Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post subject: Windows 10 Pro Computer
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:27 pm 
welcoming committee

I am thinking of getting a Windows 10 Pro Computer and in the description it has the following notation:
Your computer will come with a legal Certificate of Authenticity (C. O. A. ) digitally rendered to the PC for an easy, secure and convenient set-up process. What does that mean?

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:30 am 
welcoming committee

It will have Windows license locked into the BIOS. If you ever have to do a clean install, it will automatically load the version of Windows (Home/Pro) that it came with.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:57 pm 
welcoming committee

dvair wrote:
It will have Windows license locked into the BIOS. If you ever have to do a clean install, it will automatically load the version of Windows (Home/Pro) that it came with.

Thanks dvair.....that looks like a good feature to have in case something goes wrong. There is no DVD along with the computer so what would I have to do to trigger the clean install?

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:28 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
There will either be a recovery partition that contains the Windows install or just make a flash drive Windows install media. To create the flash drive you would use the Windows media creation tool. Use the 'Create Windows 10 installation media' option from the following link. Run the download and select to 'Create installation media....'. Follow the prompts through until given the option of a USB or DVD drive. Select USB and follow through. I think the flash drive must be at least 8GB but MIGHT be 16GB.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10?d2784474-fdb0-4e9d-9e47-5e88c0e053ec=True

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:14 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Oh, to add on to my last post, if you needed the USB install media to install Windows clean you would likely need to go to your BIOS and change the boot order to put USB first.

If the system could still boot to Windows but was messed up you could just use 'Settings>Recovery>Reset this PC'.

Still the best solution is to have an image or clone backup that you can restore so all updates, apps and data are maintained. With a reset of the PC you can keep data but would need to re-install all apps. With a clean install you lose everything unless your data is on a different drive than Windows.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:21 pm 
welcoming committee

Usually with a premade computer you have the option of making a total recovery drive that will put it back into Factory new condition. Many times you will be given this option when you first turn on the computer during the setup phase.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:37 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
There will either be a recovery partition that contains the Windows install or just make a flash drive Windows install media. To create the flash drive you would use the Windows media creation tool. Use the 'Create Windows 10 installation media' option from the following link. Run the download and select to 'Create installation media....'. Follow the prompts through until given the option of a USB or DVD drive. Select USB and follow through. I think the flash drive must be at least 8GB but MIGHT be 16GB.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10?d2784474-fdb0-4e9d-9e47-5e88c0e053ec=True

Hi Jay, I had a look at that download and it was way over my head. I'm going to get the windows 10 pro computer and will revisit it after I see what happens when I open it.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:39 pm 
welcoming committee

dvair wrote:
Usually with a premade computer you have the option of making a total recovery drive that will put it back into Factory new condition. Many times you will be given this option when you first turn on the computer during the setup phase.

Hi dvair, I will have the Windows 10 Pro computer soon and hope that it allows me to make a total recovery drive when I turn it on.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows