Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion

Post subject: Another new toy... ;)
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:07 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
One thing that I do not like about my apartment is that the sound proofing is terrible and I like to watch some movies at high volume. Now I DO have a nice surround sound headset that I can use but then I can't hear someone knocking on my door. So this causes as an issue.

Here is my hopeful solution, a lighted doorbell that is totally wireless except that the receiver does plug into an electrical outlet. This will let me use my headset at enough volume to damage my ears while still allowing me to know if someone is at the door. :mrgreen: Looks like it might be a good $15.00 solution ($21.00 with shipping)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R5FFDLZ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1

LOL! I DO like my toys! :ugeek:

Post Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:24 pm 
Site Admin

It sure sounds like a good solution to me. ;-)

Post Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:19 pm 

sboots wrote:
It sure sounds like a good solution to me. ;-)

I hope so Steve. :) It just takes away from a movie when you can't pump the volume to where you want without worrying about bothering other people.

Should get it in about a week.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:05 am 

As an add-on my headset isn't really all that loud. My main Yamaha sound system would blow the headset through the wall as to volume. The thing is that the headset dampens outside sound so it appears much louder than it actually is. I tried the headset tonight with the movie Avatar and was quite happy. ;)

I think the main point with a video is hearing nothing else. Even a lower volume, with no outside sound distractions, gives a better experience than higher volume that has non-associated sound. It is like tonight while playing with the headset while watching Avatar. My bird, Terabit, was sounding off but, with the headset, I never heard the bird. I just heard very intense audio. :)

Still looking but I wish I could find a way to have both my main sound and my headset active at the same time. Right now it is either or. I have to select which audio I want to use through the Control Panel Sound Applet. Not a really big issue as I have the sound applet pinned to my Start Menu so it is a matter of a few seconds to switch between the two. I THINK that this MAY be due to the headset being USB instead of a 1/8 plug-in.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:36 am 
welcoming committee

Jay, I've had and used a similar wireless doorbell for years. My dogs go berserk when they hear a doorbell, so I run it in the silent mode and look for the blinking light.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:58 pm 

The bell arrived today. It's actually kind of cool. Just need to figure out where I'm going to put it so I can see it while watching a movie with my headset on, probably on my entertainment center.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:58 pm 
welcoming committee

Velcro it to the top of your primary TV, where your are always looking at it when watching a movie. That's what I did with a small light that looks down on my iMac keyboard.

Just curious....why are some of your recent postings so wide? This one covers twice my screen width.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:00 pm 

Nope on putting it on top of the TV. I think that it will probably end up under the TV between the TV and my Yamaha sound system on which the TV sits.

bbarry wrote:
Just curious....why are some of your recent postings so wide? This one covers twice my screen width.

I don't see this in Firefox at all. It MAY be specific to your browser. OK, I just checked this thread in Edge and Vivaldi and saw what you see. It seems to involve links posted. Firefox will do a 'word wrap' on a long line such as a link. Apparently Edge and Vivaldi will not do so. Sigh, now this makes me have to decide if I should go back to truncated long links or just deal with it. :( I like a full URL being shown but I DON'T like a page being stretched. If it were just Vivaldi, if memory serves that is your browser, I'd say to deal with it as Vivaldi is not all that widely used. Since it also involves Edge I sort of have to consider truncating. It boils down to the fact that both Edge and Vivaldi use the Chrome rendering engine while Firefox does not. It boils down to the Chrome engine not complying to established standards set out by https://www.w3.org/ which sets the standards for web programming and browsers.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:08 am 

BB asked the question I was wondering about the sudden width problem and your posts Jay. I use the new Edge browser on this laptop running version 2004 Windows 10, and I see it's happening with this post I've typing.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:35 am 
Site Admin

I figured that it was due to the long links not wrapping in Edge. ;-)
I'm fine with needing to scroll right once in a while, but also fine with shortened links. I'll leave that up to you.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:55 am 
welcoming committee

They don't wrap in Vivaldi either. I vote for shorter links, but an occasional loooooooooong one is doable.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:57 am 

My gripe with truncated links is that I like the user to be able to see exactly where they are going. Still, that can be seen in the status bar.

<edit>
Hmmm, I just deleted my post with the long links since it was not needed for the topic and there is still a horizontal scrollbar in Edge unless full screen. Vivaldi seems OK.

Having trouble finding the hack I did to not truncate links. May take a while to find... Using the [url] BBCode would solve the problem anyway.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:16 pm 

Well I have the 'bell' mounted with Velcro next to the screen I usually watch movies. The bell is on but only showing one color. It cycles through colors for as long as the 'audio ring' lasts. Sort of a funny thing with the audio and lights... There are around 30 audio rings. In another thread I was talking about nostalgic computer movies especially one named Electronic Dreams. It so happens that one of the audio rings is a clip of the first song that the computer in the movie played with the female star that played a cello. With the electronic sound of the bell music and the light cycling it is about perfect and is where it is set. :mrgreen:

LOL! Next question is if I paint the front of the bell unit black to better blend in...... ;) I think that I just may do so.

Attachment:
doorbell1.jpg
doorbell1.jpg [ 89 KiB | Viewed 3004 times ]

Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:25 pm 
welcoming committee

Yea, if you paint the front black and then wear your headset, you won't be at all bothered by guests ringing your doorbell. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:59 pm 

bbarry wrote:
Yea, if you paint the front black and then wear your headset, you won't be at all bothered by guests ringing your doorbell. :mrgreen:

LOL! :rofl2: I meant just painting the white part black, not the circular light in the middle. ;)

I just got done mounting the push button outside my door. It all is working just fine. Sigh, sometimes I think I'm a bit overly finicky. I actually used a level to make sure the button unit outside the door was as straight as possible. ;) I also checked with management to make sure I was OK to use screws to mount instead of a sticky patch. I was told to go ahead. :)

This is how I positioned the push button. The apartment number is about eye level and I figured that someone looking for me would be looking for the unit number. The ringer even lets you know it has been pressed by glowing blue around the edges. Will have to see how long it lasts but seems pretty decent for ~$21.00 including shipping. :)
Attachment:
IMG_2065.JPG
IMG_2065.JPG [ 448.35 KiB | Viewed 3003 times ]

Post Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:32 pm 
welcoming committee

I'd leave the doorbell as it is, it looks good to me, if visitors don't know what it is you probably wouldn't want to open the door anyway! LOL

Got to take my hat off to you for thinking about your neighbours, my downstairs neighbour was unbelievable during the height of lockdown!

I can only presume he saw the early videos of the Italians playing musical instruments on their balconies in Rome or something and he thought he was doing the same?... he was night and day playing music and movies at unbearable levels for months :evil:
During the clap for NHS events on Thusday nights he went out onto his balcony and turned into a rabid animal banging and shouting like he was mad! LOL

It got so bad that i put an anonymous letter through his door asking him to remember that people were still working from home during the day and/or working night shifts, including key workers... suggesting he wear headphones.

Needless to say my car got egged, i have no evidence that was him but 2+2= ?

Anyways, he stopped for a week or so but started again, this time even worse.... the vibrations through our floor from the noise was ridiculous, even the pictures on our walls needed straightened every day!

I was one step away from calling the authorities but thankfully didn't need to go that far, after i contacted his landlord he stopped.
(Under normal circumstances i'd have been banging on his door and ranting at him, but because of lockdown and social distancing measures that wasn't possible... it was a close call that that didn't happen! LOL)

The odd thing about him is he's actually a really nice guy who i have a chat with every time i see him... perhaps he was having some sort of mental meltdown from being locked in for so long, i don't know? But the fact is he really shouldn't have been so selfish... anyway, that appears to be water under the bridge now so best to let it lie... more so now that we had a chat in passing about nothing a couple of days ago and everything appears to be good.

Doorbells and mad neighbours, never thought i'd ever post about that in the same post anywhere on the internet, strange times we live in! :rofl2:

Post Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:33 pm 

I wasn't talking about painting the bell but, rather, the inside unit as shown in the image included 4 posts back.

Doing my first real headset test with the movie Avatar and it is pretty impressive. :) I MAY even consider getting a better set for this. :mrgreen: I thought that the one I have was surround sound but seems to not be so. Bass is VERY good but just seems to lack a bit... I have an eight year old Microsoft Life Chat headset. It is still decent but I think that I want better for this purpose. ;) LOL! I'll be in the market. ;) I MAY even think about going wireless. The current wired is working fine as long as I'm sitting on my couch but have to pause the video if I go anywhere else in my apartment and don't want to miss audio as I have to remove the headset.

Glad to hear that things seemed to work out with your neighbor in the end.

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion