Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:27 pm 

For the past week I am trying to get into BIOS ( DEL ) or Display Boot Options ( F12 ) on my Acer Aspire M3450 desktop. After restarted the desktop I hold down the keys DEL or F12 and jump right into Windows 10 logo on the screen before login. I have no idea what happen with this? Is there a possibility to fix this so I can get into either one with tapping the keys after restarting the desktop.

Your help would be appreciated

John

Last edited by imcanadian on Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:34 pm 
welcoming committee

Found this

There are two ways to enter the UEFI (BIOS) on your computer. You can use either method listed below to enter the UEFI (BIOS) setup.

Method 1:
1.Press and hold the Power Button for 5 seconds to turn your computer completely off.
2.Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press the F2 key, or the DEL key if you have a desktop, to enter the BIOS.

Method 2:
1.Click the Start Start menu and select Settings.
2.Select Update and Security.
3.Click Recovery.
4.Under Advanced startup, click Restart now. The system will restart and show the Windows 10 boot menu.
5.Select Troubleshoot.
6.Choose Advanced options.
7.Select UEFI Firmware Settings.
8.Click Restart to restart the system and enter UEFI (BIOS)

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/de ... -uefi-bios

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:41 pm 
Fearless Leader

Here's another way:

If going through Settings seems too complicated, there's an even faster shortcut. From the Windows desktop, click Start, click Power, and then hold down Shift as you click Restart.

This is from Ed Bott's new article on the subject:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10 ... safe-mode/

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:09 pm 

Want to say to both of you who replied to my messages. And still no go as trying get into BIOS or Display Boot Options on my desktop. I am not sure what caused this problem.

John

Last edited by imcanadian on Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:39 pm 
welcoming committee

I just tried all three methods. All worked for me. Using method 1 Keep holding down the F2 key

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:06 pm 

Yes I did hold down the DEL key to get into BIOS or with F12 key into Display Boot Options but the desktop boot up normal with Windows 10 logo on the monitor screen before my login with password. It must be corrupted with this part but I am not sure what to look for to fix the problem. Also my desktop do not support UEFI settings.

John

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:39 pm 
welcoming committee

It's the F2 key not DEL Key. DEL key is for a desktop bios

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:22 pm 

Mine is Acer Aspire M3450 old gaming desktop not laptop. So I am using " DEL " for BIOS or F12 for Display Boot Options on my desktop.

John

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:52 pm 
welcoming committee

Ok Sorry Some reason I thought it was a laptop.

Acer
The most common keys to enter Setup on Acer hardware are F2 and Delete.
On older computers, try F1 or the key combination CTRL+ALT+ESC.

If your computer features an ACER BIOS, you can restore the BIOS to bootable settings by pressing and holding the F10 key. Once you hear two beeps, settings have been restored

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/enter-bios-computer/

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:28 pm 

Still can't get into F10 key to restore the BIOS to bootable settings by pressing and holding the F10 key. I guess that I could use the DVD of Windows 10 to repair the operating system of Windows 10 Home Premium 64X or any other suggestion to fix the problem.

John

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:38 pm 
Fearless Leader

John, you haven't told us what problem you are trying to fix.

Didn't you just have an issue with BIOS settings on another computer, a laptop, which you decided not to fix? What are you doing messing around with BIOS (or UEFI) settings for anyway?

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:32 am 

No this is the first time on my desktop with BIOS or Display Boot Options. Had no idea what caused this problem. All I am trying to see if there is a fix to get both BIOS and Display Boot Options working in my program of Windows 10 Home Premium 64X. Yes I remembered from before that I had a problem with my desktop to change the order of boot in BIOS. I wasn't sure how to change in order then two or three members including you helped me about change the order in boot menu. That was a little while ago. But this time had no idea what messed up this.

John

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:56 am 
Fearless Leader

OK. John, are you very quick in pressing the right keys? Timing is always an issue with doing it from startup.

Now when you choose the method from inside Windows, where you go to Settings\Update and Security, etc., you say you had no luck. What happened when you followed those instructions? Did you get the option to go into UEFI Settings? Was the setting missing? Was it grayed out? Did you click on it and then restart? What was the result?

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:26 pm 

Yes I did pressing the right keys very quick as soon as I click " Restart " and go right into the screen with Windows 10 logo to sign in password.

Now my desktop are not supported UEFI settings as mine is the Acer Aspire desktop. Here is the list what I did right after Settings\Update and Security, etc and at last look the 6 names on list in two columns with first 3 names and second with 3 names below:

System Restore
System Image Recovery
Startup Repair
Command Prompt
Startup Settings
Go back to the previous build

Nothing shown with UEFI settings

I am not sure which one to click above with the 6 names on the list to fix.

Thank you,

John

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:43 pm 
Fearless Leader

First, just tapping the hot keys once is often insufficient. Sometimes you just have to repeatedly tap the key. So try that.

As for the other option, on the menu you listed, I would try Startup Settings first, just because it is likely to be the least complicated, and might get you to your Boot Menu. If it does not, then try Startup Repair - but don't click anything on the menu that comes up by doing so. Just list out for me what the options are on that menu.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:41 pm 

Here is the list of Startup Settings that I wrote down and now below:

Startup Settings

Restart to change Windows options such as:

() Enable low-resolution video mode

() Enable debugging mode

() Enable boot logging

() Enable safe mode

() Disable driver signature enforcement

() Disable early-launch anti-malware protection

() Disable automatic restart on system failure

I did not touch anything yet so will wait to hear from you first before I go further with this part.

John

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:38 pm 
Fearless Leader

As I suspected, it is none of those. Oh well.

Do the same thing for Startup Repair. Give me the items on that menu. I suspect we're going to have to go 2 or 3 menus into this one to find the right item. :(

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:31 pm 
welcoming committee

I don't usually post potential 'fixes' unless I've suffered the same issue myself or they come from a reliable source (no offence intended to the op in the following link), that said your issue does sound very unusual so perhaps an unusual (and harmless) approach is required.. it may or may not work for you but it certainly can't hurt.

Over on the CNET Forums there's a thread where the following was marked as the answer... I don't believe you've tried this yet?
Quote:
As the PC boots up, just as the ASPIRE logo appears, press the ESC key once. Then you will see two new options at the bottom of the screen. They will appear for about 2 seconds. You must either press F12 to change the boot up device or DEL to enter the Bios. Good luck!

Some time later another user commented that this also worked for them:
Quote:
after hours of looking for a way to get into BIOS on my acer (F2 didn't work) this was the answer! I never did see the 2 options appear but I pressed F12 immediately after pressing escape, and then it brought up a menu from which I selected Windows boot manager.

Source: https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions ... os-564948/

As an aside, perhaps Patty or Jay can explain this to me... but I'm at a complete loss to understand why Windows 10 would have anything to do with accessing the BIOS on any type of PC or Laptop unless there's an elephant loose in the room... or a red herring swimming nearby that no-one has noticed yet ;)

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:07 pm 

For Doddie -- I want to say thank you for your message that you post here and I have seen this before through Google. So I thought why not try to give to see if that will solve this problem. Unfortunately doesn't help with this.

John

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:13 pm 

For Patty -- Here is what you want to know about " Startup Repair " OK here is below:

Startup Repair

Choose an account to continue.

John

Forgot your password or don't see your account?

That's it on the Startup Repair nothing else on this.

So I click " Cancel " to get out of Startup Repair then took me to continue to Windows 10. Will wait to hear from you again when you post your reply.

John

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:16 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Doddie wrote:
As an aside, perhaps Patty or Jay can explain this to me... but I'm at a complete loss to understand why Windows 10 would have anything to do with accessing the BIOS on any type of PC or Laptop unless there's an elephant loose in the room... or a red herring swimming nearby that no-one has noticed yet ;)

Windows cannot affect the access of the BIOS unless it is a UEFI (BIOS). If it is a UEFI (BIOS) holding down the shift key while restarting will bring up a menu that includes an option to open UEFI (BIOS) settings. This will not work with a legacy BIOS such as is on the system in question.

@ John: Just as a weird thought... Have you comfirmed that your delete key is functioning? Also your F12 key? Usually, if a keyboard develops an issue, it will affect more than one key.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:06 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Actually it seems that Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 can in fact affect the ability to enter the system BIOS. The culpret is the fast boot option which does not allow boot interuptions. Sadly entering the BIOS seems to be considered an interuption. I really don't understand this as the BIOS would be accessed before Windows even starts to load. It MAY be that it isn't actually Windows that prevents the interuption of entering the BIOS but rather Windows changes a BIOS setting or possibly the setting is manually set in the BIOS...

On the former ("I really don't understand this as the BIOS would be accessed before Windows even starts to load") that's my thoughts also... it makes no sense that the OS can control how the BIOS is accessed.

'Fastboot' as far as I'm aware has nothing to do with the BIOS, it's just a kind of shortcut that Windows deploys to give the impression that Windows loads faster... kind of like... 'Oh look, I've got a GUI within 20 (enter any number) seconds so my PC is loading really fast' but in reality the OS is still loading in the background so the end user really isn't any better off because everything is slow until the OS has fully initiated.

As for the latter, Windows being able to independently change anything in the BIOS, especially settings deployed during the POST process would be deeply disturbing for me and I'd drop it faster than you can type my username if that were true.

The security implications of an OS being able to write to the BIOS are mind boggling.

I prefer to think that the issue John is experiencing is his method of accessing the BIOS hence the alternate method I posted... it's either that or his BIOS may be corrupt, or worse, infected.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:29 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Ahhh, but Doddie, Windows has been able to write to the BIOS for years. Does not your mother board have a Windows utility to 'flash' the BIOS from within Windows?

I have to admit that the thought of an infection of the BIOS has crossed my mind but I would hope it to either be the method used to access or a messed up keyboard.

Patty and Chas have been MUCH more involved in this than either of us but, unless they do not agree, I'd like to see the CMOS battery removed and the BIOS reset. Of course this brings up the issue that any previous settings made within the BIOS, such as boot order, would be lost.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:52 pm 

Jaylach -- I decided to switch to another keyboard to see if that makes a difference. Still not!! And the other thing you wrote about remove the CMOS battery and the BIOS reset. IF I decided to take the battery out and put it back on the motherboard. The boot order will be lost but do I have to setup the BIOS order to run the desktop. Like for example with first boot -- CD/DVD then second boot with Solid State Drive with Windows 10 and third boot with hard drive for backup. Is that correct about the boot order lost. I am not going to do till Patty or Chas or someone else here in the forum say something about CMOS battery in their message.

John

Last edited by imcanadian on Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:04 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Ahhh, but Doddie, Windows has been able to write to the BIOS for years. Does not your mother board have a Windows utility to 'flash' the BIOS from within Windows?

No it hasn't, and yes it does... in any case if I'm not mistaken it mimics flashing the BIOS from <enter version and type of DOS> DOS using the motherboard manufacturers own modified versions of third party software to carry it out which isn't the same at all as Windows writing to the BIOS.

Windows as we know it today cannot on it's own perform a flash upgrade to the BIOS. It may look like it's doing it in real time but in practice it never does... it always needs the installation of the motherboard manufacturers software AND a reboot to make the changes because in reality Windows can't on it's own write to the BIOS... I'm no expert on how this works but it may be that it stores the data in memory or a temp file for execution via a script on bootup, much in the same way as doing a flash upgrade with a floppy did in the old days.

Last edited by Doddie on Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows