Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post subject: Atari 2600
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:28 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I LOVE it! I just got an Atari 2600 game console... or at least an emulator. ;)
http://stella.sourceforge.net/
It seems to work well although the user interface is a bit clumsy. My gamepad should be able to handle functions for both the Atari joystick and paddle. The game ROMS are readily available so I assume that they have fallen in to the public domain.

Here is a screenshot of Galaxian... I LOVE a LOT of these OLD retro games. Shoot I have emulators for NES, SNES, N64, PS1 and now the 2600.
Attachment:
atari 2600 galaxian.jpg
atari 2600 galaxian.jpg [ 71.37 KiB | Viewed 7024 times ]

Then there is Battlezone...
Attachment:
battlezone.jpg
battlezone.jpg [ 67.47 KiB | Viewed 7022 times ]

I have no idea why but I love this kind of old stuff..

Post subject: Re: Atari 2600
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:13 am 
Fearless Leader

I do too. I just never found the emulator games easy to play on the computer.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:16 am 

It is all about the controller. Trying to do it via the keyboard is a pain.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:03 am 

Things have come a long way in a short time haven't they.;-)

Post Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:53 pm 

Yes they have Joan and I'm not so sure that I consider all the changes are for the better. Don't get me wrong as I very much like my laptop and desktop. It just does not seem as fun as it was in the early days. Shoot, my very first system booted in 2-3 seconds as the OS was on a chip and only 192KB in size. You could actually know the OS. That is not possible these days. Well, if you have the right mother board, the boot time can be close but not the ability to actually knowing the OS.

I'm not saying that this early OS was better than what we have today, just more fun from my point of view. That point of view is that of an Assembly Language programmer. Say that you wanted to modify the display resolution and/or even put multiple resolutions on the screen at the same time. I actually still remember the memory address that you would use, they were 560 and 561. You would construct your display and change 560 and 561 to point to your list. I could do this in 5 minutes. The OSs of today are so complicated that no one person could possibly really know them. Today in Assembly you pretty much just make calls to routines that are already there. To me that is not fun and is largely why I no longer do such programming. You are just using routines that are already there. After writing code from scratch just making calls to system routines takes away any feeling of originality, creativity and yes, even artistry. For the younger programmers that grew up with the larger operating systems this is probably not an issue as they did not experience computers being an adventure rather than an appliance. I'm not alone in this feeling as is proven by the popularity of emulators of the early computers.

Yes, things have come a long way in a short time but part of me still misses the time of yester-year. ;)

Post Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:15 am 

Oh I can understand the feeling coming from someone who knows how to code and who started with them from more or less the beginning.

Things were a little more advanced when I first came onto the scene in 1998. The kids had a play with a Sinclair ZX at one time and we had a machine at one point, I can't remember what it was called now, it had a monitor and keyboard and a slot for cassettes to play games, Jet Set Willy etc., the instruction book gave you examples of simple codes for you to input but I never got any to work. ;-)

Post Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:53 pm 
welcoming committee

Heh, I have 2 of the old Intellivision (remember them?), and at least 1 of the old Colecovision (remember them?). The entire things, with dozens of games for both including my all time favorite, Dungeons and Dragons Treasure of Tarman. I have not played these things in a good 20 years but everyone tells me, "Don't throw them out, they will be valuable some day." Well anyway I guess that I am saving them for the day that I can no longer hike and find myself trapped at home. By the way, is it as easy to hook these games up to the modern LCD tvs as it was the old vacuum tube monsters?
Acadia

Post Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:41 pm 

If the Intellivision and Colecovision have co-axial output (round screw-on fittings) you should be able to connect I would think.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:01 am 

Decided to quit grumbling about liking OLD systems and get one! ;) Of course it is an emulator.

A little history of the systems to start.

It must be remembered that my first two systems were not MS based, not even DOS although I worked with DOS at work. My first two systems were built by Atari. The f1rst was an Atari 400 but I picture the Atari 800 below as I built up my 400 to surpass the higher level 800... actually I will be showing both. The Atari 400/800 systems used a 6502 processor that ran at a whopping 1.79MHz. Keep in mind that they came out in 1979. At the time they were one of the most powerful systems available as they were one of the first to let the processor just process as they had separate chips to handle video and audio. These systems had initially had a max on RAM of 16KB for the 400 and 48KB for the 800. However they were the geek's dream system as you could totally change just about everything. By splicing a couple of points on the motherboard and jumpering a couple of leads on the RAM addressing chip my system could handle the overwhelming amount of RAM equaling 128KB

Here is the Atari 400. Note that the keyboard is a membrane. On mine I patched in a full keyboard but, due to the times, needed to have it wired, no such thing as wireless at that time. The hatch at the center is actually a cartridge slot.
Attachment:
atari 400.jpg
atari 400.jpg [ 10.53 KiB | Viewed 6969 times ]

Here would be a typical Atari 800 system after they came out with a floppy drive. Initially storage was on a cassette deck. Note that the 800 had a full keyboard.
Attachment:
aTARI 800 SYSTEM.png
aTARI 800 SYSTEM.png [ 171.58 KiB | Viewed 6969 times ]

Then I progressed to an Atari ST. The Atari ST is a strange case as it was mostly developed by Jack Tramiel who was the founder of Commodore Computers. When he left Commodore Computers he bought the computer division of Atari from Warner Communications who actually owned Atari. What a wonderful machine he built!

The Atari ST was based on the Motorola 68000's 16-bit external bus and 32-bit internals. Keep in mind that we are talking about an internal buss rate of 32-bit in 1985, the machine was a monster. Musicians LOVED this system as it came from factory with a 16 channel MIDI interface. If anyone remembers the group Tangerine Dreams who did a fair number of music scores for movies, they used 11 Atari ST systems to allow 3 people to do full symphony type scores. Also the fact that this system could access 4MB of RAM in 1985 wasn't too bad. ;) On... it could also run other system's software. It could run to older Atari 400/800 software along with MS DOS, Macintosh Apple (at least up to 2e) and CPM.

Oh, just on the side ... The 16 channel Midi Port could also be used to network up to eight systems. The basic OS was on a chip so boot time was VERY fast but this version was very basic. However there was a 'special folder' where you could place boot time loads of pretty much anything you wanted on either a floppy or hard drive. In 1985 it had a max screen resolution of 800X600, pretty strong for the time!

An Atari ST... If you happen to notice something in common between both of these series of Atari Computers it just might be that there is no tower. The box that held the keyboard held the entire system. Today companies are pushing systems that are contained in a single unit. How 'before their time' may have Atari been? BTW, the 3,5 inch double sided, high density floppy drive is also contained in the keyboard. Considering that this system also used separate chips for audio and video it flat out screamed as to performance!
Attachment:
atari st.jpg
atari st.jpg [ 9.04 KiB | Viewed 6969 times ]

Here is an example of what it could do on a still image in 1985... Or at least as advertised. I cannot say for fact that this is an actual image off of a screen.
Attachment:
Atari graphics.jpg
Atari graphics.jpg [ 25.39 KiB | Viewed 6969 times ]

I have the Atari 800 emulator working but it is an involved process. I will add shots to this thread as to progress if this thread gets responses. The next step will be to add an Atari ST emulator.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:21 am 

OK.... I have the Atari version of DOS working properly. While the date shows 1984 the original release was 1979. Even at this early time it was menu driven.

Of course I'm still just setting things up but the following shows that the B.A.S.I.C. Language "cartridge" is working. Of course we MUST have "Hello World!". ;)

I am finding this rather fun although frustrating. Of course the 'fun' is memories and the frustration is that the interface with the emulator is rather ... odd.

It must be remembered that this was a "geek's" system for the time. On the DOS screen the left side is as simple as this system gets. The right side is more advanced. Take the binary stuff; it was the early stage of disk imaging. The "Create Mem Save" would equate to hibernate on today's systems if used correctly. Of course this form of hibernate was VERY crude but it DID work. This is one case of where the "Run at address" option comes in hand. You would load the binary save and then use run at address. In such usage the 'run at address' value would be constant.

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing