the auto off it will turn itself off after a certain idle time. I set it for 15 minutes.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:50 pm 

LOL! Of course it just can't be as easy as my above post when it is me doing. :mrgreen:

I wiped the whole install and started over after restoring a system image I did on 7/4/2020. Before doing that I did a clone backup of the current system with the new printer installed.

Bottom line is that I goofed by removing ALL Canon printer software before installing the new printer. I should have just removed the drivers. I do a fair amount of photo printing and they discontinued the photo print utility I'm used to and replaced with one that I just don't care for so far. The image restore was to get back the old utility. I then removed just the old drivers and installed the new printer again. All is good and the old photo print utility still works. I DID allow the new utility to install as it does have some nice options such as printing magnets (with special magnetic paper).

Still a happy camper so far. :)

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing