Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:25 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
As some know I installed a pretty full blown programming suite that includes both C and Visual Basic. The package will compile for Windows, Apple, Android and I think Linux. It will also compile for mobile and/or non-mobile devices.

As to the app thought... Many people use e-readers and tablets to read. I'm sure many are like me and, at times, wake up in the morning with the thing on their chest with a dead battery. I don't really know if this is doable, heck, it may already be out there. Anyway, use the device's camera to monitor the user's eyes. If the eyes close for a predetermined amount of time set by the user the app would throw the system to standby to conserve the battery. This could also be done by monitoring screen activity such as if a page is not turned in so much time go to standby. The latter may be more reasonable as I don't know if one can control the camera enough to detect if eyes are open or closed.

Really the above would not be much different than a sleep or standby if inactive for x amount of time but would be specific to reading.

Any thoughts?

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:43 pm 
Fearless Leader

I go with the inactive option. But I'm sure some readers, if not most, already do that. If you look into their options. Both my Nook and Kindle do. Not sure about the ones on the phone.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:09 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
You are probably right Patty. No, I have not looked at the settings for my NOOK app on my Android, it may well be there.

LOL! Mayhaps I'm desperate. ;) I've installed all this programming software and have no idea as to what to write. Shoot, I have to figure out how to justify ~25-30GB on my SSD for this stuff. Of course I really don't and can remove at any time.

My problem seems to be that I can't think of "NEW" stuff to write. For the most part it seems that all that comes to mind is re-writes of stuff I've already done. I don't want re-writes, I want something new. I guess my problem is in finding something new to do. I've programmed in 7 or 8 different programming languages, can do well with manipulating video files and some other stuff.

I need something new to do and can't seem to find what it is... Mayhaps I'm looking to hard. Of course the 'new' does not need to actually be programming, just new and different. I have a desktop, a laptop and a tablet and, in reality, do nothing with any of them. That isn't me and I don't know what I'm looking to do. Sigh, as soon as I quit looking I'll probably find it. ;)

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:29 am 

Sounds like someone has too much time on their hands. :rofl2:

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:55 am 
Fearless Leader

Write a music program geared to classical music. Something that you can sort by genre, composer, performer, orchestra, conductor, label and recording date! :) That also plays music, by the way. Well I supposed it will only have minimal use if it doesn't sync to a device.

Let's see... you could contact companies that don't have Windows Phone apps and work out a deal to make an app for them. Like Starbucks, like Nook, like Onpoint, like Square.

LOL I can't think how many times I've said to my husband, why don't you write an app for that? You'd make a million bucks! But I don't remember what the things were. If I do remember, I'll add them here.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)