Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:56 am 
welcoming committee

We didn't have A/C until I reached junior high.....but our house was a well-insulated stucco house. And we had what was called an attic fan that sucked in the cool night air, so the house was very livable. My first car (Nash Rambler) did not have A/C, and neither did my second one (Dodge). But in the Dodge I had one of those after-market units installed that hung down from the dash.....it kept the front seat passengers cool, but not so much those in the rear seat.

I worked in Utah the summer after I graduated from college. Then in late-August when it was time to return to college for my graduate degree, my wife, daughter and I loaded everything we had in a U-haul trailer being pulled by the Dodge. But in the afternoon, the car began to heat up under the load. So we stopped and killed a couple of hours inside a cool bowling ally. When it began to cool outside, we resumed the trip. That's when I decided to drive all night while it was cooler. I could do that when I was younger, but not these days. Age has a way of presenting a new perspective on life, lol.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:19 am 

Just brought my weather app up and this is what it shows at the moment.

Attachment:
Weather2.PNG
Weather2.PNG [ 405.95 KiB | Viewed 1956 times ]

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:02 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Nice temperatures Joan. :)

My first A/C was in the house I bought on Ohio in 1976 and that was just a window unit in my bedroom. It was fine though as I was close enough to Lake Erie that I could see it from the upstairs windows and almost always had a decent breeze off of the lake.

<edit>
I just let my bird from 'heck' out of his cage a little while ago and he is on the window sill. LOL! I closed my bedroom door and turned off my living room ceiling fan as I really don't want to see a puff of feathers when he flies into a fan. He just seems SO happy to be out and keeps looking at me and softly chirping. It is like he is saying "Thanks dad". :)

How could I take the following away from the critter by having had a window A/C unit put in?

Attachment:
IMG_2074.JPG
IMG_2074.JPG [ 735.05 KiB | Viewed 1963 times ]

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:33 pm 

Stupid critter is having a blast! Now he is re-arranging my wall photos. Still straight in the following image but now tilted. Actually my pics are pretty balanced and will usually straighten out after he gets off.

Attachment:
IMG_2076.JPG
IMG_2076.JPG [ 615.3 KiB | Viewed 1955 times ]

Post Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:15 am 
Site Admin

:-D

Post Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:36 am 

You say nice temperatures Jay, to me they are a bit on the cool side I want it hotter. :(

You definitely can't take that view away from him, he looks as if he's having the time of his life. He certainly looks in good condition, is he talking to you yet?

Post Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:04 pm 

He will probably never talk Joan. If they are taught to whistle before talking they will almost never talk. I have no idea as to why but it is a fact.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:33 am 

I'd not heard that about them, the one we had just whistled but we didn't have it from young. Hubby was taking the lurchers for a walk on the beach and the dogs found him among the rocks, he had a damaged wing and if they hadn't found him he would have been washed away by the incoming tide.

We had him for a few years and he would try to fly but couldn't properly, there were a couple of times we'd had to fish him out of the kitchen sink when it was full of water and crockery. :rofl2:

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:41 pm 

jaylach wrote:
So why would I possibly be in trouble? I just contacted the DAV (Disabled American Veterans) describing the issue. The DAV is different than the VA as the VA is a government origination while the DAV is totally independent and totally staffed by volunteers. Actually I have used the DAV one other time when I was put on medical retirement from the Navy back in 1973. The Navy tried to drop me a pay grade in relation to my retirement and the DAV stepped in and took charge. The result was that I was not lowered a pay grade. I have a lifetime membership with the DAV.

The DAV called today with a potential solution but I told them to not take action as the apartments DID put in the A/C units and, now, seem to be trying to resolve the issue.

Their solution was something that I never thought of. They would contact the Attorney General's Office on my behalf. If apartment management falls down again that option is still open. ;)

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion