Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post subject: Lost my taskbar
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:00 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I really did. :dunno: This was on my Surface 3 on which I had Windows 11 installed via registry hacks to overcome lack of support for the system. I figured that the loss of the taskbar was due to a recent Windows 11 update so reverted back to Windows 10 and after doing updates I started losing the taskbar again.

I can get the taskbar back by booting to safe mode and then advanced startup options and doing a startup repair. Seems odd that the startup repair is needed since it reports that it was unable to do anything.

Since this started happening after recent Windows Updates I can only figure that an update is the cause. I did find several articles about losing the taskbar and it seems to normally involve having it set to auto hide which I have done. It has only been a day but the issue has not returned since disabling the auto hide.

I'll leave the Surface on Windows 10 as my new micro system is Windows 11 compliant which gives me a system to play with in relation to the OS.

Post subject: Re: Lost my taskbar
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:08 am 
Site Admin

That's an interesting problem. I don't autohide the taskbar, so haven't ever run into that.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:24 pm 

Steve, timing says it was an update but I also suspect the system itself. Out of all my systems the Surface is the weakest with an Atom CPU. Even the new micro system has a 4-core Celeron.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:55 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
This was on my Surface 3 on which I had Windows 11 installed via registry hacks to overcome lack of support for the system.

Jay, i was going to ask about installing Windows 11 on unsupported hardware a few weeks ago but i completely forgot about it, now you've mentioned it here i hope you don't mind me asking a few questions in this thread.

I'm still running Windows 7 and as you might recall i did have Windows 10 dual booted for a while but then something very strange happened to the dual boot, probably something i did and wasn't aware of doing due to my health at the time... anyway, as support for Windows 10 is due to reach end of life in Oct 2025 i'm now of the mind that i might as well skip Windows 10 if i can and go straight to Windows 11.

Is the hack you mention this one?:
Quote:
Warning:

Microsoft recommends against installing Windows 11 on a device that does not meet the Windows 11 minimum system requirements. If you choose to install Windows 11 on a device that does not meet these requirements, and you acknowledge and understand the risks, you can create the following registry key values and bypass the check for TPM 2.0 (at least TPM 1.2 is required) and the CPU family and model.

Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\MoSetup

Name: AllowUpgradesWithUnsupportedTPMOrCPU

Type: REG_DWORD

Value: 1

Note: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.
Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ways-to-install-windows-11-e0edbbfb-cfc5-4011-868b-2ce77ac7c70e

Secondly, I have 2 genuine Windows 10 licence keys. To install Windows 11 do i need to install Windows 10 first or can i skip that step and use the Windows 10 key on Windows 11?
Upgrading from Windows 10 to 11 isn't a big deal for me, i'd just prefer a clean install if i can.

Finally, this video i came across on YouTube seems to make sense but i'm not familiar with the "Rufus imaging software" he uses as one method to bypass the supported hardware checks so if you have any thoughts on that i'd be interested to know them...
Installing Windows 11 on Unsupported Hardware
https://youtu.be/UL_maCWM5bk

I have a spare 250GB SSD drive that i can't use because i've run out of Sata slots on the motherboard so i plan to pull all the other drives from the motherboard and use that SSD to play around and see what works and what doesn't when attempting to install Windows 11 before i let it, or Windows 10, anywhere near the SSD i'm currently using as my system drive.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:24 pm 

I don't know if a Windows 10 product key will work for directly for Windows 11 but, since one from Windows 7 does, I imagine that it will. At least when using a Windows 7 key you have to do a clean install selecting to NOT enter a key. Then you enter the key under the change product key option after Windows is installed.

Here is a link to all three registry hacks:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2723

We have already been through this in the linked thread where you seemed pretty determined to use third party software. Third party software is not needed.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:46 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
We have already been through this in the linked thread where you seemed pretty determined to use third party software. Third party software is not needed.

That is so weird, i have no recollection of that conversation at all but there it is :shock:
Please accept my apologies for the duplication :?

Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:48 pm 

No worries.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows