Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:20 am 
welcoming committee

My System Backup and Restore has disappeared. When I open SB & R I get a blank window. The only new software that has been installed is Samsung Magician for the new Samsung SSD that I installed as my system drive. I have started my computer in safe mode with only MS services running but that didn’t bring SB & R back. I really would like to avoid uninstalling this maintenance software for the Samsung SSD if I can. Is there a value in the registry that I can look for and reset to get SB & R working again? Would running Win7 system repair from the disk cure the problem? This is my way of sitting with my hands in my lap and asking for your help before leaping into action impulsively.

Attachments:
File comment: Samsung Magician
Samsung Magician.PNG
Samsung Magician.PNG [ 169.06 KiB | Viewed 5306 times ]
File comment: This is what I see when I open Backup & Restore.
Backup and Restore Window.PNG [108.49 KiB]
Downloaded 98 times

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:46 am 
welcoming committee

I have resolved this issue with a simple call to Samsung. Apparently the Magician software disables Back & Restore when you run the OS Optimization feature. I was able to restart B & R in services. Learn something new "every" day. For future reference if anyone installs a Samsung SSD and uses the Magician software be aware that you will have to reset Windows Backup and Restore in the services window.

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:14 pm 

Thanks for letting us know the outcome Terry, I'm sure it will be helpful if anyone else finds themselves in the same situation.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:10 pm 
welcoming committee

Always happy to share a lesson learned. I took a chance by calling Samsung Support. They were courteous, knowledgeable and familiar with this issue. The SSD has been installed for about a week and is performing well. I have had good experiences with all my Samsung products, two flat panel TV's, my S4 cellphone and now this SSD.

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:40 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Hey, I'm glad that everything worked out but do have an issue....

Any install that turns off system backups has to go in my humble opinion.

I will admit ignorance as to the software involved with your SSD but do not care. If part of the install turns off backups their utility is gone, end of story. This is NOT acceptable!

Post Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:53 pm 
welcoming committee

Just make sure you DO NOT use the built in Windows defragger on the SSD, use your Magician program to keep it optimized.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:43 am 
welcoming committee

Jay I was told that the Magician software turned off B & R to limit extra I/O read and writes to the drive. As long as B & R can be turned back on I don't have an issue. If I couldn't do that then I would agree that the software would be uninstalled immediately.

Will do Dvair. I keep the defragging turned off for both of my SSDs. I know defragging an SSD isn't necessary and will shorten the life span. Basically a SSD is just a giant flash drive...like a thumb drive only more capacity and plugs directly to the MOBO.

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows