Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:45 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Sad day in Sheridan Wyoming as a cop was murdered yesterday. Things like this just don't happen in this small town. The officer was just delivering a trespass warrant and the person pulled a gun and blew him away. The officer didn't even have enough time to open his holster. Should there have been a backup officer? Possibly but this was just a trespass thing and, as quick as it went down, backup probably would have just resulted in two dead cops.

After a day the perpetrator is still barricaded in the house and firing on officers. Since there is even a SWAT task force from Cheyenne Wyoming apparently involved and they still can't get him out of the house one would have to assume that he is heavily armed. It has also come out that the person is also a Meth addict. Adding up the Meth aspect, along with apparently being heavily armed, I suspect that when it all comes out the house will be shown to be a Meth lab.

Ya, a sad day for my town but it is even worse. This officer was just married to another cop in 2021 and they just had their first child. A VERY sad situation. Call me cold if you want but I truly hope that this person does not come out of the house alive. :(

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:02 pm 
Site Admin

That is indeed very sad. :-(

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:17 pm 

sboots wrote:
That is indeed very sad. :-(

I think that you know that I am not a coldhearted person but I am relieved to see that Wyoming still enforces the death penalty if this person comes out of the house alive.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:27 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I think that you know that I am not a coldhearted person but I am relieved to see that Wyoming still enforces the death penalty if this person comes out of the house alive.

I'm against the death penalty simply because too many people have been sentenced to death in the past that have subsequently had their convictions over-turned, or ruled unlawful etc.
i.e. Death means death and once they are gone they are gone, no matter how much we might wish that sentence could be over-turned when (and if) further evidence comes to light, once it's served they are never coming back.

That said, it is hard to argue against such a penalty when there are people among us who appear to be pure evil.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:57 pm 
Site Admin

I'm also against the death penalty for the same reason. And agree that it is hard to argue against it when someone is clearly guilty. Another consideration is the cost. Various studies over the years have determined that the costs associated with a death penalty is at least double that of life imprisonment. The bigger factor, in my opinion, is that carrying out an execution is final. And that means that there is no recourse if the person was in fact innocent. It seems to me that life imprisonment is sufficient punishment and protects society from further harm.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:28 pm 

Oh, to be honest I'm not really an advocate of capital punishment, just really ticked off at the situation. Anyway it is over as the perpetrator was shot and killed while trying to flee the house he was barricaded in.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:34 pm 
Site Admin

Understood, Jay. It really bothers me when things like this happen, too.

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion