Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:52 pm 
welcoming committee

I added some sound files to Windows 8 to give that a try........maybe 50 or so songs. Then when I went to the first song in the list and clicked on it, it opened ok and keeps playing each song in succession down the list. I cannot find a way to close the song that is playing and click on another one. I also have the same problem when playing videos. There does not seem to be a way to go back or stop the video that is playing and go to another one.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:16 pm 
Site Admin

I assume that you are using the Music App from the Windows 8 tiles (formerly called the Metro interface). Click on the tile for the song or if the playlist is overlaying it, click the arrow to the left of the playlist to see the currently playing. In the large tile for "now playing" is a big pause button and a pair of arrows facing left and right. The right arrow goes to the next song.
The same behavior exist for videos.
In both apps, dragging up from the bottom or right click will bring up the controls along the bottom of the screen.
-steve

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:31 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
I assume that you are using the Music App from the Windows 8 tiles (formerly called the Metro interface). Click on the tile for the song or if the playlist is overlaying it, click the arrow to the left of the playlist to see the currently playing. In the large tile for "now playing" is a big pause button and a pair of arrows facing left and right. The right arrow goes to the next song.
The same behavior exist for videos.
In both apps, dragging up from the bottom or right click will bring up the controls along the bottom of the screen.
-steve

With your help, I got some of it worked out Steve. Since I am working off the desktop, I get two scenarios. With music, it works the same as Windows 7, you click on Libraries, then music, then when all the songs appear, you can click on whatever song you want to open and it opens in Windows Media Player and clicking on X, it stops the song and goes back to the songs list.

Working with Videos on the desktop is quite different, I click on Libraries, then Videos, and it automatically opens the metro interface. I can click on any video in the list shown on the app and it opens the selected video and plays. At the bottom of the screen I can bring up the controls just as you say and then I can click on Repeat, Previous, Pause, or Next. however, from this point on, it takes 9 clicks on "next" to get to get back to all the videos. It seems to walk through the video step by step before you get back to step one......... much like you would go through the scenes on a movie. This is a bit cumbersome and I am wondering if there is any way to watch videos that I have on my computer without it switching over to the App.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:01 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Set your video default to Media Player. You are using a 'preview' version of a Metro App.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:02 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Set your video default to Media Player. You are using a 'preview' version of a Metro App.

Great..........that worked !! Now I can open anything I want from the desk top and immediately close it if I want to look at something else. Also can click on the Video App and open it there if I want..... Thanks Jay

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:14 pm 

No problem. :)

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:27 pm 
welcoming committee

chadslink wrote:
jaylach wrote:

Great..........that worked !! Now I can open anything I want from the desk top and immediately close it if I want to look at something else. Also can click on the Video App and open it there if I want..... Thanks Jay

Now that you have been playing around with Win 8 and whatever it's interface name is - what do you think of it?

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:50 pm 
welcoming committee

Manny Carvalho wrote:
chadslink wrote:
jaylach wrote:

Now that you have been playing around with Win 8 and whatever it's interface name is - what do you think of it?

I have been playing around with it ever since they released the initial preview version and now that I have my start button back and the release preview 8400 installed, I find it much the same as Windows 7 Pro in that it boots directly to my desktop now. I was initially having some problems but I had it set on "auto update" and once the release preview updates installed, it loads Win 8 fast and everything seems to work ok.

My desktop looks basically like this: http://www.scottylive.com/starticons/

If you look close at the lower task bar, you can see that the icons are much smaller than I would like when browsing to on line sites so I would need a fix for that. I made a temporary fix of my own by making a web page with big buttons that I can read. If you click on that "big start button", you can see the larger icons that take me to the sites I visit the most. Computer Haven is the geek with the orange hair.

As for the Metro Apps, they all seem to work fine but it's just not my thing. Too much scrolling and too hard to get from one place to another on a PC. I'm sure this would be fine if you had some sort of hand held device and used your fingers to get from one place to the other.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:20 pm 
welcoming committee

So I guess my question really boils down to this - will you buy it?

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:23 pm 
welcoming committee

Manny Carvalho wrote:
So I guess my question really boils down to this - will you buy it?

No :smash1: I wont upgrade or buy.......may be forced to when it's all you can get.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:08 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks but by that time Win 10 should be around. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:01 am 

I will probably buy but just because I work on systems and should be hands on with the current OS. If not for that I would probably pass and may still do so.

The above said I have to admit that I hardly ever boot to Windows 7 any more, I am almost exclusively running Windows 8.

I will give a lot of credit to Windows 8 on boot times. From login to desktop is almost instant and hibernate to desktop is about half the time of Windows 7.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows