Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion

Post subject: Sigh, only me...
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:15 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Apparently a little 'peeper frog' hitched a ride on my sweat pants and now is in my apartment. This was yesterday evening and I have not been able to catch the danged little beastie to put back outside. Twice yesterday evening I actually saw it in my aquarium but as soon as I opened the lid it jumped and was gone. These little beasties are just so small and quick they are hard to catch as they can get in to spaces you can't.

If the danged little critter would sit down and sign a sub lease it could use my aquarium as much as it wants as long as it pays rent on time. Ya the situation is pretty funny but if not already dead it will die soon from drying out or starvation. Its death would not affect my apartment as they just dry up and mummify with no smell or anything. I'm just a critter lover and would much rather catch it and return to where it belongs.
:froggie:

Post subject: Re: Sigh, only me...
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:57 am 
Site Admin

:shock:

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:12 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Apparently a little 'peeper frog' hitched a ride on my sweat pants and now is in my apartment.

This reminds me of an incident i went through in the zoo i worked in pre-covid, i can share it now because i no longer work there.

I went in for a nightshift once and there were weird noises coming from behind the cupboards under the 'information' desk where my workstation was, odd scratchings and murmurs... at first i thought it was in my head but i reported it to the visitor services manager and a couple of days later she came back to me telling me that her day staff were also saying there was something in that area... joiners and electricians were called down to have a look to see if they could find out what it was but because they'd have had to dismantle the whole area to get behind the cupboards a decision was made not to dismantle the whole information desk... on speaking to the joiner and electrician i don't believe they believed there was anything there lol

A couple of nights later i was sitting with my feet up on the desk watching the CCTV and nearly fell off my chair... a grey squirrel appeared and as soon as i moved it ran back behind the cupboard! LOL

The poor thing must have been starving and so dehydrated but this went on for another few nights until it must have decided it was now or never... i was by now in the habit of leaving all the building doors open on the zoo side in the hope it would make a run for it, no amount of trying to coax it out helped (laying a food trail etc)... and sure enough it eventually appeared, looked right at me, and made a hasty exit out the building!

I don't know which of us was more relieved, me because i didn't have to listen to it not really knowing what it was, or the squirrel because it got it's freedom! :shock: :rofl2:

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:39 pm 

Squirrels are odd critters. ;)

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:26 pm 
welcoming committee

Your grey squirrels are indeed odd creatures, the native red squirrels Scotland used too have were far more relaxed and laid back :lol:

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:57 pm 

The house I rented in Florida had squirrels of which a few were almost pets. The back screen door had a screen that was torn and I never fixed to give these 'pet' squirrels access when they wanted. One would come in and jump on my roomie's legs wanting to know where its peanut was. My black lab was disgusted by this and would have a look on his face like "why do I have to put up with this" but he knew the beastie was part of the family and never bothered it. Also had a small cat that also knew the squirrels were family and wouldn't bother. In fact one day I heard a ruckus in the back yard. I went out and this small cat was faced off against another cat twice her size protecting one of the squirrels.

Critters can be VERY strange people. :mrgreen: :rofl2: Then there was the horned owl, osprey opossum and racoon that hung around the yard. That yard is about the only thing I miss about Florida. Oh, and the red tail hawk and doves... Roomie would feed the doves and the doves fed the hawk. LOL! My yard was like a zoo and I loved it. It was sort of weird but there were beasties that should have torn each other up yet they all got along. It was sort of like they all knew the yard was a safe refuge.

Actually here is the main squirrel that would come in the house for peanuts. She was just called 'Mamma Squirrel' as she was the matriarch of the bunch. When it comes to photos the following is not good as it is all blown out as to light but sometimes bad can be good. I REALLY like this shot!

Attachment:
beerme6.jpg
beerme6.jpg [ 603.62 KiB | Viewed 414 times ]

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:05 am 
welcoming committee

A native Scottish red squirrel looking at Jaylach as if too say... in what way is that grey thing cute? LOL

Attachments:
IMG_0080 - Copy - Copy.JPG
IMG_0080 - Copy - Copy.JPG [ 66.77 KiB | Viewed 414 times ]

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion