Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post subject: More music woes.
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:47 am 
welcoming committee

This originally was a long post detailing music woes after upgrading to 10. In short, after a few weeks of playing music suddenly none of the music apps I use could recognize the format or code of music files on my computer. Nor could it find the Sound Blaster USB sound card. Downloading and installing the Windows 10 drivers for the device solved everything, so that post has been erased and this one substituted.

Strange that it would work for a few weeks, then suddenly decide not to.

Oh well, after several hours of irritation my music is now back. Now if there was just some way to convince my printer to recognize its ink cartridges. That also became a problem after a few weeks of working well with Windows 10. I suspect it had something to do with downloading and installing Epson's Windows 10 drivers. Epson, of course, denies that could be the problem.

Last edited by DRam11 on Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: More music woes.
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:02 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
It is possible that the driver update may help. Pete has had this issue with 10 and audio. In his case Windows Updates installs a driver for sound that will not work.

My first guess on the printer would be that it is an issue within the printer. Are you re-filling your ink cartridges?

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:15 am 
welcoming committee

Holy Speed Batman!!! You are fast with the reply! I thought I was the only night owl up this late - we're in the same time zone. I'm in Lewistown, MT up north of you a way.

Yes, I've been using refillable cartridges for several years with no problems. Maybe it's just coincidence that the trouble started after installing updated drivers.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:17 am 
welcoming committee

I forgot to add: Goodnight. I'll check back later this morning.

Ron

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:27 am 

Just happened to get the post notification while watching the Cleveland Browns' game on NFL Game Pass...

I'm not saying that it can't be the driver for the printer. In fact you could test that by rolling back the driver under the device properties. I don't recall ever looking but would assume that Win 10 still has the ability to roll back drivers. You could also try this with your audio.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:22 am 

I use an Epson printer with my Windows 10 laptop, it's used wirelessly. I don't use re-fillable ink though instead using compatible inks which are cheaper than the Epson ones.

I always get told after changing a cartridge that it is not a genuine ink but I'm given the option to carry on using it, which I do, or not, in which case I'd have to buy Epson inks.

There has been no trouble with this method and worked before I did the upgrade from 8.1 to 10 in August.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:59 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks for the response. It's possible the printer was on the way out when Windows 10 was installed. However there have been reports of Epson Artisan 50 printers refusing to recognize cartridges, both genuine Epson and third party, after upgrading to Windows 10. My suspicion is that when the Epson drivers for 10 are installed they come with firmware upgrades also that fiddle with cartridge recognition. However the Epson tech I spoke was pretty certain there was no such upgrade, and that using third party cartridges had damaged the printer.

It's a moot point at present. The Epson is dead, and we're using our Canon printer.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:50 am 

I've always used compatible replacement ink with all my Epson printers and never had problems. I use JetTec replacements and my present printer, which 4 computers use 3 wirelessly, is an Epson Expression Home XP-312

Sorry to hear your printer died and of course the Epson tech would tell you that you'd broken the printer by using different ink, they want you to spend more money and use Epson ink after all.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:56 am 

I also use generic cartridges in my Canon printer. In a store my cartridges cost ~$16.00 each. For generic from http://suppliesoutlet.com I pay ~$5.00 each. I figure that if something did go wrong I've already saved nore on ink than I paid for the printer.

What is the status of your audio issue?

Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:29 pm 
welcoming committee

Happiness reigns - audio problem solved when 10 drivers from Creative were installed.

As for the printer, I'm going to try a set of generic cartridges and see if the problem resolves that way. If so, great. If not, guess it's time for a new printer. Maybe another Epson Artisan 50, it they put out very nice photo prints, which is its primary function here. And by the way, it's good to know others have had continuing success with generic cartridges.

Thanks for the support everyone.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:45 pm 

Good to hear about the audio. :) Let's hope that the drivers from Creative supersede the driver update that Windows 10 probably installed. If not Updates will install the driver again and you will have the same issue.

If you are going to try a generic set of in cartridges I really do recommend Supplies Outlet. You still may want to try rolling back the printer drivers in case their was an issue with the new set. If something works then does not right after a driver update the drivers have to be a suspect. Even if rolling back does not work you can always delete and install from the printer's install disk or download the latest Win 8.1/7 drivers that you know worked. However, if a driver pack included a firmware update, there is not much that I know of that can be done about that. It is possible that you could roll back the firmware by just going with an earlier version but my understanding is that it is not common to be able to revert to an earlier firmware. While I suppose it is possible to include a firmware update in a driver update package I have never seen it. Any time I wanted to update firmware I had to manually select to do so; it has always been a totally separate package.

Just remember for future reference to not fix what isn't broken. This does not apply to the audio issue as Windows Updates probably installed new drivers automatically causing the issue. However, if I read things right, your printer was working and an update was manually installed after which the printer does not work. I am a firm believer of NOT doing driver updates unless they relate to an issue I am having or add functionality that I do not have but want. While I rather like Win 10 this is the main point that I do NOT like. Windows should NOT automatically install drivers. There are just too many possible configurations possible with devices/hardware to force driver updates. It does strike as a bit strange that most of the forced driver updates that I see causing issues deal with audio. With the popularity of overclocking video cards I'd expect the issues to be in that arena.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:23 pm 
welcoming committee

I took the hint from your previous post and ordered cartridges from Supplies Outlet. They should be here in a day or two.

The Window 10 drivers from Epson were loaded because all the options (print speed, photo vs. text, etc. disappeared when windows 10 was installed. The options came back, as did printing on a CD, but, well that story has been told.

Your suggestion to roll back to the old drivers sounds good. I'll give it a try and report back.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:52 pm 

Another point that I follow with regards using compatible ink is that when changing for the first time you change all the cartridges at the same time. After that you are able to just change whichever colour runs out one at a time.

I can't remember where I read that info but I always do it and haven't had problems.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:15 pm 

That makes sense Joan and I did just that when I went to generic. It wasn't anything I read just all the cartridges were REALLY low. :mrgreen:

It would seem to me that it would be wise to change all in any case as I'm sure that it is not exactly the same ink that the OEM supplies. Mixing them could possibly cause oddities in color blending.

@ DRam11: Since you lost function ability on the printer you had every reason to try updated drivers. Did you upgrade to 10 from 8.1 or 7? The reason that I ask is that it MAY be good to try 8.1 drivers if you upgraded from 7 or 7 drivers if upgraded from 8.1.

Also, did you install just drivers for Win 10 or did you do the entire driver/software package if available? Not that I can really see this being a factor but I always figure that if given two choices and the first does not work you might as well try the second.

Actually I'm a little surprised that you like the Epson photo printing over the Canon. Of course a lot of that would depend on the series of each. My Canon is a Pixma series and I like the photo quality over an Epson Stylus. If you prefer the Epson I assume that you are using a Stylus unless they have a different photo printer now. The Pixma series by Canon is designed heavily toward photo printing to the point that it uses 5 cartridges; cyan, magenta, yellow with die and pigment based black. It also can use a grey cartridge in place of one of the blacks for very true grey scale printing.

If your Canon happens to be a Pixma series, and I am wrong about your Epson being a Stylus, I'd be interested in the series designation of your Epson. I do a LOT of photo printing and am always interested in better output. :)

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:58 pm 
welcoming committee

Joan: That's what I did when I started using refillable cartridges. Never a moment's trouble until now.

Jay: I went from the Vista drivers to 10, never had to upgrade to 8.1 drivers as the printer worked well with 8.1.

This afternoon I rolled back to the Vista drivers - now the computer cannot find the printer. Guess I'll put the Epson drivers for 10 back in and wait until the cartridges come in.

My Epson is an Artisan 50 that has a six cartridge system: yellow, light cyan , cyan, light magenta, magenta and black. I don't know if they are all dye or not. The Canon is a Pixma MX882. I've printed a few pictures with it and am impressed with the quality. We bought it mainly because ink was less for it than for the Epson, and because the Epson drank ink in prodigious amounts. Later, when my equipment was moved to another room in the house (yay, a room of my own) the Epson came out of the closet and third party cartridges and ink were ordered. One feature of the Epson I want is the ability to print on CD or DVD. I don't believe the Canon will do that, but then I've never really looked to see if it does.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:22 pm 

My Canon Pixma MG5320 will print to CD/DVD but, of course, needs the white printable disks.

Thanks for the info on the Epson Artisan series. The wide carriage Epson Stylus I use at work uses a bunch of cartridges, 10 I think. Just on the black it has 'photo black, light black and light light black'. It is also a 24 inch carriage that will also do canvas and poster board. LOL! I'd LOVE to have one in my apartment but isn't likely to happen. ;)

Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:31 pm 
welcoming committee

Update: The cartridges arrived this afternoon, were inserted and were not recognized. I took the printer down to my workshop, opened it up and found two of the four ribbon conductors from the cartridge box to the pc board hanging loose (picture below) They were reconnected but the cartridges were still not recognized.

Somewhere it was said that once a cartridge is removed it will not be recognized by the printer even if it is full. Even so, because the refillable cartridges have been removed and replaced frequently with no problem, I felt okay in removing all the cartridges after opening the printer to check the contacts in the print box. But maybe that is the problem. These aren't refillable, they are re-manufactured. Maybe there is a difference in how the printer recognizes them.

The battle is not yet over.

Attachments:
Printer-failure-web.jpg
Printer-failure-web.jpg [ 46.27 KiB | Viewed 12853 times ]

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:34 pm 

I would say that a disconnected cable would cause an issue. I am curious as to how that happened but doubt that the answer would be known. Little kids happen to have access to your system? :shock:

I have read that Epson is touchy about the chip on the cartridges but Supplies Outlook DOES guarantee their cartridges to work. You just might want to contact their support people and tell them that the cartridges are not recognized. They may be able to give some insight...

My next step with trying to save the Epson would be to physically disconnect the thing and uninstall any and all software/drivers involved with the device. I would then download the software/driver packages from Vista to 10. I would then install each package one at a time removing if not a success. I might even consider trying compatibility mode on the installers if none work from scratch.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:32 am 
welcoming committee

Looks like this is the end.

I contacted Epson about the ribbon cables hanging loose. They glossed over that and assured me that using third party cartridges had damaged the printer. They guaranteed that if genuine Epson cartridges were put in the printer would work. I'm skeptical. And, of course, they aren't going to provide the cartridges.

Supplies Outlet was great to work with. They sent the cold reset procedure to me and said if it didn't work they would send a new set of cartridges. The reset procedure didn't work. I have a strong suspicion that attempting to run the printer with cables disconnected has fouled up the software, so didn't take Supplies Outlet up on their offer. Perhaps I should. When I said no, the representative told me to call if I changed my mind and they'd get the paper work started. As said, they're a good outfit to work with.

The love of my life suggested I install the old drivers on her iMac and try the printer there. I'll do that, but at this point am quite pessimistic. It looks like a new printer may be in my future.

Thanks for all the time and suggestions given. You're a great bunch.

Ron

P.S. It'[s almost a 100% probability that you've all heard this but: Apple is rumored to be working on a self-driving car. Do you think it will have windows? Or, given Apple's veiw of Java, a cup holder?

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows