Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » System Recovery

Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:23 am 

OK this is going to be a long post but I want to give as much info as possible. I have had no input with this machine as it's what he uses for the accounts of a business he does the accounts for, they bought it for him years ago as it came with 7 I think and was upgraded without problems to 10. He's never had any discs for the machine or taken backups.

Tuesday evening hubby came into the living room and asked me to go and turn his laptop off, why, he said he couldn't, I didn't go straight away to look but when I did it showed the screen that it was downloading and installing updates and was at 2% don't turn off your computer and underneath it said that it would restart several times during the process. My reaction was that it must be doing an upgrade download so we left it doing it's thing and went to bed.

Next morning I didn't go and look at it didn't even think about it but later in the morning hubby comes in and says he can't do anything with it. When I asked him what he had done he said he’d gone in and it was at a black screen with just a couple of the lights showing and he turned the machine off at the outlet and then turned it back on and put it in a restart. The Toshiba logo flashed on and off the screen, too fast to see what buttons were listed at the bottom, he was then at a command prompt telling him no boot device insert boot disk and reboot. It did that a couple of times until the next time we pressed the power to off and then on again you got the quick flash of the Toshiba logo followed by a black screen with the Windows logo in the middle with the words underneath saying “Preparing Automatic Repair” and after a time went black and came back with the same screen but the wording underneath saying “Diagnosing your PC”

I’ve posted underneath what another poster in another forum had written which is what is happening to hubbys laptop but we can’t make it right as we don’t have several HDDs like the poster has and he fixed his by doing I think it was a parallel install using one of his other drives.
If I have to I can try to make an ISO DVD on another machine and I also have a 500GB portable hard drive that connects via USB I could use, at present it just has some files I’ve backed up from my laptop so I could delete them as I have everything imaged on my other portable drive that has 1TB of storage.

During the repair options below was uninstall feature update and another for uninstall quality updates and trying both of those did nothing and no change was made so at present he’s unplugged machine from power and put it in a corner.

Is there any hope for this machine or should we just forget it?
Sorry for this very long post.

--------------------------------

The first BSOD I get is:
Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you.
For more information, see https://windows.com/stopcode.

Preparing Automatic Repair

Diagnosing your PC

Then, the second BSOD I get is:
Automatic Repair
Your PC did not start correctly.Press "Restart" to restart...
[Restart] [Advanced Option]

Third BSOD:
Choose an option:
Continue (Restarts from the first entry above.)
Troubleshoot (I tried most options here.)
Turn off your PC (As it says.)

Obviously, I could not "Open the start menu and type “msconfig.”"

When I tried "Reset this PC", "Keep my files" results in the message "There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made."

I did not choose "Remove Everything".

When I tried a System Restore, despite having turned on System Restore previously, it said no restore to choose from.

Similar results were obtained when I tried to follow steps to resolve this problem

I have not idea what to do next.

Please help!
--------------------------------

Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:46 am 
Site Admin

Oh, how frustrating!
Since you aren't concerned about losing anything from the laptop, I think that a reasonable next step would be to see if you can do a clean install of Windows to the laptop with either the USB drive or a DVD.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:16 am 

sboots wrote:
Oh, how frustrating!
Since you aren't concerned about losing anything from the laptop, I think that a reasonable next step would be to see if you can do a clean install of Windows to the laptop with either the USB drive or a DVD.

Thanks Stephen, those were my thoughts, I'd probably make the ISO DVD on my desktop as my HP doesn't have a CD/DVD drive just one I bought to plug in via USB.

At the moment I'm sorting out my Asus for him, getting rid of stuff he wouldn't want etc. that is upgraded to the latest edition but it's only a 320GB drive, it has 52% free space available in the C: partition.

I've just got the problem of getting an email client set up for him as on his desktop and laptop he still uses Outlook Express but I'll sort that out. I just hope he wouldn't have any problems downloading and installing the payroll and accounting software onto it that he's been using and is Inland Revenue approved. :roll:

Wish me luck. :)

Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:46 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
As to the email client there is always Thunderbird. Also, if there are no more than 2 email address involved, eM Client is also free.

eM Client:
https://www.emclient.com/

Thunderbird:
https://www.thunderbird.net

Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:40 pm 
welcoming committee

This is a long shot Joan but try removing the battery from the laptop and power it up with only the mains supply connected.

It wouldn't be the first time a dying or faulty battery has caused issues in a laptop.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:50 pm 

It's OK Jay, I'll set it up in Outlook, I have Microsoft 365 or whatever it is you call the paid version of Office now. He does only have 2 email accounts one of which is his Microsoft account a Hotmail one and the other is a BT email account. Even though I have shared the Office sub with him so he can use it on his machines it's installed on the laptop I'm sorting out for him as that's the one I used before I got this HP.

Oh! just had a thought, as that machine was set up under my name is there anything I'd need to check so he'd be able to download the programs he needs to work?

Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:53 pm 

Doddie wrote:
This is a long shot Joan but try removing the battery from the laptop and power it up with only the mains supply connected.

It wouldn't be the first time a dying or faulty battery has caused issues in a laptop.

Thanks for the suggestion Doddie, I'd have to look up how to do that on the machine as it's obsolete so I'm not sure if there'd be anything about it on the Toshiba site.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:05 pm 
Site Admin

JoanA wrote:
Oh! just had a thought, as that machine was set up under my name is there anything I'd need to check so he'd be able to download the programs he needs to work?

Do you mean that the login on the PC is your user name? I would suggest creating a new user name with his Microsoft account as the login, assuming Windows 10, or a new local account for him on the PC if he would not be using the Store to download things and isn't interested in OneDrive or other sync behavior. If you leave your account as the Administrator, and his as a User, the PC would be safer when he used it. If the accounting software needs to have a user with admin rights, you would want to make his user and admin, of course, though it would be better as a Standard User.

How the PC was set up and has Windows registered shouldn't make a difference.

-steve

Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:13 pm 
welcoming committee

JoanA wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion Doddie, I'd have to look up how to do that on the machine as it's obsolete so I'm not sure if there'd be anything about it on the Toshiba site.

It should be easy enough Joan, turn the laptop upside down and it should quickly be apparent if the battery is removable or not...

The following Youtube video should cover most if not all older Toshiba laptops:
https://youtu.be/_t7Kn_luX-Y

Of course, knowing the model number of your Toshiba would help ;)

Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:18 pm 

Thanks Stephen, yes it's my Microsoft account to log on, although I can't remember if at some point of the set up it asks who will be using the machine and whether I said just me or everyone. The machine came with Windows 8 when new then went to 8.1.1 before being upgraded to Windows 10 and is now at version 2004.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:21 pm 

Doddie wrote:
JoanA wrote:

It should be easy enough Joan, turn the laptop upside down and it should quickly be apparent if the battery is removable or not...

The following Youtube video should cover most if not all older Toshiba laptops:
https://youtu.be/_t7Kn_luX-Y

Of course, knowing the model number of your Toshiba would help ;)

Thanks Doddie, I'll have a look at it tomorrow, I've hardly touched my own machine for my own work the last couple of days I've been so busy trying to find a solution that's easy for me to follow so I could if possible fix his machine and I'm trying to catch up and reduce my stress levels. :?

Board index » Technical Forums » System Recovery