Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:35 pm 
welcoming committee

Thought you might get a kick out of this video, traditionally hogmanay (New Years eve) has always been a huge celebration in Scotland, we even forego the Easter Monday holiday that England and the rest of the UK have so we can extend our New Year holiday celebrations to include 2nd January.

It was estimated that 20,000 people would take part in the torchlight parade this year, which when you factor in the numbers in the crowds lining the route as well that's a huge turnout for a City of only 550,000, bearing in mind this isn't even tourist season so while there will be a fair few tourists in the crowds, most are likely locals.

Edinburgh Hogmanay begins with the Torchlight parade 2023
https://youtu.be/on01lVlFE78?si=7jdw820CkcdtEGFf

As an aside, can't help wondering if the 'vikings' in the procession are from Shetland?
The 'Up Helly Aa' website doesn't mention if they took part, but then why would it when that website is specific to that Shetland tradition?

About Up Helly Aa
https://www.uphellyaa.org/about-up-helly-aa/

Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:10 am 
Site Admin

What an awesome tradition! I can't imagine anything like that happening this side of the pond without some groups turning it into a platform for their cause and/or some serious incidents involving flames and fire!

Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:12 pm 
welcoming committee

I wasn't going to say any more on this parade but i've since found out the 'vikings' were indeed from Shetland and also i found this other video from another YouTuber who filmed it from a different perspective... imo it's incredible because if you know Edinburgh then you'll know the route and how amazing it must have been to witness it... for me George IV Bridge at 9 minutes through to 14 minutes almost had my jaw on the floor!
How long the procession was is still a mystery but too see George IV Bridge like that must have been amazing :D

Edinburgh Torchlight Procession 2023 - The Massed Pipes & Drums
https://youtu.be/GHmHVSVxuMg?si=4OMYMyG_pmBgh2Fv

Last edited by Doddie on Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:24 pm 
welcoming committee

I should have added that this is not a military parade so don't expect that lever of precision :wink:

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:49 am 
Site Admin

Amazing! :-) Love it!

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:09 pm 
welcoming committee

Happy New Year everyone!

I had intended to post that on New Years Day but for the first time since Hogmanay (New Years Eve) 2019 i celebrated Hogmanay... in reality that means i went over the top! :rofl2:
I didn't go out or anything but it was a hell of a lot of fun.... a cooking channel (husband and wife team) that i've subscribed to on YouTube for a couple of years decided to go live on YouTube at about 8pm UK time and it somehow turned into a global New Year celebration, no idea what time it was in the US but they're from the Mississippi/Louisiana area and well, lets just say that what i thought would only be a stream lasting a couple of hours turned out to include midnight in Europe, then the UK, then various time zones in the US... as well as with people from other parts of the world such as Australia etc who had already seen in the new year.
The banter was so much fun and included the not so often seen husband playing guitar and singing... i was amazed how good he was!
By the time the stream ended it was now 7am in the UK and i was completely wasted, slept all day yesterday until 6pm and woke up to the hangover from hell and a not very impressed wife! :rofl2:

@Steve Thought you might like this video for a bit more on the background about how the traditions of Hogmanay in Edinburgh, and Scotland were celebrated, and why.
Like me, he was born in 1964 so i can vouch for everything he says, it's exactly as i remember it being as a child in the 60's, and beyond.

Note, he has quite a broad Scots accent, and uses a lot of Scots words, so you might want to consider turning on the subtitles... i didn't need them but i turned them on to make sure the subtitles were accurate... which, to my surprise are remarkably accurate.

New Year from a Scottish Point of View
https://youtu.be/Z88jF2mZhzs?si=O7VYu3nF3_aDqTPA

Anyway i'm rambling now, lang may yer lum reek :D

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:34 pm 
Site Admin

Happy New Year to you, Doddie! Thanks for sharing that video. I did pretty good without the subtitles until he interviewed the old couple in the museum -- I had to turn on CC to understand it all. :-) Some great traditions, albeit quite a few fading away it seems.

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion