Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion

Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:35 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Just kidding as I have no actual intention of doing a class action but there IS something that bugs me.

As I've said before I don't carry a cell phone. Now I see promotions from a food place that I won't name that offers a deal to buy one sub sandwich and get one free but the order has to be through their mobile app. Could not argument be made that this is discrimination?

Actually I DO have a 7 inch tablet that I haven't used in years that I might fire up to see if it will install such apps. There is also an emulator (can't off hand remember the name) that will run Android apps on a Windows PC. Just may look at these options as it seems to be becoming a 'thing' for outfits to offer discounts if ordering is done through their app.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:43 pm 
welcoming committee

Not much different than if I want to purchase from Amazon....I must do so online. Same with some other retailers...products must be purchased online. Similarly, some stores offer cheaper prices on some products if you purchase online.

So unless you have a computer, smartphone, tablet, etc., you are SOL.

Is Bluestacks the emulator you have in mind?

Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:51 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
As I've said before I don't carry a cell phone. Now I see promotions from a food place that I won't name that offers a deal to buy one sub sandwich and get one free but the order has to be through their mobile app. Could not argument be made that this is discrimination?

I'm not sure it can be classified as discrimination but it's certainly morally wrong and hurting those most in need.

e.g. Anyone who is homeless through no fault of their own will almost certainly have no access to a mobile phone or the internet, resulting in the most in need of cheaper prices etc being cut off from them, and that's wrong in my opinion.

In the UK nearly all the major food retaillers (Tesco, Asda etc) have schemes like those you mention Jay, i've just looked at the retailler website i buy from every month and there is no mention anywhere in their T&C's to join their 'scheme(s)' if you don't own a mobile phone or have access to the internet, which is quite shocking considering all the supermarkets were in parliament this week tripping over themselves trying to say they were pushing cheaper prices via their discount schemes etc during the current "cost of living crisis", so they weren't being seen to be price gouging.

I hope the parliamentary committee didn't fall for the corporate speak and greed, time will tell.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:03 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
bbarry wrote:
Is Bluestacks the emulator you have in mind?

I believe that's the one. Had it installed once but can't remember why or why I got rid of it.

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion