Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post subject: Re: Windows Media Player
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:10 pm 
Site Admin

Aren't the 1000 showing in the Windows Media Player view of the Video Library the ones that you moved to the USB drive?

On the 17th you wrote: "5. I added one of the moved videos back to Library>Videos and I can Edit, Play, Delete, Move."

How did you add that video back to the Library on the 17th?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:55 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Hey Steve, look at the following article. Brute force may be the easiest route.
https://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Windows-Media-Player
I think I would go with Method #2 for a more complete reset.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:30 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
Aren't the 1000 showing in the Windows Media Player view of the Video Library the ones that you moved to the USB drive?

On the 17th you wrote: "5. I added one of the moved videos back to Library>Videos and I can Edit, Play, Delete, Move."

How did you add that video back to the Library on the 17th?

Thats another crazy part of what's going on Steve. I can add a video to the library, either a new one or one from the usb drive and it shows up in the Windows Media Player and I could edit, play delete, or move but as soon as I close the Window Media Player and go back, it's gone. Since there are so many files there, I gave the saved file a special name so that I could easily find it when I went back but all that showed was the 1000

Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:38 pm 
Site Admin

That's annoying, Allyson! It sure sounds to me like the database used by Windows Media Player is corrupted -- which we suspected due to your initial description of the problem. Since newly added videos disappear after an active session, that appears to confirm the suspicion. We were hoping that we could deal with the 1000 files that were moved and fix the database by restoring them, but that appears to be a no go.

Please have a look at the link Jay posted. I believe that a brute force reset of Windows Media Player is the way to go. Basically, we want to "nuke" the database and get it rebuilt to only include the files that actually exist in your Libraries. Note that either method in the article should work and won't affect the files themselves. I agree with Jay that method 2 is probably your best option for resetting it.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:18 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
That's annoying, Allyson! It sure sounds to me like the database used by Windows Media Player is corrupted -- which we suspected due to your initial description of the problem. Since newly added videos disappear after an active session, that appears to confirm the suspicion. We were hoping that we could deal with the 1000 files that were moved and fix the database by restoring them, but that appears to be a no go.

Please have a look at the link Jay posted. I believe that a brute force reset of Windows Media Player is the way to go. Basically, we want to "nuke" the database and get it rebuilt to only include the files that actually exist in your Libraries. Note that either method in the article should work and won't affect the files themselves. I agree with Jay that method 2 is probably your best option for resetting it.

Hi Steve......I will go with method 2. My Sister is here so I will have to postpone this for a couple of days. Hope you guys have a Merry Christmas and thanks much for all your help.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:56 pm 
Site Admin

Merry Christmas to you, too!

Post Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:51 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:

Hi Steve.....I went through the whole process of clicking on Media Features, this brought up the choice to unclick the windows media player. This also shut off the Windows Media Center and then it prompted a restart and shut down the computer and brought it back up. Then I did the process all over and checked the Windows Media Player and the Windows Media Center resetting them to their original status. Once the computer rebooted, I clicked on the Start Button and then all programs, then Windows Media Player.

When it opened the Player, it automatically displayed the same 1000 videos without any options to make any changes. When I clicked on Pictures, it opened a few scattered pics, the same with music.

Then I went to My Computer and on the left list of Desktop>Libraries>Videos......it brought up Documents, Pictures, Music, and Videos Folders with just a single click. From that point I was able to click on Videos and it opened all the videos on my "C" drive. I'm thinking now that the only fix for this is to do a clean install of Windows 7 Pro. Your thoughts?

Post Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:38 pm 
Site Admin

In your last paragraph, are you describing looking at your Libraries in Windows Explorer? Assuming that to be true, "all the videos on my C drive" means all of the videos that actually exist in the Library of videos -- the folder or folders you have defined as belonging to the Videos Library, yes?

I am pretty sure that I understood your last paragraph correctly and from your description of the steps that you undertook, it would appear that the "hammer" approach didn't resolve the Windows Media Player issue.

Before going with the sledge hammer solution of a clean Windows 7 install, you might want to try this:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-rebuild-the-windows-media-player-library/78311a7f-49a0-4b91-b993-eac16ee20e89?auth=1
If you are willing to go with a clean Windows 7 install, I don't see any major risks with following the steps in the Answer posted in that thread. Do make sure that you have important files backed up so that you can restore them if you do proceed with the clean install.

Alternatively, you may want to simply abandon Windows Media Player and use a different program to manage your media files.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:19 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
In your last paragraph, are you describing looking at your Libraries in Windows Explorer? Assuming that to be true, "all the videos on my C drive" means all of the videos that actually exist in the Library of videos -- the folder or folders you have defined as belonging to the Videos Library, yes?

I am pretty sure that I understood your last paragraph correctly and from your description of the steps that you undertook, it would appear that the "hammer" approach didn't resolve the Windows Media Player issue.

Before going with the sledge hammer solution of a clean Windows 7 install, you might want to try this:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-rebuild-the-windows-media-player-library/78311a7f-49a0-4b91-b993-eac16ee20e89?auth=1
If you are willing to go with a clean Windows 7 install, I don't see any major risks with following the steps in the Answer posted in that thread. Do make sure that you have important files backed up so that you can restore them if you do proceed with the clean install.

Alternatively, you may want to simply abandon Windows Media Player and use a different program to manage your media files.

Hi Steve......good news for a change. That link above deleted everything in the library so after working with it a bit, all the "C" drive videos now show in the windows media library with the ability to delete>rename>etc; and the old 1000 are gone......Thanks so much!!!

Allyson

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:58 am 
Site Admin

Hooray! Finally! Thanks for sticking with it and reporting back. :-)

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows