Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Security

Post Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:40 pm 
welcoming committee

My sister currently has Malwarebytes Premium installed on her old computer; this license expires on 23 March. She just purchased a new computer and a new Malwarebytes Premium license from Best Buy.

I am trying to install her new Malwarebytes on her new computer, but I can't create an account on her new computer because it says 'this user is already registered'.

What do I do to get Malwarebytes installed on her new computer while concurrently letting the license on her old computer expire? I don't want to co-mingle the two installations, because the old license expires next month and the new license is good for a year.

I asked this question of Malwarebytes Support, but as usual they seem only able to reference their FAQs, which don't address my issue.

Thanks in advance.......

Post Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:46 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
You would use the credentials from the old system to handle things on the new.

You could also just set up a new account on MBAM for the new system.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:10 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, I'm not sure what you mean by credentials. I assume you mean the user name and password that she originally used to register the program. In her case, she uses her email address as her user name.

The problem is that she only has the one email address, so like I said above, it won't let me create another account on the new system. When I try, it says "this user is already registered".

Her old computer currently resides in Georgia, where she uses it daily and needs MBAM until that license expires.

Her new computer resides in Arkansas, where I am getting everything set up for her.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:29 pm 

Go to another email provider even if not used for anything else. This will allow you to setup another MBAM account.

I'm surprised that you have problems with MBAM support as I had an issue with MBAM Premium renewal and they were totally helpful and solved the issue for me. Mayhaps there support has changed since then. :dunno:

Even with the current account, if you go to your/her account within the MBAM account it should show both accounts. You would then grab the key code for the subscription you want. Within MBAM you would go to Account Details and enter the key code to activate. Of course you would log in to the current account on the new system.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:48 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Go to another email provider even if not used for anything else. This will allow you to setup another MBAM account.
I thought about that, but then I don't want MBAM emails or notifications going to an email she will never use. That's not a good solution for her
I'm surprised that you have problems with MBAM support as I had an issue with MBAM Premium renewal and they were totally helpful and solved the issue for me. Mayhaps there support has changed since then. :dunno:
All I can say is that I submitted a ticket 2 days ago and have heard nothing; and now with the weekend approaching, I don't expect to hear anything until next week. That's why I asked the question on CH, since I need help sooner than later.
Even with the current account, if you go to your/her account within the MBAM account it should show both accounts. You would then grab the key code for the subscription you want. Within MBAM you would go to Account Details and enter the key code to activate. Of course you would log in to the current account on the new system.
Jay, I guess I am not making myself very clear. There is only one account...the one on her old computer. MBAM will not let me open a 2nd account on her new computer even though we just bought another 3-device license. Very frustrating, and going to another email provider is not the answer.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:56 pm 

I don't then know the answer. From my experience, even with one account, if I look I see all subscriptions listed including key codes for each.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:30 am 
welcoming committee

Well, I slept on it, got up this morning, and finally figured out how to do it. When I opened my sister's current account, there was an icon in upper right corner that said "register a license". I clicked on it, downloaded/installed MBAM to her new computer, entered her new license key, and then clicked on activate. After that, both accounts finally appeared....the old one expiring this March and the new one expiring on 15 February 2021.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:12 pm 

Good for you! :)

Post Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:31 pm 

Glad to hear you've got it figured out BB, I've never had any trouble with my installs of MBAM when getting new machines, mind you I have lifetime licences.

I know it's on all my 3 machines but can't remember if it's on hubby's machines without going to look and I've not got them turned on at present as he's in hospital but should be back home soon.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:28 pm 
welcoming committee

Joan, the problem was exacerbated by the fact that my sister wanted the Malwarebytes license to expire on her old machine while concurrently installing Malwarebytes on her new machine using a different license key.....all within the same account. It would probably have been an easy task for someone who knew what they were doing, but I kept running into roadblocks until I slept on it and tried a new approach this morning. All is well now...... :D

Post Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:54 pm 
Site Admin

Sleeping on it is often an excellent path to a solution. :-) Unfortunately, I often have a bad habit of continuing to frustrate myself in attempting to arrive at a solution *without* taking a break! :-D

Post Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:03 pm 
welcoming committee

Been there, done that, Steve!

When I was in graduate school, I would get so frustrated with some of my physics problems. I would try the same erroneous approaches, expecting different solutions. I would finally go to bed exhausted, only to wake up at 3:00am with the answer to the problem. So I would hop out of bed and write it all down, since I knew I would forget come morning.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:07 pm 

bbarry wrote:
When I was in graduate school, I would get so frustrated with some of my physics problems. I would try the same erroneous approaches, expecting different solutions. I would finally go to bed exhausted, only to wake up at 3:00am with the answer to the problem. So I would hop out of bed and write it all down, since I knew I would forget come morning.

That used to happen to me a LOT when I did serious programming. Quite often I'd be having a code problem and wake up in the middle of the night with the solution. Had to get right up and fix the code as, if I went back to sleep, the solution would be gone.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:20 pm 
welcoming committee

'tis funny how the mind works sometimes. Or doesn't work sometimes.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:28 pm 

Actually I think this is associated with why I have trouble getting a full night's sleep. I just can't turn off my brain. It is like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going and going... :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:41 pm 
welcoming committee

Talk about getting off subject, but here goes. Each night about an hour before I go to bed, I take a 5 mg Melatonin tablet. I then another one in the middle of the night if I wake up. Really helps me, with no side effects. It is an OTC med that can be purchased just about anyplace....like the drug store you use to work at, or Walmart, etc.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:44 pm 

Are we not famous for getting off topic??? ;)

LOL! I'm always going to get some Melatonin but never remember... Go figure... :dunno:

Board index » Technical Forums » Security