Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:16 pm 
welcoming committee

Today I started playing around with the data backup capability of File History on my Win 10 computer. And already two questions have arisen:

(1) I failed to check & understand all my user folders that were going to be backed up......way more than I want. So is there a way to delete everything and start over with File History, now that I know how to exclude and add folders?

(2) When I drill down to the Data folder, there are two subfolders: $OF and C. The C folder I understand, and I do indeed see a lot of my data files there....Documents, Favorites, Music, etc. But I don't understand the $OF folder. It contains several numbered folders (e.g., 221, 474, 8956); each of these numbered folders appear to contain either Internet Shortcuts or Photos. What is the purpose of this $OF folder?

Thanks for any education offered.......... :bow7:

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:26 am 
Fearless Leader

Bb, well I answered part of this on your other thread. As far as deleting and starting over, turn file history off, then go delete the File History folder. Then turn it on again and configure the folders you want backed up.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:52 am 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
Bb, well I answered part of this on your other thread. As far as deleting and starting over, turn file history off, then go delete the File History folder. Then turn it on again and configure the folders you want backed up.

Thanks, Patty. That is what I was prepared to do, but I was worried that Windows retained some of the backup configuration data on my C drive and that merely deleting the File History folder on my external drive would mess things up. But it's worth a try.

I did learn something about the File History settings. There are two ways of getting to File History: (1) One is to simply click on File History in Control Panel, but this does not readily reveal all the available options, and (2) The other way is via Settings>Update & Security>Backup

Method (2) seems to be the only way to get to the folders you want included and excluded, and this is done by then selecting More Options. I used Method (1) to turn File History on, and this is why I missed the list of all the folders to be backed up (many of which I don't want backed up). So that's why I want to start over.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:09 am 
Fearless Leader

Ok, Bb. Good to know about the location of those settings.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows